Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Canon MP830 connected via USB on Airport?

Canon MP830 connected via USB on Airport?
badtz
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2006, 03:48 PM

Has anyone tried hooking up their Canon MP830 to the USB port of the Airport? Does the scan-to-computer feature still work when done this way? Most likely the printing will work, just wondering if the scan will work wirelessly

thanks!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2006, 04:34 PM

AFAIK, no.

badtz  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2006, 10:30 PM

after some more research, that seems like the case.

Funny how canon released two new printers, but each of them missing features that the other printer has [MP800R and MP830]

blah.

WelshDog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by badtz
after some more research, that seems like the case.

Funny how canon released two new printers, but each of them missing features that the other printer has [MP800R and MP830]

blah.
Yep, I have a new MP830 as well. Canon claims the unit is Mac compatible, but I beg to differ.

Unbelieveable: no Bonjour support, so it won't work when connected to an AE. Yes some other Canon printers are Bonjour enabled and will work on an Airport so why won't their flagship multifunction machine do it? I used Bonjour Browser to check and it does not appear when connected to the AE Base. I am able to share the MP830 off an old iMac and thus can get to it via my Powerbook through Airport. Not what I expected. I had a $50 Epson that worked on the Airport and I replaced it with the MP830. Didn't expect a downgrade.

The other big complaint is faxing from a Mac, or rather the lack of. Do other printers allow faxing from Tiger or is there something missing in OS X? I noticed that in Printer Setup Utility when you add a printer, there is an item called "MP830 Fax". If you select it it loads, but you cannot choose a driver - no Canon driver appears in the list. Regardless, the result is no faxing from the computer.

I can live without these features - we use the machine at home, not in a busy office, but it is very disappointing.

badtz  (op)
Mac Elite
May 23, 2006, 02:45 PM

have you tried adding the printer (IP printing) by using your AE's ip address instead of bonjour? that might work.

unfortunately, not sure about the faxing from the computer to the printer. If you have an older Mac, a solution would be to just wire the computer with a phone cord.

WelshDog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2006, 03:16 PM

have you tried adding the printer (IP printing) by using your AE's ip address instead of bonjour? that might work.

unfortunately, not sure about the faxing from the computer to the printer. If you have an older Mac, a solution would be to just wire the computer with a phone cord.

I might try it this weekend. How exactly do I do that, just add the AE Base IP address in the Printer Setup "add printer" dialog? Doesn't the MP830 need to be an IP printer, because I don't think it is.

badtz  (op)
Mac Elite
May 26, 2006, 02:33 AM

try going into the printer setup and choose "IP printer" then choose "IPP" under protocol, then enter the AE Base IP for the address.

Then choose the model printer at the bottom (assuming you installed the drivers).

Hopefully that works?

WelshDog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2006, 09:06 PM

try going into the printer setup and choose "IP printer" then choose "IPP" under protocol, then enter the AE Base IP for the address.

Then choose the model printer at the bottom (assuming you installed the drivers).

Hopefully that works?
No worky. The drivers for the Canon don't support IPP apparently. When I proceed as you explained there are no Canon drivers in the list even though I have installed the most up-to-date drivers from Canon. I tried auto-selecting a printer/driver from the pulldown, but it chose "Generic Postscript Printer" which of course won't work since the MP830 is not post script.

Nothing is going to happen here until Canon decides to get on the ball and make drivers that provide full Apple support including Bonjour and faxing from a Mac. Until then I guess I have to grin and bear it.

Thanks for your help.

badtz  (op)
Mac Elite
May 29, 2006, 02:51 AM

ouch not sure what else to say. I was interested in the printer too, but realized there's no ethernet/wireless capabilities. As I would either like to share it on the network somehow and scan direct to a computer (not directly connecting).

Maybe the next iteration

WelshDog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2006, 08:10 PM

I got it to work on the AE Base! A guy called dwb in one of the Apple discussions gave us this:

If you cannot see the printer in the list of Bonjour printers, you have a problem - which is probably easy to fix. Turn off the printer. Turn off the AirPort base station (unplug it). Turn on the printer and then the base station. Now return to your computer and open the Print Setup Utility. You should be able to see the printer now.
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....41752&#2641752

After doing this it popped up as a Bonjour printer. Works great.

Now if we can get the faxing directly from a Mac (via direct USB connection I'm sure) I'll be satisfied.

badtz  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2006, 01:30 AM

thanks for the tip WelshDog!!!! Now for wireless scanning

hmmm ... now I'm more interested in the printer .... !

I wish I could somehow scan documents to the Mac though .....

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2006, 02:37 AM

ouch not sure what else to say. I was interested in the printer too, but realized there's no ethernet/wireless capabilities. As I would either like to share it on the network somehow and scan direct to a computer (not directly connecting).

Maybe the next iteration
IIRC, there is only one printer/scanner combo on the market that will scan wirelessly, and it's an HP (with built-in WLAN).

badtz  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2006, 09:57 PM

most of the recent Brothers printers that have wireless/ethernet capabilities can scan through the network (wired/wireless).

WelshDog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2006, 01:31 PM

thanks for the tip WelshDog!!!! Now for wireless scanning

hmmm ... now I'm more interested in the printer .... !

I wish I could somehow scan documents to the Mac though .....
I found a discussion somewhere about this product, a USB server:

http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/.../homepage.spml

It will make any USB device connected to it appear as if it is connected directly to a USB port on your computer - over a network!!! It's not really a print server it is a USB server. The unit is connected to your network via ethernet and you plug in whatever USB device you want to see on the network. It apparently even works with Airport if the base station is connected to your LAN.

Have not tried it yet, but I'm thinking about it. It still wouldn't fix the no direct faxing issue.

stanford88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2007, 02:06 PM

Hi Welshdog,

Did you ever try the USB product and get wireless scanning to function?

Thanks,
Thomas

Forum Links
Forum Rules