Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMacs at WWDC

New iMacs at WWDC
Switched2Mac
Baninated
Jun 14, 2004, 12:52 AM

WWDC is quickly approaching (2 weeks out).

And yet Apple has already announced the following since the new year:

1. New Powerbooks
2. New iBooks
3. New PowerMac (and 2 retreads)
4. New Airport Express
5. New eMacs

What's left? Does anyone really think Steve Jobs is going to take the stage and have nothing new to announce of any significance? I doubt it.

So look at the list above and what is missing? Unless the iMac is going to be totally discontinued, which I doubt, then it is sorely overdue.

Perhaps we can expect a 1.6 gHz G5 20" iMac at WWDC?

Your thoughts everyone?

Big Fat Octopus
Jun 14, 2004, 01:29 AM

Well I for one will be very surprised if a G5 iMac is not announced soon, even if shipping date is not right away. G5 1.6 and 1.8 processors would be a MAJOR upgrade and would liven sales substantially.

To me it makes a lot of sense for an iMac G5 to be released ahead of a Powerbook G5 if it is technically easier to do. So I don't think that Apple would hold off a G5 iMac for 6mths just to allow a laptop to stay ahead of it specs wise. That'd just be silly.

So I agree. A G5 iMac is just the boost needed to round off the Apple line nicely.
- 24" iMac 2.4Ghz 4GB 500GB
- PMG4 450Mhz 384Mb OSXserver.
- iPhone 3GS

storer
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2004, 01:44 AM

I agree. The iMac isn't a computer I would buy: except for the LCD you can get the same in an eMac, and it's cheaper. The current iMac doesn't have a place; its either eMac for schools/small business or G5 for more powered things. where does the iMac fit in? I too doubt very very much that the iMac will be discontinued. Just heavily revised...

Forum Links
Forum Rules