Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > No G5 PowerBooks Until At Least WWDC 2005?

No G5 PowerBooks Until At Least WWDC 2005?
Switched2Mac
Baninated
Jul 14, 2004, 07:51 PM

No G5 PowerBooks Until at Least WWDC 2005?

And this means shipping or in retail stores! Not announced today but shipping in 3 months. The day you receive your pre-ordered unit or can go to the local Apple Store and walk out with the product is what I am talking about.

So this is my latest guess.

Before you comment, better check out my last guess made on March 13th as everyone was expecting the imminent release of new PowerMacs:

No New PowerMacs Until WWDC

100% correct.

And it was one of the most active threads in that forum!

All the old-time MacNN folks came forward to tell the new "Switcher" how wrong he was. Yeah.

Everyone scoffed, but in the end ... I was right.

------------------------------------------------------------

Heat.

Heat problems are an issue with any CPU but it is especially a problem with the G5's.

They are supposedly having all sorts of issues with the hot G5 in the iMac. Intel is having similar problems as well too. It is not just a G5 thing.

G5 Heat Issues

And the latest PowerMac requires a special water cooling design. Unless there is a huge cooling or CPU heat breakthrough, we will reach a point where the size of the case dictated by the requisite cooling apparatus will become unfeasible in the consumer market. Do I think there will be a solution by then? Of course! But it won't be solved tomorrow.

Does anyone here really think that Apple will be able to put a G5 chip into the PowerBook and manage to keep it cool before the WWDC in 2005?

Won't happen any time soon.

And every 12" PowerBook owner knows just what I am talking about. It shocks me to read people in this forum thinking that the G5 PowerBook will be out by the end of the year. You must be kidding.

Maybe IBM can come up with a G5 Mobile chip that runs cooler (and slower, but is that what a PowerBook owner would want?!) to get it in the 12" PowerBook form factor.

Am I happy about this? NO! Not at all. But there it is.

Anyway, I am interested in hearing everyone's opinion on the matter.

solero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2004, 07:58 PM

I agree - no G5 powerbooks before WWDC 2005

Switched2Mac  (op)
Baninated
Jul 14, 2004, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by solero:
I agree - no G5 powerbooks before WWDC 2005
And I am not faulting Apple either.

It is just a problem (CPU heat) that has no easy or quick solution at the current time in terms of the PowerBook series.

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 08:33 PM

Yay!

I can buy my G4!
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 11:29 PM

dude, don't talk about G5 powerbooks, you'll make my brand new 12in cry. Poor little guy.

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2004, 02:11 AM

And it was one of the most active threads in that forum!

All the old-time MacNN folks came forward to tell the new "Switcher" how wrong he was. Yeah.

Everyone scoffed, but in the end ... I was right.
lmfao...

mc786030
Jul 15, 2004, 03:06 AM

So...that means u'll be right this time?

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2004, 03:09 AM

Keep in mind that all this talk of nine fans and liquid cooling are due to the high clock speeds of the G5. Do you honestly think they're going to try and squeeze dual processor 2.5GHz or dual processor 1.8GHz in a PowerBook? It's not the same thing at all. Also, I don't give a crap about your past 3 sentences you made 4 months ago. In the end nobody knows crap, Apple surprises everyone all the time and you making a statement that happens to be correct is just luck/something that a lot of people thought anyways. That being said, here's my prediction, no new Macs until September. Wait a few months and see if I'm right

Note: I'm not even disregarding the idea that it won't come until WWDC 05, in fact I don't even care, I seriously doubt I'll be updating my PowerBook again even if it is amazing. My point is that to harp "you're amazing record" and to base it on the singular fact that everybody knows and has been repeating forever, heat. To that I say no ****. Everybody knows it's a technical hurdle to get a G5 in there, most people know it probably (refer to note about nobody knowing nothing above) it won't come before the end of the year. And most people realize that it probably won't come a few months after that. Anyways, my point again is that I'm not even claiming that your "personal" theory is wrong but rather it's just a bit annoying that you're off here yelling about something we've already been talking about for months; just so you can tack another ribbon to your wall of achievments. If you actually provided a reason of your own that was insightful and led to new discussion then I might actually care. Either way I'm sure we'll get some of that anyways, so for that I wait. But until then this thread is pointless.

P.S. That poll was on of the most the ridiculous I've seen on here. BioWorld, MySQL Conference?

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2004, 03:13 AM

It doesn't mean he'll be right... but he does have a very valid point. I really don't know why some people thought they would be out around now.... but it's not really a big deal as we're not apple insiders so it's all just speculation. Anyway, wouldn't it be sweet to see a dual 2.0ghz PB? Hehe... one can only hope!

BTW, I beliee intel is working on a dual centrino type setup. I remember reading about it a while back. They are going to have 2 processors on one chip each running at 1.8+ ghz and each with their own 2mb L2
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2004, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by Switched2Mac:
No G5 PowerBooks Until at Least WWDC 2005?
Certainly not before MWSF in January 2005. Maybe not even until WWDC 2005. I have no idea. I couldn't care less! That's why I just bought my new 12-inch PowerBook G4. I am now happy and productive, even without a G5.

Bottom line: Don't bother waiting for what's around the corner. Buy what you need, when you need it.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2004, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by escher:
Certainly not before MWSF in January 2005. Maybe not even until WWDC 2005. I have no idea. I couldn't care less! That's why I just bought my new 12-inch PowerBook G4. I am now happy and productive, even without a G5.

Bottom line: Don't bother waiting for what's around the corner. Buy what you need, when you need it.

Escher
That was probably one of the best posts ever.

I totally agree. The current line of Powerbook (and iBooks) are plenty fast and awesome.

Who knows if we will even see a G5 in a laptop in 2005 at all? Maybe 2006 will be the year. A 1.5 G4 is a very nice machine. I want one! Anybody want my 1.0 17"?
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by escher:

Escher
You're right...

...but...like...G5...ahh!
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Forum Links
Forum Rules