Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Hallo, I just got a dual 2 ghz, and have a question.

Hallo, I just got a dual 2 ghz, and have a question.
John Pollock
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2004, 09:32 PM

I was given a dual 2 ghz power mac G5, and I cant stand Mac OS X. Is it possible to install Windows XP on the hardware?

jld
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2004, 09:34 PM

nope.
12" AlBook • 15" Albook • G4 Cube • iSight • Original iPod • PB 100 • Newton 110 • Quicktake 100

John Pollock  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2004, 09:36 PM

Why?

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2004, 09:40 PM

i smell a troll.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

John Pollock  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2004, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
i smell a troll.
It is a legitimate question...

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 15, 2004, 09:58 PM

If you don't like it, I'll give you up to a thousand bucks and an athlon xp 2600 system that can run winxp.
Edit: Depending on the model, conditions, and specs, of course.
( Last edited by Scotttheking; Jul 15, 2004 at 10:05 PM. )
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 15, 2004, 09:59 PM

It's not a PC, so no, you cannot.

Either tell your parents to take it back, sell it, or live with it.

tooki

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2004, 10:05 PM

No you cannot install XP and OSX has a good spell checker that would have told you how to spell "Hello".

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

sideus
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2004, 10:28 PM

April Fools!

unregistered
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2004, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by John Pollock:
I was given a dual 2 ghz power mac G5, and I cant stand Mac OS X. Is it possible to install Windows XP on the hardware?
I don't want to start a flame party, but I have to ask. What don't you like about Mac OS X?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2004, 10:57 PM

The Macintosh uses PowerPC processors based on the RISC architecture, with custom chipsets to control various aspects of the computer. Your average PC uses either Pentium or Athlon processors (although there are other microprocessor companies, those are the two major vendors), while similar in some respects to RISC, they are still tied to the original x86 instruction set.

Microsoft only writes WindowsXP for the x86 architecture. There are PowerPC variants of WindowsNT and 2000, but they are either inhouse projects or only available for corporate sales. In the event you should even acquire a PowerPC version of Windows, it will not run any x86 binaries, and, unless you have the latest internal build from Microsoft, will probably not run on a Macintosh anyway.

There are several options of getting WindowsXP to run in an emulator. You can use either VirtualPC or WINE and run that on top of Mac OS X, or you can just use WINE and run it under your favorite Linux or UNIX distro.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 12:00 AM

don't mean to sound like a jerk... but for God's sake, why?

I would rather run an intel box with OS X, than a Mac box with Windows XP.... The problem with Wintel, is the "Win" part.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

cal6n
Jul 16, 2004, 05:27 AM

Originally posted by Scotttheking:
If you don't like it, I'll give you up to a thousand bucks and an athlon xp 2600 system that can run winxp.
Edit: Depending on the model, conditions, and specs, of course.
And should you be in England, I'll make the same offer!
G5LC, 6 GB 1.07 TB 6800 GT & 30" (Workhorse)
1.4 GHz Cube 512 MB 60 GB (headless folding)
15" 1.67 GHz Ali G4 PB, 1.5 GB 100 GB (VJ rig 1 & Uni)
15" 1 GHz Ali G4 PB, 1.5 GB 60 GB (VJ rig 2)
G4 800 MHz Ti PB, 512 MB 60 GB (Lounge)

John Pollock  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2004, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
The Macintosh uses PowerPC processors based on the RISC architecture, with custom chipsets to control various aspects of the computer. Your average PC uses either Pentium or Athlon processors (although there are other microprocessor companies, those are the two major vendors), while similar in some respects to RISC, they are still tied to the original x86 instruction set.

Microsoft only writes WindowsXP for the x86 architecture. There are PowerPC variants of WindowsNT and 2000, but they are either inhouse projects or only available for corporate sales. In the event you should even acquire a PowerPC version of Windows, it will not run any x86 binaries, and, unless you have the latest internal build from Microsoft, will probably not run on a Macintosh anyway.

There are several options of getting WindowsXP to run in an emulator. You can use either VirtualPC or WINE and run that on top of Mac OS X, or you can just use WINE and run it under your favorite Linux or UNIX distro.
That is most certainly the most helpful post so far. Just one question; what is the performance on these emulators like?

willab
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2004, 10:18 AM

That is most certainly the most helpful post so far. Just one question; what is the performance on these emulators like?
The Virtual PC version for the G5 has not been released. From what I have heard far too slow to play games. If you don't like it sell it, or play with more and you'll start to like it.
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 10:18 AM

Last I heard Virtual PC doesn't work on the G5...

frankly if you want a post to be helpful, then here it is.

Learn OS X, and discover the better OS. Seriously.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
Apple user since 1981

John Pollock  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2004, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by willab:
The Virtual PC version for the G5 has not been released. From what I have heard far too slow to play games. If you don't like it sell it, or play with more and you'll start to like it.
I don't play games.

Originally posted by UnixMac:
Last I heard Virtual PC doesn't work on the G5...

frankly if you want a post to be helpful, then here it is.

Learn OS X, and discover the better OS. Seriously.
I guess I was being too harsh a bit earlier, I don't dislike OS X, I am just extremely used to Windows...

So when will Virtual PC for the G5 be released?

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 11:23 AM

I don't play games.

I guess I was being too harsh a bit earlier, I don't dislike OS X, I am just extremely used to Windows...

In the works now... very soon I am told.

Do try to learn the in and outs of OS X though. While we can debate the merits of G5 vs P4 all day long and never settle that... the OS debate is far more one sided... There is a movement afoot in the Intel world to get OS X onto the PC platform and more than 200,000 people have signed the petition which fell on deaf ears at Apple.. however the same cannot be said of Windows XP... NT is another story, but that is also useless on a home machine.

Good luck with your delima.
Apple user since 1981

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2004, 11:26 AM

It seems to be a bit of a mystery. I've heard rumors as late as October. If someone knows differently, I'd sure like to hear about it.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 16, 2004, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
There are PowerPC variants of WindowsNT and 2000, but they are either inhouse projects or only available for corporate sales.
The last version of Windows on PPC was WinNT 4.0. And it didn't run on Power Mac hardware, because it's not just about the processor, it's the whole architecture.

Absolutely lousy. For comparison, Virtual PC running on my 1.25GHz PowerBook G4 performs roughly as well as a 250ish MHz Pentium. So a G5 at 2GHz might reach the performance of a 400MHz Pentium. Even if it used both CPUs (which is unlikely, IMHO), then you'd be using a $3000 Mac to emulate a $200 PC. Except that the PC would still be better, because it would have a real graphics chip.

Virtual PC exists for the Mac user who needs to run a Windows-only program now and then, and even then only for processor-light applications. It's not viable as a full-time solution.

So either learn OS X or buy a PC. Of course, we'd love to see the former happen!

tooki

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 11:35 AM

I was given a dual 2 ghz power mac G5, and I cant stand Mac OS X.
I'll take it.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 16, 2004, 12:17 PM

You'll have to beat Scotttheking's offer!

tooki

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2004, 03:20 PM

I wasn't aware that VPC wasn't out for the G5 yet. Seems like a waste of money and time on waiting. My suggestion (since you don't play games) is to bite the bullet and use Mac OS X. You might be used to Windows, but I assure you should be able to use Mac OS X without any problems.

I thought I'd mention that Office 2004 for Mac has been touted as the best version of Office to date. Apparently it tromps the Windows version in features, functionality, and usability. These are reviews from PC and Windows magazines, by the way.

Give it it a shot, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2004, 03:22 PM

Oh yeah, and if you don't like the look of OS X, you can always skin it with a custom theme.

real
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2004, 03:58 PM

IF you dont like OSX then sell the G5. Then use that money for a PC. You also hate trying to use the G5 with Virtual PC.

But I would give OSX a shot. OS X feels and acts different but we all beleive it is the better option. There is everybody from users that just surf the web and use word to pro graphic artists and Video & film professionals to IT pros that use the mac. We are not useing OSX because we dont know anything else but use the Mac(OSX) because we feel the choice is the better one.

Good luck if you are haveing trouble useing OSX ask some questions we will all be happy to answer them.

real
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

Switched2Mac
Baninated
Jul 16, 2004, 10:24 PM

I'll trade you a compaq X1360US laptop (great for gaming).

PM me.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2004, 11:29 AM

I'll give you $1000 plus a PC with an AthlonXP 2700+, Asus n-force 2 mobo, 128MB Radeon 9800 Pro, 18" Dell 1800FP LCD, 512MB RAM, Pioneer DVR-107D 8x DVD-/+RW and a 120GB Western Digital 8MB special edition HD, and WinXP Pro.
And I'll pay for shipping.

John Pollock  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2004, 11:43 AM

I am not going to sell it as it was a birthday present from my parents, and I already have a decent PC. I have been playing around on OS X, and I am starting to like it, so thanks for all of your help.

rareflares
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2004, 10:00 PM

John Pollock, you are the luckiest human being alive to be just GIVEN a Dual 2.0 Ghz G5 by your parents.

OSX does take some getting used to since you've been using Windows your whole life but once you take some time to learn it, you realize how vastly superior it is. Congrats on your new computer, you will no doubt enjoy using it.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2004, 06:41 PM

Hey John, I know a quick way to get you to love OS X. F9, F10, and F11 baby. Especially F11. Panther is awesome.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2004, 10:52 PM

better yet hold shift while pressing those key's or clicking on the yellow button on the top left of your window while holding shift.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2004, 11:21 PM

Originally posted by macaddict0001:
better yet hold shift while pressing those key's or clicking on the yellow button on the top left of your window while holding shift.
Woahhh!!! I've been using OS X for almost a year now (used to use windows...) and I've never seen that! thats the sweetest thing ever

Forum Links
Forum Rules