Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Acquisition 113.2 (latest) hanging OSX completely!!!!

Acquisition 113.2 (latest) hanging OSX completely!!!!
Switched2Mac
Baninated
Oct 26, 2004, 10:48 PM

I downloaded this on my brand new PowerMac G5 single 1.8 gHz.

All hardware has passed the Hardware Test.

The results are the same with the extra 1 gig of RAM I added or with it removed.

Whenever I run Acquisition, it works fine. But the PowerMac will NOT restart, or enter sleep mode. If I don't run Acquisition, and run every other piece of software on the PowerMac, then no problems.

The number of threads is around 150 and memory usage is fine. Lots of free RAM, but everything starts to hang (especially the loginwindow and finder). The SuperDrive door will not even open (whether CD is present or not).

I have to COLD BOOT my Mac (I thought only WinXP had these problems, apparently NOT!)

As long as I don't run Acquisition, there is no problem. Clearly, Acquisition is the issue.

I have seen others online mention problems similar to this as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions? (besides not running Acquisition!)

And please tell me how one application is able to take out the entire UNIX based OS.

Thanks in advance!

Oneota
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 10:51 PM

I've run into the same issue on my G5. Seems to be a Java problem that Acquisition is exposing. I think it's ultimately up to Apple to fix it, but I doubt it's at the top of their list.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 10:55 PM

I had a semi-similar problem with Aquisition over a year ago. Then I found XFactor and never looked back. Seemed to get more results, quicker.

Switched2Mac  (op)
Baninated
Oct 26, 2004, 11:10 PM

I am not a big fan of JAVA apps either.

At work, we run WinXP and some websites will only work if you run JRE v1.4.2, yet others give errors. Then other sites will work with any version. Then others will only work with v1.4.4 (or whatever). So much for cross-platform Java compatibility! These Java apps cannot even run compatibly amongst its own versions on one platform!

Now I first noticed the problem when I went to open the SuperDrive (it was empty) and insert a blank CD. I hit the keyboard eject key and saw the transparent symbol on the display indicating that I hit the button OK. But the SuperDrive never opens. I have also tried the eject button in iTunes (which locks it up solid) and then the eject.menu choice from the top menu bar (which locks the finder).

And then the PowerMac will not shutdown or go to sleep. I must literally cold boot it. So one application can take out OSX, hmmm, I thought this couldn't happen (or so goes the myth, espoused all too frequently in MacLand).

This problem is recreatable each time you run Acquisition v113.2 as well

I notice in the console and system logs that the loginwindow seems to hang first but there is not much in the logs during the crash.

If I do NOT run Acquisition at all, everything is fine. I love this new PowerMac too.

Does anyone have an older more stable version of Acquisition hanging around?

malvolio
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 01:59 AM

Chuck Acquisition in the trash and use acqlite or XFactor or even LimeWire.
The developer of Acquisition has been fighting a long battle against software pirates. Could this "freeze-up" be his latest anti-piracy gimmick?
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 06:59 AM

Originally posted by Switched2Mac:
I am not a big fan of JAVA apps either.

Does anyone have an older more stable version of Acquisition hanging around?
Well Acquisition isn't a JAVA app, it's been cocoa since the beginning (which was a long time ago), nevertheless go with something else; XFactor or Acqlite (this is a bit buggy). XFactor is the way to go now. You might also be interested in Solarseek, a Soleseek client that, although being a bit ugly at the moment, will soon get a major update and be so spiffing that it will redefine spiffyness.

Switched2Mac  (op)
Baninated
Oct 27, 2004, 08:01 AM

Originally posted by malvolio:
Chuck Acquisition in the trash and use acqlite or XFactor or even LimeWire.
The developer of Acquisition has been fighting a long battle against software pirates. Could this "freeze-up" be his latest anti-piracy gimmick?
Perhaps.

But I did register my copy via PayPal.

The registered version connects to dozens of servers as opposed to just 3-5 in the unregistered version. Searches seem better too. I was hoping that the registered version might not have the lockup problem (wink, wink).

But same problem.

And I really like the interface too.

Switched2Mac  (op)
Baninated
Oct 27, 2004, 08:05 AM

Originally posted by monkeybrain:
Well Acquisition isn't a JAVA app, it's been cocoa since the beginning (which was a long time ago), nevertheless go with something else; XFactor or Acqlite (this is a bit buggy). XFactor is the way to go now. You might also be interested in Solarseek, a Soleseek client that, although being a bit ugly at the moment, will soon get a major update and be so spiffing that it will redefine spiffyness.
It is not Java? Hmm.....ok.

My mistake then.

I tried XFactor, and the GUI is nice but takes forever to connect, search and download. I will look into SolarSeek though.

I also purchased LimeWire via PayPal too. I rank him 2nd to Acquisition though. But he doesn't lockup my computer.

BTW, I ran LimeWire and Xfactor for hours last night (separately, of course) and had no problems at all. PowerMac went to sleep fine and woke up this morning when I tapped a key.

So the problem is definitely Acquisition.......

cpac
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by Switched2Mac:
It is not Java? Hmm.....ok.
It is java. And it's cocoa.

The gnutella/limewire core of Acquisition is java, the rest of Acquisition is cocoa. The two are kept separate so that the author can charge for Acquisition.

Also - just to dispell some mis-information: (1) I'm sure crashiness is not an anti-piracy "gimmick" - that just doesn't make any sense; (2) the sole difference between the registered and unregistered versions is the presence of a nag alert that comes up every half-hour or so, and can make downloading larger files annoying. (Even the registered version limits you to 5 connections - unless you're acting as an ultra-peer in which case you may see more. If Acquisition allowed more than 5 connections it would likely be banned from the network and then wouldn't work at all...)
( Last edited by cpac; Oct 27, 2004 at 10:25 AM. )
cpac

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 27, 2004, 10:22 AM

Xfactor has been working for me really well lately.

Much better than the others that I had problems with constantly. :/

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 06:48 AM

I don't know what is it but Xfactor is extremely slow and unresponsive on my system. I just did a fresh install by the way so I really doubt it's the OS and all other apps are 100% responsive.

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 28, 2004, 03:06 PM

Really? Seems fast on my 1.25ghz G4.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 28, 2004, 04:06 PM

Nobody is using poisoned? If xfactor is not giving me good results, I usually go ahead and try with poisoned.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Really? Seems fast on my 1.25ghz G4.
Yeah, well it depends from day to day. Sometimes it works well sometimes it doesn't. I think it's the wheather.

Forum Links
Forum Rules