Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Strange Superdrive Issue - DVR-117D

Strange Superdrive Issue - DVR-117D
bsodmike
Oct 29, 2004, 09:21 PM

Hello All!

My brand new PM is giving trouble. The superdrive seems to fall asleep after the 1st hr of operation and I can not eject it. Attempting to eject it means the system will hang 'internally' as it's searching for it...

If I were to launch system profiler and click on ATA after this, it will HANG! ARGH!

So try to shutdown and it'll never happen!

HELP!

Thanks, Mike

Switched2Mac
Baninated
Oct 29, 2004, 10:15 PM

Similar problem here.

I have a brand new single processor PowerMac G5 1.8 GHz with 1.25 gigs RAM.

I have tested the RAM (before and after adding more) and its fine.

I have tested the rest of the system and its fine.

This ONLY happens to me (SuperDrive not ejecting) after I have been running a P2P client for some time (about 30 minutes). It ALWAYS happens with Acquisition v113.2 (latest).

I will also find the machine not in sleep but no awake either (ie. light not flashing slowly, yet will not turn monitor on hitting mouse or keystroke - and screensaver is off totally).

If I don't run Acquisition, no problem.

Can you give some more particulars?

BTW, I will run Command & Conquer for hours (really heat up every component) and it won't happen. So that rules out any heat related problems.

Switched2Mac
Baninated
Oct 29, 2004, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by Switched2Mac:
Similar problem here.

I have a brand new single processor PowerMac G5 1.8 GHz with 1.25 gigs RAM.

I have tested the RAM (before and after adding more) and its fine.

I have tested the rest of the system and its fine.

This ONLY happens to me (SuperDrive not ejecting) after I have been running a P2P client for some time (about 30 minutes). It ALWAYS happens with Acquisition v113.2 (latest).

I will also find the machine not in sleep but no awake either (ie. light not flashing slowly, yet will not turn monitor on hitting mouse or keystroke - and screensaver is off totally). And the system will not properly go to sleep (if I try to force it) or shutdown. I have to Cold Boot the system. Even after exiting Acquisition, this problem will persist until I cold reboot.

If I don't run Acquisition, no problem.

Can you give some more particulars?

BTW, I will run Command & Conquer for hours (really heat up every component) and it won't happen. So that rules out any heat related problems.

bsodmike  (op)
Oct 29, 2004, 11:25 PM

That is interesting. I got 1.25GB as well.

Yes, it won't sleep BECAUSE you have the P2P prog running I have Azureus running most of the time...

What I've done now is to disable HDD sleeping and sleeping of the G5 totally (I.e. sleep time = never)...

It has been past and hour now and the drive is Ejecting fine...

Confusing!

Mike

Madrag
Senior User
Nov 2, 2004, 03:21 PM

you're right bsodmike, the disable HD sleep avoids other drives to sleep as well!
that's been discussed at xlr8yourmac.

I think the same applies to other superdrive brands/models

Forum Links
Forum Rules