Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > HP LaserJet 1020 ($161) and OS X 10.4.2 Tiger - Perfect Together!

HP LaserJet 1020 ($161) and OS X 10.4.2 Tiger - Perfect Together!
Switched2Mac
Baninated
Aug 23, 2005, 12:38 AM

Over the weekend I picked up this nice little HP LaserJet 1020 ($161).

It does NOT mention OSX support but I bought anyway since I could always use it with my WinXP gaming machine (worst case).

I poked around the web and found this:

HP LaserJet 1022 OS X Drivers

I downloaded and installed it. Even though it says 1022, it works fine for the series (1020 included). I printed out a few rather complex Word documents. Each page printed very quickly too. I had seen some folks in other forums complaining that it printed slowly. I did not experience that at all. Mind you that I was not printing out massively complex graphical documents either.

But download that driver, install it, run the Printer Setup Utility. It will see the 1020 on your USB port just fine.

I was printing in less than 2 minutes.

ogun
Aug 23, 2005, 10:26 AM

HP's hardware, unlike their software, is very, very, very good. HP's laser software has always been better than their inkjet software. It's nice to see that they've finally managed to get USB connect laser software that works properly, the original HP USB drivers weren't too bad in OS X, but the OS 9 version depended on a long-defunct Apple technology which didn't work in Classic. Installing an original 11x0 on a machine which didn't boot OS 9 was quite interesting.

(Some of us must use Classic, given that there are those who send us Word Perfect files, and Word Perfect will _never_ be released for OS X. Nor is Word Perfect the only old application which will never be released for OS X in use around here.)

finboy
Aug 23, 2005, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by ogun

(Some of us must use Classic, given that there are those who send us Word Perfect files, and Word Perfect will _never_ be released for OS X. Nor is Word Perfect the only old application which will never be released for OS X in use around here.)
Amen to that.

baw
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2005, 05:58 PM

I have a HP LaserJet 1012. I love it.

tigas
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2005, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by ogun
Installing an original 11x0 on a machine which didn't boot OS 9 was quite interesting.
Whoa, be careful with those XXs. The Laserjet 1100 is a PARALLEL printer, and the only way we found to make it work was to set it up with a JetDirect print server or attached to a Windows machine with sharing via Samba. And we needed to get the Gimp-print drivers, that didn't come with 10.2 at the time.

ogun
Aug 28, 2005, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by tigas
Whoa, be careful with those XXs. The Laserjet 1100 is a PARALLEL printer, and the only way we found to make it work was to set it up with a JetDirect print server or attached to a Windows machine with sharing via Samba. And we needed to get the Gimp-print drivers, that didn't come with 10.2 at the time.
The 1100 is a parallel printer?! Damn. I must be misremembering, I was certain that the machine which gave me that problem was a 1100 or a 1120 or something like that, and it was USB. Gotta go and have an actual look at the printer on Monday or Tuesday.

Forum Links
Forum Rules