Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > best console / Mac integration

best console / Mac integration
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2008, 07:52 AM

I've been reading about how people get their XBox or PS3 acting like media centres, streaming data from their PC, using the PS3/XBox for surfing etc etc., and I was wondering what -in the not so humble opinions of the gurus on MacNN - is the best combination of console with a Mac.

What have you got running in terms of console <-> Mac comms
Streaming media
anything else 'funky' that you've done with the two

cheers.

P.S. I don't want this to get into a PS3 vs XBox vs Wii flame fest, please.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2008, 11:02 AM

The best combo is A Mac, Connect 360 and an Xbox.

Wii can't do **** and PS3 is almost as good as the Xbox.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2008, 11:10 AM

Do you use MediaLink for getting stuff from your Mac to your PS3, or are there alternatives?

moep
Senior User
Jul 9, 2008, 11:53 AM

I own all three consoles. The PS3 (which I bought only two days ago) is now the clearly the best multimedia device in my eyes.

The Xbox 360 still has the edge when it comes to games, but I stopped caring about that a while ago which is why I'm probably going to sell it sometime soon.
As for the Wii as a multimedia center, humm, not so sure about that.
  • Bluray
  • 1080p. Excellent upscaling for DVDs.
  • uPnP for streaming, no extremely annoying proprietary windows media center crap.
  • Linux support.

The last point is huge, huge, huge for me.
You could rip and encode DVDs using nothing but the PS3 itself — and of course you can watch them from the harddisk too (only using Linux though).
Or abuse your PS3 as a torrent station. Or run mt-daapd to serve mp3s from your PS3 to iTunes. The possibilites are literally endless.

And Bluray movies in 1080p on a decent TV are really eye popping.
Planet Earth on a TV á la Sony 52W4000 with a PS3 is absolutely stunning when it comes to image quality.

I'd also like to note that the PS3 is in for a die-shrink. If you can afford to wait a 2-3 months, the next PS3 will run a lot cooler and Sony might even throw in a small price-cut for the new SKU.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2008, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by moep View Post
I'd also like to note that the PS3 is in for a die-shrink. If you can afford to wait a 2-3 months, the next PS3 will run a lot cooler and Sony might even throw in a small price-cut for the new SKU.
Where did you hear/read that? I have a sealed MGS4 bundle I've been dying to open but haven't had time yet. Maybe I'll wait if a slim, cooler, quieter PS3 is around the corner. hmmmmm

moep
Senior User
Jul 9, 2008, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
Where did you hear/read that? I have a sealed MGS4 bundle I've been dying to open but haven't had time yet. Maybe I'll wait if a slim, cooler, quieter PS3 is around the corner. hmmmmm
The rumor has been around for quite a while now. It's just a matter of time, fall seems realistic.
PS3 graphics chip going 65nm this Fall, IBM shrinks Cell to 45nm. (Feb '08)

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2008, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by moep View Post
I own all three consoles. The PS3 (which I bought only two days ago) is now the clearly the best multimedia device in my eyes.
Well the PS3 is great for BR and DVD but the Xbox still has the edge as it plays more media file types and you can plug your iPod right into it.

80% of the AVI's I threw at the PS3 it couldn't play when the 360 could.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2008, 05:08 PM

analogue SPRINKLES : Do you mean that films on the Mac could be played on the TV via Connect360 and the XBox? What about stuff that Quicktime has problems with and only VLC can read?

moep
Senior User
Jul 9, 2008, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
analogue SPRINKLES : Do you mean that films on the Mac could be played on the TV via Connect360 and the XBox? What about stuff that Quicktime has problems with and only VLC can read?
I think what he means is that the Xbox 360 officially supports DivX/Xvid right out of the box. Pretty darn useful if you're getting your movies through bittorrent, no doubt.

sogbrightlight
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2008, 08:00 PM

I haven't had one AVI the PS3 couldn't play. I also play the AVIs natively through the PS3. Not linux. I think it's a great machine. The new update is pretty nice too. I think the games are starting to roll out also. MGS4 was great and the PS3 will get better games very soon.
Bla Bla Bla

Forum Links
Forum Rules