Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > HOOK UP PROBLEM between computers

HOOK UP PROBLEM between computers
SCOTT TEAGUE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2008, 05:43 PM

I'm tring to hook up a IMAC to a G4 to transfer video to each other. I'm using a 6 pin IEEE cable for hook up and I still can't make it transfer the program from IMOVIE from the IMAC to the G4 with IMOVIE HD. What do I need? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Scott

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2008, 05:52 PM

You mean you're trying to do a file transfer with a 6 pin IEEE 1394 Firewire cable? If so, you can either do it through Firewire networking, or, more commonly, Firewire Target Disk Mode.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

SCOTT TEAGUE  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2008, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
You mean you're trying to do a file transfer with a 6 pin IEEE 1394 Firewire cable? If so, you can either do it through Firewire networking, or, more commonly, Firewire Target Disk Mode.
I'm tring to export a finished movie out of an IMAC into a G4 IMAC on imovie HD through a double ended 6 pin IEEE 1394 cable. I can't get it to work.

Scott

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2008, 09:38 PM

You can't do that. Reboot one of the computers in target disk mode and copy the files across.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2008, 03:17 AM

You can copy the file.

Just connect the FW cable. Sys Prefs > Network > Built-in FireWire. This is the fastest networking available if you don't have Gigabit.

Your Mac Help has more information if you do a search for "ip over firewire". And the Apple KB has a few articles too.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...5/en/8707.html
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...en/mh1845.html
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h.../en/11938.html

FW Target Disk Mode works as well of course. But it requires a reboot. IP over FW doesn't and hence it's more convenient in many cases.
( Last edited by Simon; Aug 7, 2008 at 04:35 AM. Reason: fixinated)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2008, 04:05 AM

I think he's trying to output Firewire video source directly from iMovie to the iMac, as one would output back to a camcorder. That's not possible, but moving the files is.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2008, 04:22 AM

Yeah, you can't just use Firewire and expect that one of the computers is going to work just like a camcorder.

The best way is to use target disk mode to copy the files over, assuming the movie project will work in the other version of iMovie.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2008, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I think he's trying to output Firewire video source directly from iMovie to the iMac, as one would output back to a camcorder. That's not possible, but moving the files is.
I see.

So yeah, you have to copy the file. You can do that through FW TDM or through IP over FW.

hht311
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2008, 12:51 PM

If I have a Mac in Target Disk Mode connected to an iMac.
Can I restart the iMac using the Mac Mini as the startup disk ?

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 11, 2008, 09:28 AM

I've started off a CD/DVD in a mac connected as target disk mode, so it should be possible - but there are details, like making sure that both macs are powerpc or intel, and not mixed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules