Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook G4 15"/1.33 GHz vs. iBook G4 14"/1 GHz

Powerbook G4 15"/1.33 GHz vs. iBook G4 14"/1 GHz
warpedten
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2004, 10:44 PM

Hi all, I'm new to the forums here, but I have to say I'm impressed by the community you guys have going here. Anyways, on to the question...

I'm in the market for a laptop to replace my Power Mac G4/533. I don't think I could deal with a 12 inch screen and the 17 inchers are too expensive, so that leaves me with either the new Powerbook G4 15 inch/1.33 GHz model or the iBook G4 14 inch/1 GHz computer. Whichever I get, I was planning on getting the default options, plus an airport card (for the iBook). But I can't decide which one....here's what it's come down to:

Powerbook Advantages:
Faster Processor and Bus
Higher resolution display
Waaaay better graphics card
Better contrast ratio (according to the guy at the apple store)
Dual-monitor support (I know there's a hack on the iBook for this, but...)
Can run while closed -- this would be useful for watching a movie...
Better speakers
Looks Cooler : )

iBook Advantages:
Cheaper (by $400 refurbished or $500 with the edu discount)
4:3 screen ratio (I'm not a huge fan of the widescreen)
Longer Battery Life
Cheaper

Plus two "iBook Advantages" I'm not sure about...
Doesn't heat up as much (on your legs)?
Doesn't have display problems (uneven illumination, white spots)

I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means, but I do game sometimes and I'm concerned about the graphical ability of the system. I'm also really concerned about the Powerbook display problems I've been hearing about. And of course there's price. I'm a college student, so money isn't exactly at an all-time high. I mostly plan on using the computer around the house and on campus.

I wanted to know about you guys' (and gals') experiences with both computers and get some advice. And is it worth it to wait until refurbished units of the new models come out, to save money? Sorry about the super-long post, and thanks in advance!

nate_02
Senior User
May 4, 2004, 10:55 PM

I couldn't go withough a widescreen notebook (I have a 15" Albook 1.25), i can do so much more. It's nice to be able to have ichat open right next to my safari browser or all the toolbars in photoshop along with my document. In Final cut I can have a wider timeline.

I consider myself a power user but even for the basic things I would still prefer the widescreen.

For me, the only time it got too hot to handle was when I was doing some Final Cut stuff along with a bunch of other things, in that case, I would never be using it on my lap. For basic stuff it just gets a little warm.

I would hope Apple fixed all of the display problems with this latest batch. We should be getting some reports soon on how they are.
-nate

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2004, 12:21 PM

Anything that works for you. I have worked with an iBook G4 14' and it runs just fine. But if you need to run heavier applications, specially video editing, then stick with the powerbooks.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 12:42 PM

Comparing the iBook to the PowerBook is like comparing a Toyota to a Lexus. Both a great cars, but there is a reason why one is "premium" and the other more generic.

I switched from my Dell to the 15" Titanium Powerbook running a 667Mhz, which I have since sold. I now have a 15" Al PB 1.25GHz. I've used my friend's iBook and while it's "cute" it did lack the creature comforts I was accustomed to on my PB. Also, it's not true about the iBook being that much cooler (temperature-wise). They both get hot underneath with usage. But so do the other laptops, PCs or Macs.

Go with the Powerbook, you'll LOVE it.

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2004, 01:18 PM

The new powerbooks are great. I own one myself loaded with a gig of ram and it runs wonderful.

solero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2004, 04:18 PM

You also have to consider that the Applecare (which in my opinion is an absolutely MUST have) for the PB i about 100$ more expensive than to the iBook!

sbc
Forum Regular
May 5, 2004, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by heresiarh:
The new powerbooks are great. I own one myself loaded with a gig of ram and it runs wonderful.
I was just playing with one at the store a while ago and they are excellent. I think pics online can make the 15" inch appears bigger than its realistic size. If it weren't for college expenses eating away at my pockets I'd by a maxed-out 15" today (and a couple of other gadgets to compliment it too )
Am I ready for the Mac? I want a 60G iPod!!!!!

riotge@r
Forum Regular
May 5, 2004, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by solero:
You also have to consider that the Applecare (which in my opinion is an absolutely MUST have) for the PB i about 100$ more expensive than to the iBook!
If you are buying a PowerBook what is an extra $100 for AppleCare?
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2004, 06:40 PM

hmm

crouchingtiger
Forum Regular
May 5, 2004, 06:44 PM

given the choice posed, I'd definitely spring the extra few hundred bucks for the Powerbook. The iBook is nice, but the Powerbook is definitely much more powerful and capable. I owned an iBook G3/800 and side-graded to a TiBook 800 which has been a fantastic improvement.

The other thing to consider is that you will recover much (but maybe not all) of that $500 difference if you sell the computer in the future.

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2004, 06:48 PM

make sure that you get applecare though.

warpedten  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2004, 04:02 AM

Thanks for the help, all. I *think* I'm going to go for the powerbook as soon as my next paycheck comes in, as long as I don't hear about any display problems between now and then. I still have to decide about the applecare though.

Does anyone know any good online retailers (or stores in the Sacramento, California area)? Besides apple.com, I mean : )

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2004, 07:08 AM

Well there were a lot of display problems with the pbooks, but thankfully my luck has been good so far.

crouchingtiger
Forum Regular
May 6, 2004, 01:12 PM

AppleCare is fine if you can afford it, but I usually just save money and buy my computers with American Express (or Visas that have similar benefits) -- extends the warranty by one year to 2 years. I figure if anything's going to happen it's in those two years...

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2004, 01:24 PM

AMEX is a great ccard.

HAL9000
Forum Regular
May 9, 2004, 06:41 AM

Originally posted by heresiarh:
Anything that works for you. I have worked with an iBook G4 14' and it runs just fine. But if you need to run heavier applications, specially video editing, then stick with the powerbooks.
Well, but the iBooks have just got a faster processor, and 1.2GHz on the 14" does not sound too bad.
Without your space helmet, Dave, you're going to find that rather difficult.

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2004, 06:54 AM

if you could sit down and really use the PowerBook for a couple hours, the widescreen format will completely sell you on it. PowerBooks also look REALLY cool at Starbucks.
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2004, 11:44 AM

I love the widescreen. I won't be able to live without it.

kdixey
Forum Regular
May 9, 2004, 12:04 PM

The 15" powerbook is unquestionably a faster machine. The wide aspect screen is very nice and the big aluminum powerbooks do have quite a bit of zowie factor going for them but, I don't think the 14" ibook is a dog. I'm a student and choosing between the 12" powerbook and a 14" ibook (the 15" powerbook is at the far end of my price range and I need some software too) and I am finding the 14" ibook to be a very compelling machine for a number of reasons.

- ibooks run cooler than powerbooks
- longer battery life (especially the 14")
- better Airport range
- more durable case (they do scratch more easily, but they don't dent)
- they are significantly cheaper (I can afford that FCP upgrade)

I am looking for a machine to do some video and photo work, but I do a lot of work in the feild so the greater battery life and durability of the ibook is very attractive to me.

Either way, they are both terrific machines.

--
"We are more curious about the meaning of dreams than things we see when awake"

....Diogenes

HAL9000
Forum Regular
May 9, 2004, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by kdixey:
- ibooks run cooler than powerbooks
- longer battery life (especially the 14")
- better Airport range
I wasn't aware of any of that. Interesting.

BTW, kdixey, how often do you have to clean your iBook, it coming in the most impractical colour there is? I am just investigating the 14" over a 12" Powerbook, 12" being to small for my liking.

kdixey
Forum Regular
May 9, 2004, 01:19 PM

I don't remember the last time I cleaned my old ibook, remarkably it always stayed pretty clean. Maybe I just have clean hands. I did however clean the screen periodically with laptop screen cleaner ( I have friends that inexplicably like to touch the screen).
--
"We are more curious about the meaning of dreams than things we see when awake"

....Diogenes

HAL9000
Forum Regular
May 9, 2004, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by kdixey:
I did however clean the screen periodically with laptop screen cleaner (I have friends that inexplicably like to touch the screen).
Shoot 'em

And thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules