Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What is the meaning of your life

What is the meaning of your life
Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2006, 10:34 PM

What motivates you to get up every day? Is it your job? Family? Hobby? Worldview? Nothing at all?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2006, 10:45 PM

My soon-to-be-wife. My surroundings. Enjoying life as much as possible.

Good food. Good beer. Good wine. Good Cheese. Beef that melts in your mouth.

Music. Movies. Books.

Creating - for work or for pleasure.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2006, 10:45 PM

Leaving this place better than I found it.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2006, 10:50 PM

Well, it's nothing very special. Uh, try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations.

Dino-Rider
Baninated
Aug 24, 2006, 10:59 PM

Fun.

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2006, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
What motivates you to get up every day?
Killing and destroying.

miss-haley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2006, 11:01 PM

curiousity and my baby boy
----------------------------------
A+ is draining my will to live
----------------------------------

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2006, 11:06 PM

The search for that elusive skirt-wearing redhead.

Dino-Rider
Baninated
Aug 24, 2006, 11:12 PM

Real red head? Or dyed red head? A friend and I have agreed that only the faux redheads are truly hot... real redheads can only be cute, but not hot.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2006, 11:19 PM

A dyed redhead is not a redhead.

Furthermore, *only* a true redhead can be hot.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2006, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations.

Except people you who believe something you don't:

Or are you a Scientologist, and I just didn't realize?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2006, 12:18 AM

If you knew anything about Scientology, you would know that would be exactly the opposite of what a Scientologist would write.

Muhahaha.

Oh, and that's a quote from a movie. You might have guessed it if you saw the image right under it.

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2006, 01:54 AM

The knowledge that my life is not my own. It was bought with a price, and given far greater purpose than I could understand. So I get up with the goal of loving God with all I have, and loving others as myself. I fail a lot, but I still try.

forkies
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2006, 02:34 AM

The knowledge that my life is completely my own. It is priceless, and with it I can accomplish much more than I understand. So I get up with the goal of loving myself and others as fellow human beings. I fail a lot, but I still try.

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2006, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by forkies
The knowledge that my life is completely my own. It is priceless, and with it I can accomplish much more than I understand. So I get up with the goal of loving myself and others as fellow human beings. I fail a lot, but I still try.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 25, 2006, 04:55 AM

Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
Aug 25, 2006, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Salty
The knowledge that my life is not my own. It was bought with a price, and given far greater purpose than I could understand. So I get up with the goal of loving God with all I have, and loving others as myself. I fail a lot, but I still try.
I've heard this sentiment from Christians before. It's weird. I think you've got it back-to-front. Everything evil that this world has suffered is the price God was willing to pay to give his creations freewill so their lives would be their own.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2006, 06:21 AM

What motivates you to get up every day? Is it your job? Family? Hobby? Worldview? Nothing at all?
Nothing at all. Saying that you need some kind of motivation to live sounds a bit like something a suicidal person would say.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2006, 06:48 AM

I used to wonder that a lot. In my travels to a lot of places, most of them third world countries that were extremely beautiful but had very poor and sick people, I used to wonder why it is that I was born where I was and had so much more than some of the people I met. Some of them were much more spiritual and gracious and loving than I was...but seemingly had so little. Later I realized that they were far richer than I was and for more important reasons and I took that away with me: To enjoy family and friends and the natural beauty of the world.

Now I am far richer than I was because I have my own children and they bring laughter and light into our lives. So I would say that my life purpose is to give my children as much love and stability as possible, teach them to respect other lives of all kinds, and enjoy what this world has to offer.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2006, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Ulrich Kinbote
Everything evil that this world has suffered is the price God was willing to pay to give his creations freewill so their lives would be their own.
Is the correct answer.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2006, 07:32 AM

Nothing really. Pretty tedious spending 3 more years of re-learning stuff I already know until I can do something really interesting (teach).
we don't have time to stop for gas

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2006, 07:39 AM

^^^Very sad comment^^^

I loved college. It was one of the best times of my life. And I do not, for one minute, think that I know so much that I cannot learn something else. In college I learned that I knew very little. I considered doing a PhD just because I loved the academic environment. However, then I got a great job offer with a new company by the name of Microsoft and I went there instead.

Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
Aug 25, 2006, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
^^^Very sad comment^^^

I loved college. It was one of the best times of my life. And I do not, for one minute, think that I know so much that I cannot learn something else. In college I learned that I knew very little.

That's Socratic knowledge!

I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.
—Socrates.

xenu
Senior User
Aug 25, 2006, 07:42 AM

How sad.

My life is my own, and that is meaning enough.
Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion - Steven Weinberg.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2006, 07:45 AM

I don't think it's sad because he attributes his life to God.

To read something truly refreshing click here - letters from children to God.

It is some of the most beautiful prose you will ever read...to only be like a child again. They're wonderful with their truly wonderful insights. I tell my children that they are so good because they were with God not-so-long-ago and these letters attest to the same. These letters will make you laugh, make you reflect, and just make your heart warm.

Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
Aug 25, 2006, 07:56 AM

I don't think it's sad because he attributes his life to God.

To read something truly refreshing click here - letters from children to God.

It is some of the most beautiful prose you will ever read...to only be like a child again. They're wonderful with their truly wonderful insights. I tell my children that they are so good because they were with God not-so-long-ago and these letters attest to the same. These letters will make you laugh, make you reflect, and just make your heart warm.

Is that cute? Only in the way letters to Santa are cute. We laugh because children are naive and believe anything you tell them. Same goes here.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2006, 08:03 AM

Yes, but some of them are SO good...

Like the one about Cain and Abel having separate rooms so that they wouldn't fight.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 25, 2006, 08:05 AM

Some of those are quite cute. Others are more freaky than cute. Some are obvious fakes.

Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
Aug 25, 2006, 08:09 AM

Yes, but some of them are SO good...

Like the one about Cain and Abel having separate rooms so that they wouldn't fight.

Or maybe if God had been happy with Cain's fruit and grain offering.... there's no pleasing some people.

But yeah, I liked that one too.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2006, 08:11 AM

Gahahahahahhahahahahaha!

That rocks!

Thanks Cody.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2006, 08:15 AM

Well, came from your side of the pond, Doofy...

Dino-Rider
Baninated
Aug 25, 2006, 08:20 AM

But don't god and his followers hate you since you're a fag?

Dino-Rider
Baninated
Aug 25, 2006, 08:22 AM

I used to wonder that a lot. In my travels to a lot of places, most of them third world countries that were extremely beautiful but had very poor and sick people, I used to wonder why it is that I was born where I was and had so much more than some of the people I met. Some of them were much more spiritual and gracious and loving than I was...but seemingly had so little. Later I realized that they were far richer than I was and for more important reasons and I took that away with me: To enjoy family and friends and the natural beauty of the world.

Now I am far richer than I was because I have my own children and they bring laughter and light into our lives. So I would say that my life purpose is to give my children as much love and stability as possible, teach them to respect other lives of all kinds, and enjoy what this world has to offer.
Then I wouldn't cart them around in your deathmobile.

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2006, 08:23 AM

Honestly guys, it's genuinely hard to explain if you're not a Christian. And even to some of them it's tough. But we all surrender ourselves to various things in life. To jobs, to friends, to family, to that special someone. Sometimes that's good, sometimes that's bad. I made the choice to give my life to God so that He could make it into something far more meaningful than the way it was headed. Before I started living for him, absolutely everything in my life was about me.
Since then I've learned to put others before myself. I still take care of myself, because I know God loves me, and so burning myself out for short term benefits isn't wise. But ultimately this way I know I have a shot of doing more good in my life than bad. And there's a lot of freedom in knowing that you don't have to always be in control of your own life. Of course for those of you who think God is just some fluffy idea in the sky who doesn't interact with His creation, that won't make any sense at all.

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2006, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Dino-Rider
Some people who love Jesus don't love me. In doing so they're refusing to show love for God. It's a bit of a problem. As for God, I know unequivocally that He loves me more profoundly than I could ever communicate with you.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2006, 08:26 AM

Dino-Rider

Well, God and His followers don't hate YOU since when you act like an @ss so I would have to say NO.

Oh, and another thing? God doesn't hate.

Dino-Rider
Baninated
Aug 25, 2006, 08:27 AM

But we all surrender ourselves to various things in life. To jobs, to friends, to family, to that special someone.
Yes, but those are all REAL things.

Dino-Rider
Baninated
Aug 25, 2006, 08:28 AM

Some people who love Jesus don't love me. In doing so they're refusing to show love for God. It's a bit of a problem. As for God, I know unequivocally that He loves me more profoundly than I could ever communicate with you.
But according to his book you're going to hell.... so how can he love you if he's sending you to fiery eternal damnation?

Dino-Rider
Baninated
Aug 25, 2006, 08:29 AM

Well, God and His followers don't hate YOU since when you act like an @ss so I would have to say NO.

Oh, and another thing? God doesn't hate.
Since when? God has killed millions of people who disagreed with him. He even ordered his infantry to kill all the women, children, babies, and unborn. I'd call that hate.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2006, 08:30 AM

^^^Very sad comment^^^

I loved college. It was one of the best times of my life. And I do not, for one minute, think that I know so much that I cannot learn something else. In college I learned that I knew very little. I considered doing a PhD just because I loved the academic environment. However, then I got a great job offer with a new company by the name of Microsoft and I went there instead.

don't get me wrong, I love college. It's just I know the majority of it So I'm taking courses that interest me too... Photography and such.
Microsoft eh? Pretty sweet! What did you do there?
we don't have time to stop for gas

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2006, 08:36 AM

Dino-

Stop ruining this feel-good thread.

Take your anti-God schtick over to the Political Lounge.

Or, as Jack Nicholson says in As Good As It Gets, "Go sell crazy someplace else...we're all stocked up here."

Peter-

I started out at the bottom in research and then migrated up. It was the best job I've ever had - the company treats employees very well.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2006, 08:37 AM

Before I started living for him, absolutely everything in my life was about me.
Don't kid yourself. Everything in your life is still about you. A quick look at your blog or your posts confirms this.

And there's a lot of freedom in knowing that you don't have to always be in control of your own life.
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how serial-killers start.

Dino-Rider
Baninated
Aug 25, 2006, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how serial-killers start.
Yep. Throw in a healthy dose of superiority righteousness god complex, and some totally repressed sexual feelings that will never be unleashed.... scary stuff.

Dino-Rider
Baninated
Aug 25, 2006, 08:53 AM

Dino-

Stop ruining this feel-good thread.
I'm just asking questions Cody.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2006, 09:00 AM

Anyone who says the their life is about someone or something other than themselves is delusional.

I always liked the analogy of comparing life to dancing or music: You don't dance to arrive somewhere, you do it for the sake of dancing in and of itself because it's fun, and you the point of music is just the music itself. Likewise with life. Don't take it too seriously and remember that the whole point of life is life itself, enjoy it. Not in a frivolous "throw your money away on booze and women" kind of way but rather enjoy every moment for what it is. Even the bad things.

I would say that at the moment the big thing going on with me is that the past couple of years I have been on a spiritual quest of sorts. I have anger and obsession issues, a lack of real compassion and I am not open and genuine with people. This is something I have been working to change.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2006, 09:01 AM

Dino-

Stop ruining every single thread.
Fixed.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2006, 09:04 AM

My girlfriend's persistent nudging.

...but the meaning of my life, currently, is to find some semblance of inner peace.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2006, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush
...a frivolous "throw your money away on booze and women" kind of way...

Don't you judge now...

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2006, 09:42 AM

Avoid death & live comfortably until I can figure out something better.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2006, 09:46 AM

Trying to make a contribution.

Forum Links
Forum Rules