Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Parallels 3150 screws up Boot Camp?

Parallels 3150 screws up Boot Camp?
WizOSX
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 11:57 AM

I installed 3150 last night. In the previous version Boot Camp worked fine both in Parallels and when booting directly--it was great. But now, after I select the Boot Camp partition as startup in Parallels I get the following message:

"More than one Windows partitions are found. This is not a standard Boot Camp configuration. Please refer to the Parallels Desktop for Mac User Guide, Using Boot Camp Windows XP Installation chapter for instructions on how to configure Parallels virtual machine in case of a non-standard Boot Camp configuration on your Macintosh computer."

The user guide says nothing helpful about this. My other Windows setup works fine (not the Boot Camp one) and I can boot directly into Boot Camp. I tried going into Boot Camp directly to delete the Parallels tools and reinstall but the program won't run now. Anyone else have this problem or any suggestions?

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2007, 10:15 AM

I guess the dey question is this:

Did anyone else have two XP virtual machines, one in Boot Camp, one not, and is running both just fine in 3150?

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 4, 2007, 12:03 PM

You do not have a "virtual machine" when running Windows through Boot Camp. In that situation you actually boot the machine NATIVELY into XP. But your question (somewhat restated) is valid. Does anyone else have Parallels build 3150 running fine alongside a Boot Camp installation?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cold Warrior
Feb 4, 2007, 12:51 PM

Works fine for me on my C2D and build 3150.

From Parallels you might try re-setting up your boot camp stuff. Go to File > New... > Custom , and follow it from there to point Parallels to your boot camp set up.

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2007, 03:31 PM

I have Parallels 3150 and BootCamp running. They are both using the same Boot Camp partition.

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2007, 03:50 PM

….....................
Originally Posted by ghporter
You do not have a "virtual machine" when running Windows through Boot Camp. In that situation you actually boot the machine NATIVELY into XP. But your question (somewhat restated) is valid. Does anyone else have Parallels build 3150 running fine alongside a Boot Camp installation?.
I know what you're saying but Parallels refers to it the way I did. When you run Parallels, the first thing it does is asks you to choose a virtual madhine and the choices are "Boot Camp" or "Windows XP" (or whatever your other partition is called. I guess they're calling it a VM when you run Boot Camp from within Parallels--and that is where I am having my problem.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 4, 2007, 04:17 PM

The "virtual machine" you're choosing when you choose "Boot Camp" is one Parallels creates using the Boot Camp-produced partition. You're never running "Boot Camp inside Parallels," but Parallels is using the disk image from the Boot Camp-produced partition instead of a virtual partition.

So I'm picking nits here. But when many people see "virtual machine" they think "slow" and while Parallels is not terribly slow, it's not as fast as running XP natively, as you do after a Boot Camp installation, so I wanted to emphasize that Boot Camp itself has nothing to do with any VM.

runninkyle17
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2007, 04:53 PM

Does the 3150 update fix anything with Macdrive when running parallels?

I really don't want to update if it might mess things up. Currently I am running 3120 and the only thing that I don't like is that if you are running parallels, macdrive doesn't work. If you boot natively, macdrive works just fine though.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2007, 06:10 PM

Sorry for hijacking, but it's kinda on-topic (and not worth making a whole new thread). When you set up your Boot Camp partition via Parallels, can you still use standby when you are natively running Windows via Boot Camp?

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 4, 2007, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
Sorry for hijacking, but it's kinda on-topic (and not worth making a whole new thread). When you set up your Boot Camp partition via Parallels, can you still use standby when you are natively running Windows via Boot Camp?
Are you asking "can you use standby when you run Parallels using the Boot Camp partition instead of its virtual partition?" Or are you asking if Parallels "does something" to the actual partition that would keep standby from working? If the latter, "it's not supposed to." But it seems that build 3150 does a number of things "it's not supposed to," so I'd think we'd need experienced testimony to know for sure.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2007, 09:52 PM

Yeah, I was asking the second one. I figured that much, so I think I'll just wait until the final release before using it.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

murdoc158
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2007, 06:45 PM

Curious about the outcome. I am getting the same error message as you running Parallels. Also I noticed that if I go to Applications/Utilities/ that Boot Camp Assistant and also Disk Utility do not launch. I've tired uninstalling and reinstalling Parallels, but nothing changes. I also booted with the OSX cd and got lots of permissions to repair and also a couple errors when verifying the disk (mac HD). Any ideas?
iMac 24" 2.16GHz C2D, 2GB SDRAM, 500GB HD, 7600GT,
Apple B/T Keyboard, Logitech MX Revolution,
M-Audio BX5a's, M-Audio Fast Track Pro.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 15, 2007, 07:00 PM

Well I finally bought the commercial package of Parallels, and I'll be installing it sometime soon, so maybe I'll be able to say something more useful than "have you...?" When you install the boxed version, does it automatically update itself?

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2007, 06:42 AM

The boxed version is still the older version (The one that doesn't run the Bootcamp partition ).
The retail version shouldn't update to a BETA build.

Parallels updates are downloaded from the site as full installers on a disk image downloaded from there website, So I don't think that the retail has some sort of auto updater built in, It might notify you that there is a newer version available though.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2007, 08:58 AM

I've ready too many reports about the various beta's and even the Release Candidates so much so I'm holding off until I see that the gold version is stable. I need my windows partition to connect to work so the risk is a little too high to be playing with a beta.
Michael

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2007, 11:14 AM

They just released Build 3170 It seems to make it work a bit better.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 16, 2007, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mediaman_12 View Post
The boxed version is still the older version (The one that doesn't run the Bootcamp partition ).
The retail version shouldn't update to a BETA build.

Parallels updates are downloaded from the site as full installers on a disk image downloaded from there website, So I don't think that the retail has some sort of auto updater built in, It might notify you that there is a newer version available though.
Thanks for the information. I assume that my retail key will work with the beta builds-is that correct? (Yes, I want to use the Boot Camp image for my VM, as much because it's a concern here as anything else.) Typoon says that 3170 seems to be less problematic than 3150, so I'm looking at installing that to start.

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2007, 12:18 AM

3170 solves my problems--the ones I listed above when I started this thread. Since I did nothing else, other than install 3170 over 3150, obviously there were some problems with 3150. Great to have my Boot Camp partition available again from the desktop. Credit to the Parallels people--each version gets better (with a few bumps along the way as expected in the beta process).

murdoc158
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2007, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by WizOSX View Post
3170 solves my problems--the ones I listed above when I started this thread. Since I did nothing else, other than install 3170 over 3150, obviously there were some problems with 3150. Great to have my Boot Camp partition available again from the desktop. Credit to the Parallels people--each version gets better (with a few bumps along the way as expected in the beta process).
Did you have any problems with Disk Utility or anything like that? I think I just had a bad partition, but who knows.
iMac 24" 2.16GHz C2D, 2GB SDRAM, 500GB HD, 7600GT,
Apple B/T Keyboard, Logitech MX Revolution,
M-Audio BX5a's, M-Audio Fast Track Pro.

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2007, 11:39 PM

….....................
Originally Posted by murdoc158
Did you have any problems with Disk Utility or anything like that?
No, none that I know of.

dlflad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2007, 03:29 PM

As an FYI, I loaded the latest build and referenced my bootcamp partition and all was well. However, I added an external ESATA enclosure with additional disks, and got the message that started some of this thread. Checked the new docs from the Parallels folks and it directed to their website. Unfortunately, no info was available.

A subsequent search of Parallels discussion forum provided the answer, a document that was missing from their FAQ section. Essentially I had to go back and manually edit the .pvs file that referenced my bootcamp disk, and put a custom reference to the physical disk.

3186 and non-standard HD configs - Parallels Support Forum, and look for the post from YNOT (was #5 in my list). It contains a link to download a PDF file containing the relevant instructions. Here is that link as well: http://www.osvm.org/prls/Bootcamp_configuration.pdf

AudioBoyMA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2007, 03:31 PM

Sorry to dive into this thread a month after it's died, but I hope someone can help me.

I just installed the latest (non-beta) version of Parallels and I can't get it to recognize my Boot Camp partition. I'm getting the usual "More than one Windows partitions found; non-standard Boot Camp configuration" message. Thing is, it is a standard configuration as far as I can tell. I split my main HD in two equal parts with Boot Camp, one is my OSX install and the other is my XP install. So I ejected all my external drives as I saw someone suggest, but it still won't see it.

So I gather it's time to edit the *.pvs file.

I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack when it comes to deciphering technical stuff, but it looks to me like the PDF that's referred to earlier in this thread doesn't use my configuration as an example. Could someone just explain to me, in plain English, the changes I have to make in the *.pvs file to accomplish my goal?

My installs are on the main disk (the same one OSX was installed on when I got the Mac Pro).

Is there any other info I can provide?

Forum Links
Forum Rules