Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > hot ibook...

hot ibook...
graphics84
Senior User
Aug 13, 2001, 05:22 PM

ok I was getting back to my "gaming" roots on Friday... and I played Quake for a few hours (like 6)

and man did my ibook get hot! not the wholde thing just where I think the hard drive was... I mean hot enought it was starting to get uncomfortable for my left hand...

other wise it was great as usual... I serverd for 5 PC's on quake 1... it was fun and the ATI video worked great... I used the Rave version

so had anyone else felt the hot ibook?

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2001, 05:28 PM

Yup, all the new ibooks are like that. Something like a RoadTools CoolPad or just a small cardboard box with ventilation or a glass table can help keep the heat down.

whodisbe
Aug 13, 2001, 05:29 PM

that's normal. the bottom left gets hot, and the bottom of the ibook gets hot. I think either the Hard drive or the processor is located there, and that's why it heats up. But its normal. Its better the plastic get hot than the guts overheat.

MaxMac
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2001, 05:30 PM

Mine gets fairly toasty, but no worse that my thin Wintel laptop, actually maybe less. I have no problems associated with the heat, and I am glad it can escape.
I love deadlines. They make a whooshing sound as they pass by.

ussfolsom
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2001, 05:30 PM

Yeah, mine does that too. I seriously think my iBook gets hot enough to cook something on it. I try not to touch the bottom left where it is the hottest on mine. If only the inside of the iBook were made out of teflon, think of what a multi-purpose device it would be !

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2001, 05:38 PM

So the iceBook is plagued with the same heat problem as the TiBook?

I would recommend a PCMCIA-card fan, but that's, like, the only feature the iBook lacks.

Yeah, www.roadtools.com is a nifty site. They sell the CoolPad and Podium CoolPad, two products that make your computer cool a lot better.

Zemrec
Aug 18, 2001, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
<STRONG>So the iceBook is plagued with the same heat problem as the TiBook?

I would recommend a PCMCIA-card fan, but that's, like, the only feature the iBook lacks.

Yeah, www.roadtools.com is a nifty site. They sell the CoolPad and Podium CoolPad, two products that make your computer cool a lot better.</STRONG>
I have the Podium Coolpad, the salesman I bought the iBook from talked me into getting it as well. Definitely a good idea. But really don't like how hot the left side gets. It is uncomfortable (but not as hot as the bottom of it). In another thread someone mentioned that their fan never shuts off, well, I don't think mine ever comes ON. At least I've never heard it or felt air come out the vent on the side. Anyone else?

Gametes
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2001, 01:27 PM

I'd like to point out that the iBook, for all its heat, is dramatically cooler than the Ti, which is dramatically cooler than any PC laptop of the same generation. So your complaints, while valid...I just think you ought to be grateful. Heat is one price of great performance.

On a side-note, this is yet another strength of the PPC line. While everyone is futzing over megahertz, they forget that only Apple still makes "laptops"; other companies are now even admitting their machines aren't by officially labelling them "portable desktops". They simply run too hot and draw too much power to be laptops, designed for work in your lap and away from a power outlet. My brother's 900Mhz Dell gets an hour of battery life and cannot be held in your lap.
Who cares if it's twice the speed clockspeed if it's useless?
Go Apple!
you are not your signature

Forum Links
Forum Rules