Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 3)
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2011, 03:42 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 29, 2011, 03:54 PM

By far the best one yet. I'm sure stogie will love it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 29, 2011, 03:55 PM

How often do I post the New York Times in here?

Hackers Claim to Have PlayStation Users' Card Data - NYTimes.com
Security researchers said Thursday that they had seen discussions on underground Internet forums indicating that the hackers who infiltrated the Sony PlayStation Network last week may have made off with the credit card numbers of Sony customers.

The comments indicated that the hackers had a database that included customer names, addresses, usernames, passwords and as many as 2.2 million credit card numbers, the researchers said.

Edit: More news

FBI investigating PSN hack; Sony looking into compensating users
Meanwhile, yesterday Seybold revealed that Sony was working with law enforcement to investigate the attack, and now Kotaku has confirmed that the FBI is involved in that investigation.

"The FBI is aware of the reports concerning the alleged intrusion into the Sony online game server and we have been in contact with Sony concerning this matter," special agent Darrell Foxworth told Kotaku. "We are presently reviewing the available information in an effort to determine the facts and circumstances concerning this alleged criminal activity."

That same report reveals that attorneys general from 22 states are currently investigating the situation as well, questioning Sony on the issue of stolen user data. While they are all making individual inquiries—such as sending letters directly to SCEA president Jack Tretton—they are also sharing data to further the investigation. The Federal Trade Commission has been contacted about the situation, but has not confirmed whether or not it will be investigating the matter. Unsurprisingly, one of the major issues being looked into is Sony's apparent delay in notifying customers of the network breach.
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Apr 29, 2011 at 04:03 PM. )

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2011, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Sony evaluating possible goodwill gesture for PSN outage and breach | Joystiq

Yeah, you guys go ahead and evaluate if you want some good PR for a change.
Free 12 months of xbox Live Gold for everyone!

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2011, 04:48 PM

By far the best one yet. I'm sure stogie will love it.
That was funny but the first one was still my favorite.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 29, 2011, 04:52 PM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2011, 05:23 PM

Too complicated. My brain exploded.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2011, 11:50 PM

What does Stem Cell Research have to do with the PSN outage?!?
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2011, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
What does Stem Cell Research have to do with the PSN outage?!?
It's a Penny Arcade comic - they were making fun of political satire cartoons at the same time.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2011, 09:31 PM

PSN Outage Leaves One in Five PS3 Customers Considering Xbox Live (Kotaku)

But a survey taken this week, reacting to the PlayStation Network outage, suggests that 21 percent of PS3 owners are considering selling their consoles and fleeing for Xbox Live.
One of my PSN friends has been blowing up my phone all night with texts. He's thinking about selling his PS3 outright and getting a 360. I guess we'll count him as a 1 in 5.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2011, 01:15 AM

What are you other PSN users here doing to mitigate this issue ?

Also, Sony's Kar Hirai is to hold a press conference regarding the breach and the outage... Kaz Hirai to Address Media on PSN Security Breach - PS3 News at IGN

Cheers

[UPDATE]: http://venturebeat.com/2011/04/30/psn-outage-apolog/
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; May 1, 2011 at 01:37 AM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2011, 02:48 AM

Sooooo, Sony is offering me a PSN+ extension worth $4.16 and some free downloadable content that could wind up being utter crap. Fantastic.

I think it's slightly presumptuous to assume that the attack was absolutely in retaliation for the whole GeoHot lawsuit situation, but it does appear likely to have been the trigger. Regardless, this isn't the first widely-used service to be hacked, and it won't be the last.

My Sony issues: they remained mum on the break-in, weren't 100% honest about personal data being stolen, and are now offering a stiff, strange apology that I'm not sure how to take. Their online service was a step below XBL to begin with, and now we're learning that some of the most sensitive information wasn't even encrypted?

My current actions: I've ordered a new debit card, will let my PSN+ subscription lapse, will only buy PS3-exclusives for the system, and will likely only buy Microsoft's next-generation console (unless Sony turns a corner and understands they can't launch $600 game system with sub-standard online features).

I've flip-flopped on 360s and Wiis in the past, but I've never sold my PS3. This is the only current-gen system that I've been almost completely happy with (the lack of party chat has been my only significant complaint), and now I feel like Sony has stabbed me in the back.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2011, 02:53 AM

Fun little read from George Hotz (GeoHot): Recent News

Also, let's not fault the Sony engineers for this, the same way I do not fault the engineers who designed the BMG rootkit. The fault lies with the executives who declared a war on hackers, laughed at the idea of people penetrating the fortress that once was Sony, whined incessantly about piracy, and kept hiring more lawyers when they really needed to hire good security experts. Alienating the hacker community is not a good idea.

Now until more information is revealed on the technicals, I can only speculate, but I bet Sony's arrogance and misunderstanding of ownership put them in this position. Sony execs probably haughtily chuckled at the idea of threat modeling. Traditionally the trust boundary for a web service exists between the server and the client. But Sony believes they own the client too, so if they just put a trust boundary between the consumer and the client(can't trust those pesky consumers), everything is good. Since everyone knows the PS3 is unhackable, why waste money adding pointless security between the client and the server? This arrogance undermines a basic security principle, never trust the client. It's the same reason MW2 was covered in cheaters, Infinity Ward even admitted to the mistake of trusting Sony's client. Sony needs to accept that they no longer own and control the PS3 when they sell it to you. Notice it's only PSN that gave away all your personal data, not Xbox Live when the 360 was hacked, not iTunes when the iPhone was jailbroken, and not GMail when Android was rooted. Because other companies aren't crazy.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 1, 2011, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post

Also, Sony's Kar Hirai is to hold a press conference regarding the breach and the outage... Kaz Hirai to Address Media on PSN Security Breach - PS3 News at IGN

Cheers

[UPDATE]: Sony executive Kaz Hirai apologizes for PlayStation Network outage | VentureBeat
Netflix works fine for me. I play more single player games than multi so it's personally not affecting me as a lot out there. I also never save my credit card with any online accounts. I don't trust ANY company including Sony to store credit card information, so I'm good on that. I believe in security over convenience and will always just enter my info to order each time with no complaints.

Finger pointing after the fact is pointless. I don't give a sh*t who's fault it is, FIX the problem.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 1, 2011, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
I haven't even turned on my PS3 since this happened. Luckily I didn't have a credit card stored on my PSN account, and I don't even think my name and address were there, but I can't log in to verify that right now.

I was preferring my PS3 to my 360, but the last three games I've gotten have been for the 360. I'll probably stop buying PS3 games altogether (other than maybe exclusives) and only use it as a blu-ray player now.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
May 1, 2011, 11:33 AM

Not sure about that, but if you want this 1 month free trial you do have to give your credit card info.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2011, 12:54 PM

Is it just me, or does this photo speak volumes?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 1, 2011, 03:36 PM

You'll have to elaborate. That they look like they're at a funeral?

P
May 1, 2011, 04:05 PM

I think that what has happened is this: The PSN launched with the PS3, but was far from feature complete. It has grown a lot since, and much of the development must have happened after the PS3 had been on the market for a while - not hacked, and considered secure. Sony probably trusted the PS3 security too much, so to save time (remember, they were ages behind Xbox Live), they decided to treat the entire PSN as one trusted network. As soon as a PS3 had been authorized onto the network, what it sent was trusted implicitly.

When the vulnerabilities were discovered, Sony should have acted directly to shore up security on the network. I suspect that they were aware that something like this might happen, but they considered the risk small and prioritized other things. When they realized that the cat was out of the bag, they had to kill the network completely to prevent hackers learning even more of the internal setup, making a future fix even harder.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2011, 01:08 AM

You'll have to elaborate. That they look like they're at a funeral?
Exactly. They look like three whipped puppies. I expected an apology, not a funeral, as you say.

Now that I'm past my emotional outburst phase, I'm going to be watching how the rest of this plays out. I'm curious to see how many PS3 users follow through with their abandonment threats.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 2, 2011, 01:38 AM

I'm sure they are going to be eating double helpings of humble pie for a while, and getting this right going forward. As for me, I ain't going no where. Bring on the NGP.
( Last edited by exca1ibur; May 2, 2011 at 10:56 AM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 2, 2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
PSN Outage Leaves One in Five PS3 Customers Considering Xbox Live (Kotaku)

One of my PSN friends has been blowing up my phone all night with texts. He's thinking about selling his PS3 outright and getting a 360. I guess we'll count him as a 1 in 5.
1 in 5 is pretty low considering. And it'll be lower because a fraction will actually follow through.

I think it's slightly presumptuous to assume that the attack was absolutely in retaliation for the whole GeoHot lawsuit situation, but it does appear likely to have been the trigger. Regardless, this isn't the first widely-used service to be hacked, and it won't be the last.
Once money was involved I don't think it can be about Hotz.

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I haven't even turned on my PS3 since this happened. Luckily I didn't have a credit card stored on my PSN account, and I don't even think my name and address were there, but I can't log in to verify that right now.

I was preferring my PS3 to my 360, but the last three games I've gotten have been for the 360. I'll probably stop buying PS3 games altogether (other than maybe exclusives) and only use it as a blu-ray player now.
If you do that, that'd be pretty hardcore. Like on the level of my refusing to purchase anything at GameStop, hardcore. Requires discipline.

Exactly. They look like three whipped puppies. I expected an apology, not a funeral, as you say.
Eh, I think that's just Japanese culture. Appearances are every important there.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 2, 2011, 10:05 AM

Monday News: I'm Tired of Posting Sony News Edition

Share Gears of War 3 beta invites beginning May 8 | Joystiq
Every person who has played a game in the Gears beta will receive a buddy token. Additional ways to obtain a token are by purchasing any Gears content off the Xbox Live Marketplace or by adding a 12-month Xbox Live Gold subscription to your account. Tokens can also be earned by having played 20 hours or more of the Gears 3 beta -- time already spent does count -- and by playing more than 100 hours of "any Gears of War title, lifetime to date."

Players have until May 4 (this Wednesday!) to complete the tasks and earn up to five tokens. Participants don't need to take any addition action for their tokens, and the alpha-numeric codes will be distributed by email starting May 8 (so make sure your account details are up to date). This will give players a week to team up with their buddies for some Gears 3 action before the beta ends on May 15.
*cough* I'll take an invite.

Kotaku, the Gamer’s Guide
Network is Sony's global online gaming service. Countries from around the world can access the PSN and game. But which country has the most accounts? Is it Japan?

Nope!

In light of the recent PSN breach, here is a breakdown of the number of PSN accounts per country:

- USA: 31,140,307
- UK: 9,296,317
- Japan: 7,427,038
- France: 4,701,424
- Canada: 3,524,227
- Germany: 3,233,800
- Spain: 2,982,592 accounts

It is possible to make accounts in countries where you don't resides, and more countries have PSN accounts
It's never Japan. Japan earned a reputation of being a large consumer of the video game market in 90s, but the raw mathematics of population will never allow them to be as dominant as implied.

It's a good thing Sony warned people to be vigilant about their credit cards, because as part of the company's Tokyo press conference yesterday PlayStation boss Kaz Hirai said that up to ten million customer's account details could have been compromised.
Weird, they were still playing the "your credit card information may not have been hacked" card late last week.

We have had to take the SOE service down temporarily. In the course of our investigation into the intrusion into our systems we have discovered an issue that warrants enough concern for us to take the service down effective immediately. We will provide an update later today (Monday).
To beef up security, no doubt, but still amusing.

Some PSN services to return this week, full services 'within this month' | Joystiq
Sony's US PlayStation blog tonight announced that "some PlayStation Network and Qriocity services" will become available this week as the company scrambles to build a new server home in the wake of a security breach earlier this month. Though no specific time or date is named, the post lays out a plan to "begin a phased restoration by region" of services "shortly," alongside a mandatory system update for all consoles forcing a change in password, before the full return of services "within this month."
Restoration of Online game-play across the PlayStation®3 (PS3) and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) systems -This includes titles requiring online verification and downloaded games
Access to Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for PS3/PSP for existing subscribers
Access to account management and password reset
Access to download un-expired Movie Rentals on PS3, PSP and MediaGo
PlayStation®Home
Friends List
Chat Functionality

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 2, 2011, 10:34 AM

I forgot to mention, this will be likely of interest only to Jawbone, but ESPN 3 has been worthless for the playoffs. Partly because most of the games are on TNT, but also because they seem to be blacking out any games on ABC, and none of the games on ABC or ESPN seem to be available for later playback. So what I was most excited about for the service it completely fails at.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2011, 10:47 AM

Eh, I think that's just Japanese culture. Appearances are every important there.

I forgot to mention, this will be likely of interest only to Jawbone, but ESPN 3 has been worthless for the playoffs. Partly because most of the games are on TNT, but also because they seem to be blacking out any games on ABC, and none of the games on ABC or ESPN seem to be available for later playback. So what I was most excited about for the service it completely fails at.
I know it. I think Game 3 in the Bulls/Hawks and Lakers/Mavs series will be the first played on ESPN3 in the second round. Since I don't have cable, I haven't seen a single game. I'll be working out of town Thur-Sat too, so I won't even be able to take advantage of it this weekend.

I'm wondering if the ABC blackout will ever be lifted for ESPN3. There's a ton of ESPN-broadcast events that don't make it to ESPN3 as well -- I'm not sure what the problem is.

Actually, money is always the problem. The best events are the highest-rated, and they get more advertising dollars from TV ratings than ESPN3 (obviously).

Bah...

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 2, 2011, 10:55 AM

[IMG]
Social appearances. ****. Spoiler that.

I know it. I think Game 3 in the Bulls/Hawks and Lakers/Mavs series will be the first played on ESPN3 in the second round. Since I don't have cable, I haven't seen a single game. I'll be working out of town Thur-Sat too, so I won't even be able to take advantage of it this weekend.

I'm wondering if the ABC blackout will ever be lifted for ESPN3. There's a ton of ESPN-broadcast events that don't make it to ESPN3 as well -- I'm not sure what the problem is.

Actually, money is always the problem. The best events are the highest-rated, and they get more advertising dollars from TV ratings than ESPN3 (obviously).

Bah...
I'm pretty sure I saw ABC games on XBOX in season. Don't know about playback for them.

But yeah, opening Saturday, I'm at work, so I check the ESPN3 schedule, first two games are split between ESPN and TNT, ESPN one is televised. Miami game on ABC... blacked out. Cock suckers.

Oh well, it being streaming at all is a step up.

Really confused about the lack of playbacks, though. I guess its a hard call what's more "damaging". It's preposterous that I fell asleep watching Spurs/Grizz on my XBOX and the next day I can't catch the end because its gone.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2011, 11:24 AM

Really confused about the lack of playbacks, though. I guess its a hard call what's more "damaging". It's preposterous that I fell asleep watching Spurs/Grizz on my XBOX and the next day I can't catch the end because its gone.
Second-most aggravating aspect of it all. I always miss Wednesday night NBA games, and Friday nights are usually spent somewhere other than the house. At least leave it up for a day, for crying out loud...

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2011, 01:17 PM

Share Gears of War 3 beta invites beginning May 8 | Joystiq

Every person who has played a game in the Gears beta will receive a buddy token. Additional ways to obtain a token are by purchasing any Gears content off the Xbox Live Marketplace or by adding a 12-month Xbox Live Gold subscription to your account. Tokens can also be earned by having played 20 hours or more of the Gears 3 beta -- time already spent does count -- and by playing more than 100 hours of "any Gears of War title, lifetime to date."

Players have until May 4 (this Wednesday!) to complete the tasks and earn up to five tokens. Participants don't need to take any addition action for their tokens, and the alpha-numeric codes will be distributed by email starting May 8 (so make sure your account details are up to date). This will give players a week to team up with their buddies for some Gears 3 action before the beta ends on May 15.

*cough* I'll take an invite.
I might be close to 100 hours on Gears 2. I need to check when I get home.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 2, 2011, 01:19 PM

That's a little more than 4 days worth of time. I'm sure you got that.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2011, 03:27 PM

I pre-ordered GoW3. Doesn't that automatically make me eligible for the beta?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 2, 2011, 05:08 PM

Halo? MS Vancouver developing a core shooter for Kinect- Destructoid
There's a new webpage for the Microsoft first-party studio in Vancouver. On it they claim to be making "core" games for Microsoft, and looking for new team members to help them do so. It could be that they're working on a 'core AAA shooter' experience using Kinect.
Blah. Speaking of which I used a kinect a few weeks ago and I have impressions if anyone gives a shit.

"Because the expressions in games are becoming more and more photo-realistic, I imagine that the cultural differences in acceptance have started to be reflected more clearly," Nintendo chief Satoru Iwata told a group of investors in Japan last month. "I think this is the reason why western users tend to prefer software created overseas than software from Japanese software developers."
Hang on.

"In the field of networks in particular, however, I admit that we cannot do business in pace with the changes in the world and the requests from consumers only within our company and with development companies we have long been in touch with. I am not sure which term suits us as collaborations for this purpose, M&A [merger and acquisition] or partnership. Anyway, I feel that we would spoil the party in a negative way if 'we sticked to create everything by ourselves' based on the policy 'Jimae-shugi,' and eventually it would make our business slow."
Almost there...

Iwata: Nintendo to plan first-party game launches around third-party publishers | Joystiq
"We want the other companies to be successful." He continued, "In order to accomplish this goal, we would like to decide on the dates after we know the release plans of other companies' games so that we are able to consider how we can maximize the sales of our titles without affecting the sales of other companies in the short term."
This is getting ridiculous. Aside from the previous crocodile tears ("Yeah, the Wii made us fabulously wealthy, but I wish we had done something else instead!"), now I feel like we're getting an avalanche of dishonest "You were rights" regarding all the complaints the hard core had regarding the previous generation.

And you know what? I'm not buying it. It has all the sincerity of an old girlfriend who dumped you trying to win you back, not because she's actually sorry about what happened, but just because she doesn't want to be alone. Good luck, Nintendo.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 2, 2011, 06:35 PM

SOE - Customer Service Notification
Our ongoing investigation of illegal intrusions into Sony Online Entertainment systems has discovered that hackers may have obtained personal customer information from SOE systems. We are today advising you that the personal information you provided us in connection with your SOE account may have been stolen in a cyber-attack. Stolen information includes, to the extent you provided it to us, the following: name, address (city, state, zip, country), email address, gender, birthdate, phone number, login name and hashed password.

Customers outside the United States should be advised that we further discovered evidence that information from an outdated database from 2007 containing approximately 12,700 non-US customer credit or debit card numbers and expiration dates (but not credit card security codes) and about 10,700 direct debit records listing bank account numbers of certain customers in Germany, Austria, Netherlands and Spain may have also been obtained - we will be notifying each of those customers promptly.
You have got to be kidding me.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2011, 06:36 PM

Halo? MS Vancouver developing a core shooter for Kinect- Destructoid

Blah. Speaking of which I used a kinect a few weeks ago and I have impressions if anyone gives a shit...
I can summarize for you. Just copy and paste the following: "I danced the night away."

Hang on....

Almost there...

This is getting ridiculous. Aside from the previous crocodile tears ("Yeah, the Wii made us fabulously wealthy, but I wish we had done something else instead!"), now I feel like we're getting an avalanche of dishonest "You were rights" regarding all the complaints the hard core had regarding the previous generation.

And you know what? I'm not buying it. It has all the sincerity of an old girlfriend who dumped you trying to win you back, not because she's actually sorry about what happened, but just because she doesn't want to be alone. Good luck, Nintendo.
Nintendo is going to deal with a lot of wait-and-see attitudes from hardcore gamers, and since most of their "blue ocean" crowd bought a Wii and almost never used it, it'll be hard to bring them back on board as well.

And if the Wii 2's start is slow, third-party publishers' support might lag behind, causing Nintendo to say, "Well, we tried," and revert back to their old ways.

We'll see.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 2, 2011, 07:31 PM

SOE - Customer Service Notification

You have got to be kidding me.
When it rains... Talk about the perfect storm. ouch

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 3, 2011, 10:26 AM

I can summarize for you. Just copy and paste the following: "I danced the night away."
Thankfully this person didn't own Dance Central.

Nintendo is going to deal with a lot of wait-and-see attitudes from hardcore gamers, and since most of their "blue ocean" crowd bought a Wii and almost never used it, it'll be hard to bring them back on board as well.
Nah, I think it'll be similar to last gen. Every one felt burned by the GameCube as a stand-alone platform. I suppose it could be slightly worse, but it should be similar.

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
When it rains... Talk about the perfect storm. ouch
What I don't understand is this happened in the same attack? I don't understand networking, but I thought this was a different network.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 3, 2011, 10:28 AM

Tuesday News

Bleszinski: Master Chief passed on a Gears of War 3 cameo | Joystiq
Not a big surprise. Aside from bungie having somme integrity, I don't see them being big Blezinski fans... or any way this would look good in the GoW universe.

Limited Edition 8-disc soundtrack for Medal of Honor- Destructoid
La-La Land Records has released an 8-disc set of music from EA's Medal of Honor series of games. Each of the eight discs have been remeasured from EA's vault, and there's also content from the composers' private collections. Discs 1-6 cover the score from the original game, MOH Underground, Frontline, Alliet Assault, Pacific Assault, European Assault, Rising Sun and Airborne. Disc 7 is from the new Medal of Honor released in 2010, with added bonus material. Disc 8 has bonus tracks.

There's also a 40-page booklet with liner notes, and it'sll all wrapped in a cardboard slipcase, complete with a quote by Steven Spielberg.
Holy crap.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2011, 10:34 AM

Yep...that'll be a hot torrent pretty soon.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 3, 2011, 10:44 AM

Yep...that'll be a hot torrent pretty soon.
I read the line "If you're interested, order now, as there's only 2,000 of these limited edition units available." and all I could think is "Not exactly."

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 3, 2011, 10:52 AM

Nintendo: Buttons Are Still King - Wii News at IGN
Despite the rise in popularity of touch controls with iPad and iPhone gaming, Nintendo doesn't envision a time where they would release button-less game devices. Company president Satoru Iwata was asked during an investor conference in Japan last week about Nintendo's view on tablet gaming.

"I think [the tablet] is an interesting device if it creates an experience that is in line with the trend created by Nintendo DS," he said. "On the other hand, we have never abandoned the + Control Pad and buttons for our game systems because we think these functions are advantageous when creating highly reactive games.
Yeah, good job not abandoning buttons in favor of technology that didn't exist when you released your last console. You guys are ****ing spectacular. Tell me, did you envision a time without D-Pads? Joysticks?

Sailors, do not be lured by Nintendo's siren song.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 3, 2011, 11:09 AM

What I don't understand is this happened in the same attack? I don't understand networking, but I thought this was a different network.
You are correct. The SOE Network is basically their PC network for Everquest, and most, if not all, other MMOs. PSN is different it is strictly for the Playstation and most recent the entertainment division (Bluray Players, PSP, etc).

My guess is both network infrastructures were setup the same way. They took the PSN down before the hackers got this far. Upon checking the entire network structure, someone noticed the other network had the same vulnerability.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 3, 2011, 02:10 PM

The console, codenamed Project Café, will include 8 gigabytes of on-board flash-based memory, presumably for game storage. That quantity, while nearly 16 times the storage capacity of the Wii,
The increased capacity, compared to the Wii, would also allow games on the new Nintendo platform to be patched and updated, though downloadable expansions, such as 650 MB Call of Duty map packs would quickly stuff the machine. The system will also support saving to SD cards.
Nintendo's disc format for the new console will hold 25GB of data, I've heard. That capacity is triple the size of the biggest DVD-style discs for Wii and Xbox 360 and comparable to the capacity of single-layer Blu-Ray discs on the PlayStation 3.

Rumor: 'Wii Select' budget line launching this month | Joystiq
After only four and a half years, it looks like Nintendo is finally ready to introduce a line of budget titles in North America. Kotaku reports that the "Wii Select" line will launch alongside the newly discounted Wii, which is rumored to drop to $150 two weeks from now. The first titles reported to be part of the $20 lineup include The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Super Sluggers and Wii Sports.

Yes, Wii Sports is supposedly being removed from its position as the longstanding pack-in for Wii console bundles. Taking the bundle's place will be a Mario Kart Wii bundle, which will be sold at the rumored $150 price point.

Iwata: Vitality Sensor delayed until it works with 99% of customers | Joystiq
In the recent investor Q&A, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata revealed that no, the insane Vitality Sensor peripheral hasn't been cancelled. Nintendo just ran into a small problem -- human bodies are weird and unpredictable.

"This is a totally new type of entertainment," Iwata told investors, "and there are large individual differences in the biological information of humans. For example, if it was acceptable that only 80% of the users thought the result was natural, then we could propose this to consumers right now. However, we are aiming for a level of quality in which 99% percent of consumers feel comfortable, and that is why this project is taking time to complete." We suppose that the Vitality Sensor would be even less fun than most of us imagine if it didn't even sense properly.
Zombies ruining stuff for everyone, as usual.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2011, 02:20 PM

Reminds me of those emulators upscaling New Super Mario Bros. and Mario Galaxy to 1080p. They actually looked really, really nice. If the Wii had gone HD in the first place, I think it would've helped its legs a bit.

Also, 8 GB is still way, way too small. Let's sacrifice size for practicality's sake and stuff a 250GB drive in there, Nintendo.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 3, 2011, 02:24 PM

I'm not even bothering getting into that.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2011, 02:25 PM

I'm tired of Sony/Nintendo not learning from previous mistakes. Honest to God...

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 3, 2011, 02:29 PM

As long MS sells a system without an HD they are not sinless.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2011, 03:01 PM

Sweet, 8GB of internal memory. That's half the amount of my 6 dollar thumb drive and a full 3 GBs more than the original Xbox

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 3, 2011, 03:04 PM

Heh, good point. I keep my gamertag on that to switch between consoles.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2011, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Sweet, 8GB of internal memory. That's half the amount of my 6 dollar thumb drive and a full 3 GBs more than the original Xbox
And only 5GB less than your current xbox.

You're still using the original 13GB right?

Brien
Professional Poster
May 3, 2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
You are correct. The SOE Network is basically their PC network for Everquest, and most, if not all, other MMOs. PSN is different it is strictly for the Playstation and most recent the entertainment division (Bluray Players, PSP, etc).

My guess is both network infrastructures were setup the same way. They took the PSN down before the hackers got this far. Upon checking the entire network structure, someone noticed the other network had the same vulnerability.
It does make one wonder just how much further the rabbit hole goes.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2011, 07:37 AM

I'm seeing more and more stupid numbers being thrown about regarding the number of potential customers details/credit cards stolen. I mean 100 million????? One has to wonder how secure XBL is as well. Knowing a bit about security (I did 3 years working for a telecoms company in London), I presume that its the same at Sony as everywhere else :

Ok, the system is ready to roll-out, where's that checklist?
Shit!! Down at number 438 there's something about security that's not been ticked!
John, don't we make the sysadmins connect via SSH instead of Telnet for the back-end servers? Yeah? OK, it'll do.
Tick that little bastard, we're good to go.

Forum Links
Forum Rules