Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 8)
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
I just dropped some shekels for the Turtle Beach PX5 headset. I'm good, but crap...just $99?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2011, 03:50 AM

Gears of War 3 Campaign Trailer

I'm actually more excited for GoW3 than MW3 right now.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 31, 2011, 10:18 AM

Tuesday News: Pay Edition

L.A. Noire DLC and Rockstar Pass pre-order scheme revealed | Joystiq
Rockstar has revealed a steady slate of L.A. Noire DLC, coming until late July, that includes four new cases for Cole Phelps to bring his seething congeniality to. (Yep, the previously Best Buy-exclusive Nicholson Electroplating arson case is on the list.) You could buy all the content piecemeal for $20, or you could pre-purchase all of it for $10 with the newly announced Rockstar Pass. After June 14, the price of the pass will increase to $12.
Just as I suspected. Not a bad deal (Are cases worth $4? Probably not. $2.50? Still don't know, but better). I may buy the pass while I can and keep an eye on Amazon for when the price drops.

PSN to be 'fully restored' by the end of the week, Sony says | Joystiq
That's called the beginning of June, Sony.

These guys are really gonna ride it right up to the edge of E3.

Vita.SCEdev.net website spurs more speculation | Joystiq
As we all know, one website name is more than enough to confirm the rumored final name of the temporarily named NGP as "PlayStation Vita." Okay, okay, we may be getting ahead of ourselves a bit, but it is certainly interesting that Sony's developer sites contain a curious subdomain: Vita.SCEdev.net.
Sony appears to be trying to take a page out of Nintendo's book for terrible product names.

Group Claims to be Attacking Sony, Stealing Data. Again.
Over the past few days, broadcaster PBS has been the target of a concerted series of attacks on its online presence. Those hackers now claim they've moved onto targeting Sony.

A tweet issued by the group, going by the name LulzSec, says "Hey @Sony, you know we're making off with a bunch of your internal stuff right now and you haven't even noticed? Slow and steady, guys."
A. This is becoming Year of the Hack. For everybody.
B. Jesus, let it go.

Grand Theft Auto 4's Liberty City mapped in Google Street View | Joystiq
Awesome.

How Call of Duty Elite Works, and Why You Might Be Paying For It
Starting as a beta this summer and then launching on November 8, 2011—the same day as the next Call of Duty, Modern Warfare 3—Call of Duty: Elite will be a PC and mobile service that lets players track their stats, compete for real and virtual prizes, and form both social and gaming groups with players from across multiple CoD games.

Elite will be available in two tiers of service, one for paying and one for non-paying Call of Duty multiplayer fanatics. While all of the perks of membership are yet to be announced, that paying group may never have to pay for a Call of Duty map pack separately again.
At a glance, Elite resembles Bungie.net, the richly-detailed stat tracking service for that other mighty first-person-shooter series, Halo. But the top people behind the Elite project, including the heads of Beachhead Studios, an outfit dedicated exclusively to building and supporting Elite, promise that their service will prove to be the best of its kind, transcending expectations of websites for multiplayer video games.
It's not clear which other Elite elements will be exclusive to the paid version, let alone what a premium membership will cost. The paid version is at least confirmed to include more than just access to Elite.
Based on what we've been shown of Elite so far, the service looks like it will give CoD addicts a trove of data and networking options that they will surely enjoy. It doesn't offer anything to the single-player-only CoD gamer.
Well, now we know where MW2and Black Ops' stat tracking went.

It's difficult not to jump to conclusions. I'd have to assume that the stat tracking will be free and be at least as good as bungie's, though I don't put it past them to hide some of the better features of it behind a paywall.

What I do expect from the paywall (aside from DLC) is HD Youtube videos (Also, MW3 Theater confirmed?). My biggest issue is from the sounds of things this service will cost as much as XBOX Live Gold, and at $60 a year, I better be getting more than $30 worth of overpriced map packs and a few Youtube videos. (I also have to wonder what their incentive will be for you to subscribe year round. Or what limits will be placed on the DLC should you cancel the premium service)

Ball's in your court, Satan.

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 31, 2011, 10:49 AM

Sony announces Wireless Stereo Headset for the PlayStation 3, supports 7.1 surround sound for games

Personally, it looked great until I read this bit...

The surround sound feature will not work with Blu-ray movies though.
I'm out.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 31, 2011, 10:51 AM

DRM issue?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2011, 11:06 AM

What the crap? Seriously...

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 31, 2011, 12:02 PM

I assume you're using a headset for movies so you don't disturb someone? Because otherwise why would you use a headset for movies?!? I never use a headset for movies. Then again there isn't too many people to disturb.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 31, 2011, 12:34 PM

Small room and I don't want speakers in random places around the walls. If I went for speakers it would probably be a soundbar. I've currently got Creative computer speakers there, and even those are better that the built in ones in the TV
( Last edited by ajprice; Jun 1, 2011 at 08:24 AM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2011, 02:11 PM

In my situation, the wall between our living room and master bedroom is paper thin. My wife almost always goes to bed 4-5 hours before I do, so I have to have headphones.

I just can't fathom why they won't allow the headphones to work with Blu-ray.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 31, 2011, 02:12 PM

I'm serious, DRM. I'm sure there's some crazy ass "OMG they will hijack the wireless signal and steal the audio!" concern.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2011, 02:24 PM

Last week I asked if a firmware update would be required, it is.
It says that the surround sound feature would work only with firmware 3.70 and higher. Those keeping count would know that the PS3 is currently on the 3.61 firmware and 3.70 is not even out yet.[B] So this upcoming 3.70 firmware would enable surround sound output through the USB.
What we are interested in knowing is whether this works only for Sony’s headset or other USB headsets as well.
Lets hope so.
45/47

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Tuesday News: Pay Edition

How Call of Duty Elite Works, and Why You Might Be Paying For It

Well, now we know where MW2and Black Ops' stat tracking went.

It's difficult not to jump to conclusions. I'd have to assume that the stat tracking will be free and be at least as good as bungie's, though I don't put it past them to hide some of the better features of it behind a paywall.

What I do expect from the paywall (aside from DLC) is HD Youtube videos (Also, MW3 Theater confirmed?). My biggest issue is from the sounds of things this service will cost as much as XBOX Live Gold, and at $60 a year, I better be getting more than $30 worth of overpriced map packs and a few Youtube videos. (I also have to wonder what their incentive will be for you to subscribe year round. Or what limits will be placed on the DLC should you cancel the premium service)

Ball's in your court, Satan.
Bungie.net is the gold standard for stat tracking. I'm hoping the free Elite service offers the same.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2011, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
As Steve Jobs once said regarding Blu-Ray's DRM, "It's a bag of hurt."

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2011, 12:12 AM

The article doesn't say that. It just says the surround sound (probably meaning 7.1 audio) doesn't work. You can probably listen in stereo. It might be a technical limitation, not a DRM issue, but you never know with Sony. I don't buy anything from that evil company.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2011, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
As Steve Jobs once said regarding Blu-Ray's DRM, "It's a bag of hurt."
Don't blame me, I vored for Kodos (AKA HD-DVD)
45/47

P
Jun 1, 2011, 08:12 AM

Don't blame me, I vored for Kodos (AKA HD-DVD)
Wouldn't have made a difference. HD-DVD used AACS as well, and thus had the same moronic license agreement regarding the Protected Audio Path. Only difference for Bluray is BD+, which is annoying as all H E double hockeysticks, but does seem to sort-of work as it needs to be rebroken every now and then.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 2, 2011, 10:01 AM

Thursday News: PSN Store is up! Edition

PSN will be 'fully restored' today [Update: PlayStation Store back in North America] | Joystiq
Though there weren't that many days left in this week in which to relaunch PSN, Sony has officially narrowed down the date for reactivation of the PlayStation Store and other services -- to today (June 2). Qriocity services will also come back.
TwodayslateTwodayslateTwodayslateTwodayslateTwoday slateTwodayslateTwodayslateTwodayslateTwodayslate

Homefront's 'Fire Sale' map pack priced at 240 MS Points ($3) | Joystiq
First I complain about about announcements with no pricing, now we get the price but no info as to what the hell is in the pack. I'm really beginning to loathe the industry.
($3 Either this is the worst map pack ever, or the nicest company ever, because, wow)

Call of Duty Elite enlisting 'Hollywood talent' to create web TV series | Joystiq
"We have engaged some top Hollywood talent to create linear video content that will be exclusive to Elite members," Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg tells the Guardian. "That content is inspired by Call of Duty."
Hey Activision, if you think this will justify more than 5¢ worth of whatever awful price you're going to charge each month, think again.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 2, 2011, 02:40 PM

Hands on with Sony's NGP: the system, the games, the size!

That is a very, very impressive looking screen.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2011, 12:59 AM

It had better look danged good to get people to actually buy a handheld system in the days of iPhone/Android gaming.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 3, 2011, 10:22 AM

Friday News

EA is Launching Its Own Steam Competitor
Chances this will be worthwhile for gamers?

NGP backwards compatible with all PSP games (on PSN); smoothing and dual analog support included | Joystiq
"All PSP titles that are currently available on the PSN can be played on the NGP," VP of product development at SCEA Scott Rohde told a crowd of game journalists. "And they'll take full advantage of the graphics smoothing capabilities of the system and the controls will be remapped to take advantage of the dual analog sticks."
If Sony doesn't drop the ball on pricing, this thing could get real attractive.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2011, 11:30 AM

Metro: Last Light

Sequel to Metro: 2033, one of my favorite games of last year. Some beautiful screens and a nice teaser trailer are up for viewing.

I hope they ironed out some of the bugs, namely the hit detection which could be very confusing at times, Otherwise it's another game from 4A studios, made up mostly of the now defunct GSC Game Studios responsible for my favorite survival horror series ever, STALKER.

Nobody makes an immersive experience like these guys, true pros of the atmospheric game. I'll be picking it up release day for sure.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2011, 12:24 PM

It had better look danged good to get people to actually buy a handheld system in the days of iPhone/Android gaming.
As someone who owns a PSP and and iPhone, when I want to seriously game, my iPhone is not even a consideration for anything other than small casual gaming. The NGP is about having a portable console gaming experience, which the iPhone/Android have no market (Lack of buttons being the major issue). That is the big selling point for me, personally.

Example: being NBA Jam on the iPhone is one of my favorites. It would be better if I didn't have to use my fingers on top of the damn screen to control it, thus blocking my view. You can only do so much with touch being your only input option. But for what it cost, I can deal with it. I still love that game and play it when stuck somewhere from home.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2011, 12:25 PM

Are the "welcome back" items available?
45/47

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2011, 02:39 PM

Yeah, this morning but there were/are hiccups from what I've seen. I personally can't log in with my PSP.

PlayStation Network's 'Welcome Back' content now available | Joystiq

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2011, 05:40 AM

Battlefield 3 takes shot at MW3 with free social portal.

I'll be getting MW3 on its first day, but tbh, B3 sounds like it could really challenge Activision's hold of the on-line FPS market.

====================

You (you know who you are) going to be putting E3 stuff in here? Would make it easier instead of having another thread.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2011, 08:34 AM

Are the "welcome back" items available?
It just became available down under.

I'm considering wipeout hd, and ratchet & clank(quest for booty). Anyone have any experience with those games?

Also, I think both Sony and Nintendo will be streaming their keynotes from E3 next week. Looking forward to Project Cafe.

Cheers

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2011, 07:52 AM

Mine are downloading now. Infamous and Dead Nation on the PS3 (I've got Wipeout HD so Fury was half a freebie . On the PSP I've gone for LBP and Modnation Racers.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2011, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
As someone who owns a PSP and and iPhone, when I want to seriously game, my iPhone is not even a consideration for anything other than small casual gaming. The NGP is about having a portable console gaming experience, which the iPhone/Android have no market (Lack of buttons being the major issue). That is the big selling point for me, personally.

Example: being NBA Jam on the iPhone is one of my favorites. It would be better if I didn't have to use my fingers on top of the damn screen to control it, thus blocking my view. You can only do so much with touch being your only input option. But for what it cost, I can deal with it. I still love that game and play it when stuck somewhere from home.
I absolutely agree about the controls and "serious games", but what Nintendo/Sony are pushing up against now is that for (seemingly) the majority of people out there, iPhone/Android games are good enough.

When certain types of games work well on a touch device, and they're not just mildly enjoyable, but really good (or even great), it becomes harder to justify a $250 device that really only does one thing well. The end of the portable gaming device era is drawing a lot closer than Sony and Nintendo are hoping.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2011, 04:16 PM

I absolutely agree about the controls and "serious games", but what Nintendo/Sony are pushing up against now is that for (seemingly) the majority of people out there, iPhone/Android games are good enough.

When certain types of games work well on a touch device, and they're not just mildly enjoyable, but really good (or even great), it becomes harder to justify a $250 device that really only does one thing well. The end of the portable gaming device era is drawing a lot closer than Sony and Nintendo are hoping.
I don't see the NGP doing that at all, if anything it's trying to do both. I agree with everyone that the price point is going to be critical. More important than the console price, is the game prices. I think that is the biggest challenge for the entire industry going forward is that the iPhone/Android market have shown when digital only, give a damn price break. Why would I pay retail price for a downloadable copy, I can't resell, or play on another machine? The market has shown that $60 games are too much, just looking at the growth of the used game market. GameStop has companies trying to screw customers over now with DLC, pre-orders, and now online passes.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2011, 11:33 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 6, 2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
You (you know who you are) going to be putting E3 stuff in here? Would make it easier instead of having another thread.
I'm not at work today, but yes, all E3 news should go in this thread.

(I heard the xbox.com team already bungled and revealed 4 and Combat Evolved Anniversary)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2011, 12:16 PM

Seeing how often it happens, I'm not entirely convinced that these "leaks" the day of major announcements are accidental. It creates a little extra buzz to get the blogs going.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2011, 03:57 PM

"We're not targeting Nintendo. We like the N64 too much - we sincerely hope Nintendo plugs the gap."

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2011, 04:38 PM

So I'm guessing the dashboard will be updated in the fall to mirror the Win Phone 7/ Windows 8 interface? I'm not looking forward to that.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2011, 04:39 PM

Oh I forgot to add... Master Chief is back bitches!

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2011, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
So I'm guessing the dashboard will be updated in the fall to mirror the Win Phone 7/ Windows 8 interface? I'm not looking forward to that.
You mean like this? Here's what the 'new' New Xbox Experience looks like | Joystiq

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 6, 2011, 06:16 PM

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2011, 06:18 PM

Caption competition?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2011, 10:05 PM

Nice, PS Vita $249 wifi, $299 wifi/3g. [SOLD]

The split screen feature of their new 3D monitor sounds pretty damn impressive I have to admit.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2011, 01:59 AM

For hardcore gamers, Sony actually had a better keynote, though these things seem to be trending more casual.

For any who might not have heard, I'll back up exca1ibur's remarks:

E3 2011 - Eyes-On with the Sony Playstation 3D Display

In an effort to make 3D gaming more accessible, Sony has announced the PlayStation 3D Display, a 24" LED LCD 1080p HDTV that will retail for $499.99 when it launches later this year.
Price is, of course, one of the biggest hangups consumers have with 3D HDTVs -- if, of course, they like 3D technology at all -- so naturally, a $499.99 3D-enabled display is intriguing. Though the display isn't particularly large, the picture quality was better than I was expecting.

It boasts a 5000:1 contrast ratio, 240Hz refresh rate, and a 176 degree viewing angle, delivered via an edge lit LED display, making gameplay vibrant but not over-saturated.

But of course, the PlayStation 3D Display's major marketing point is it's Two Player Mode, which allows two players to see two separate fullscreen images using stereoscopic active shutter glasses. Instead of having to view a splitscreen image, the PlayStation 3D Display overlays the images on top of each other, but each pair of glasses is synched to only one layer.

[EDIT] You know...it looks like a big Vita...

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 7, 2011, 10:14 AM

Apologies for the absence.

Tuesday News: E3 Edition

Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary vs Halo: Combat Evolved: FIGHT! | Joystiq
So fatty, any interest in this nostalgia?

Here's what the 'new' New Xbox Experience looks like | Joystiq
I suppose the nature of the industry requires such aesthetic overhauls to occur so often, but it seems pointless. If I read the graphic correctly, looks like we'll be going vertical scrolling through categories to horizontal – just the way it was before NXE.

'Cloud Storage' coming to Xbox Live, game saves and profile on the go | Joystiq
Well, there goes one of PlayStation Plus' few unique features.

YouTube coming to Xbox Live | Joystiq
I'm actually pretty pumped for this. I watch a lot of gameplay videos, and if it defaults to HD it'd be 5x better than the pain in the ass it is to watch it on a comp.

Forza 4 sliding into retail on October 11 | Joystiq

PlayStation claims lead in Netflix devices, adding CinemaNow to PSN | Joystiq
I find this hard to believe as everything I've heard prior to this suggests otherwise.

BioShock Infinite features Move functionality, free BioShock 1 on PS3 | Joystiq
Strikes me as quite the endorsement, as I don't see Levine shoe-horning this in unhappily.

Need for Speed: The Run, SSX, and Battlefield 3 have exclusive content on PS3 | Joystiq
Apparently Sony is going to close out this gen flogging the hell out of this horse. Awful.

PlayStation Vita launches globally by end of 2011, starting at $249 | Joystiq
It's a miracle. Sony did it. Trying hard not to think the hacking situation might have out them on their heels on the pricing, but either way, well done Sony. The reaction to the anouncement has been so overwhelmingly positive. This might be hard to come by at launch.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2011, 10:43 AM

This is what I've wanted. Sold.

Here's what the 'new' New Xbox Experience looks like | Joystiq
I suppose the nature of the industry requires such aesthetic overhauls to occur so often, but it seems pointless. If I read the graphic correctly, looks like we'll be going vertical scrolling through categories to horizontal – just the way it was before NXE.
I notice the new XBL interface uses "Apps" instead of lumping Netflix, Hulu, ESPN3, etc. into Videos, as well as Facebook and the rest. About freaking time.

'Cloud Storage' coming to Xbox Live, game saves and profile on the go | Joystiq
Well, there goes one of PlayStation Plus' few unique features.
As soon as it was announced for PS+, I knew it would show up on XBL shortly.

YouTube coming to Xbox Live | Joystiq
I'm actually pretty pumped for this. I watch a lot of gameplay videos, and if it defaults to HD it'd be 5x better than the pain in the ass it is to watch it on a comp.
It all depends on the interface for me. I hate typing on an on-screen QWERTY. And considering how great YouTubers are with spelling/grammar, Kinect voice search might not always bring up exactly what you want.

PlayStation claims lead in Netflix devices, adding CinemaNow to PSN | Joystiq
I find this hard to believe as everything I've heard prior to this suggests otherwise.
Movie/TV addicts and videophiles bought a PS3 for Blu-ray long ago. Not surprising.

BioShock Infinite features Move functionality, free BioShock 1 on PS3 | Joystiq
Strikes me as quite the endorsement, as I don't see Levine shoe-horning this in unhappily.
Played Killzone 3 with it. It's actually pretty cool.

Need for Speed: The Run, SSX, and Battlefield 3 have exclusive content on PS3 | Joystiq
Apparently Sony is going to close out this gen flogging the hell out of this horse. Awful.
Awful becaaaaaauuuuuse...

PlayStation Vita launches globally by end of 2011, starting at $249 | Joystiq
It's a miracle. Sony did it. Trying hard not to think the hacking situation might have out them on their heels on the pricing, but either way, well done Sony. The reaction to the anouncement has been so overwhelmingly positive. This might be hard to come by at launch.
I'm still a little floored that they actually got it done. We'll have to see if it's a long-term home run, but all the gaming sites seem excited, and the editors are crapping their pants on Twitter.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 7, 2011, 10:52 AM

I notice the new XBL interface uses "Apps" instead of lumping Netflix, Hulu, ESPN3, etc. into Videos, as well as Facebook and the rest. About freaking time.
Of course, it looks like they've hidden it as far away from the start screen as possible, much like the friends list.

As soon as it was announced for PS+, I knew it would show up on XBL shortly.
It took over a year.

It all depends on the interface for me. I hate typing on an on-screen QWERTY. And considering how great YouTubers are with spelling/grammar, Kinect voice search might not always bring up exactly what you want.
I have the keypad, so not too big of a deal. I wonder how efficient kinect is versus the d-pad.

Movie/TV addicts and videophiles bought a PS3 for Blu-ray long ago. Not surprising.
Raw numbers. XBOX is up by like 10 million units in North America (Nearly 40% more consoles). Does not compute.

Awful becaaaaaauuuuuse...
Trolling? I've explained this before several times.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2011, 11:01 AM

Of course, it looks like they've hidden it as far away from the start screen as possible, much like the friends list.
...so we can continue to scroll through the ads? That's my main pet peeve with XBL.

It took over a year.
Seriously? Didn't seem like that long ago. I know it's only been live since around March 10.

I have the keypad, so not too big of a deal. I wonder how efficient kinect is versus the d-pad.
Is the keypad worth the money? I've balked on buying one about 50 times.

Raw numbers. XBOX is up by like 10 million units in North America (Nearly 40% more consoles). Does not compute.
The only explanation seems to point to a stark difference in user base. PS3 owners want to do a little of everything, while 360 owners want to play games.

I seriously doubt Sony would blatantly lie about something that could be easily refuted by a quick phone call to Netflix.

Trolling? I've explained this before several times.
I remember. I just don't remember the same kind of disgust when Microsoft locks in exclusives with ESPN3, CoD DLC early release, disc-less Netflix (lasted only a full year), and a few others.
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Jun 7, 2011 at 11:11 AM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 7, 2011, 11:12 AM

...so we can continue to scroll through the ads? That's my main pet peeve with XBL.
That's what I was getting at.

Seriously? Didn't seem like that long ago. I know it's only been live since around March 10
I thought the feature was advertised when PlayStation Plus was announced. Oh well, not really a selling point either way.

Is the keypad worth the money? I've balked on buying one about 50 times.
That's a total judgment call. I don't think I've done $10 of use on it, but its a really nice option to have for recovering gametags and entering retail codes.

The only explanation seems to point to a stark difference in user base. PS3 owners want to do a little of everything, while 360 owners want to play games.
Haha, I love that this horrible argument is getting trotted out to defend my incredulousness that the PS3 is top on something.

I found another article corroborating the numbers. Blu-Ray aside it's still shocking that with a year's lead and a huge install advantage the PS3 is leading.

I remember. I just don't remember the same kind of vitriol when Microsoft locks in exclusives with ESPN3, CoD DLC early release, disc-less Netflix (lasted only a full year), and a few others.
Well, there's a key difference between those examples and what Sony is doing. (And for the third time, I disavowed MS' DLC tactic, so would you kindly let it the **** go?).

Here's a question for you: How much vitriol did I show for Sony's Hulu Plus exclusivity? Hint: You'll find I've been consistent.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2011, 11:26 AM

That's a total judgment call. I don't think I've done $10 of use on it, but its a really nice option to have for recovering gametags and entering retail codes.
It mostly drives me crazy while entering messages. I'll probably vacillate until the next console comes out.

Haha, I love that this horrible argument is getting trotted out to defend my incredulousness that the PS3 is top on something.

I found another article corroborating the numbers. Blu-Ray aside it's still shocking that with a year's lead and a huge install advantage the PS3 is leading.
Horrible? I think it makes perfect sense.

Now that I think about it, I couldn't begin to tell you how often I see my PSN friends on Netflix. Meanwhile, on 360, it seems like it's mostly just you (watching Blackadder or Fry and Laurie). Good taste, BTW.

Well, there's a key difference between those examples and what Sony is doing. (And for the third time, I disavowed MS' DLC tactic, so would you kindly let it the **** go?).

Here's a question for you: How much vitriol did I show for Sony's Hulu Plus exclusivity? Hint: You'll find I've been consistent.
Considering that exclusivity deals (particularly on DLC) have become entrenched within the industry this generation, you're probably the one that needs to let it go. I'll take your word that you've been consistent (not least of all because I'm sure as heck not going through dozens of pages to find the quotes) -- I just think Microsoft usually comes out on top on these exclusivity deals. It sucks for consumers, but it's not going away any time soon. I hate it, but I'll accept it as best I can.

Ugh...ESPN3 especially...

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 7, 2011, 11:38 AM

Horrible? I think it makes perfect sense.
It's an overplayed chiché. It might have been true of the past, but much like the Wii's oft-lamented lack of 3rd party support, it's mostly smoke and mirrors now.

Now that I think about it, I couldn't begin to tell you how often I see my PSN friends on Netflix. Meanwhile, on 360, it seems like it's mostly just you (watching Blackadder or Fry and Laurie). Good taste, BTW.
Fatty, Todd, saint, euthyphro, subie... I see them all on Netflix with regularity. I have no PS3 friends to compare with (though Todd used to to do his viewing on there).

Considering that exclusivity deals (particularly on DLC) have become entrenched within the industry this generation, you're probably the one that needs to let it go. I'll take your word that you've been consistent (not least of all because I'm sure as heck not going through dozens of pages to find the quotes) -- I just think Microsoft usually comes out on top on these exclusivity deals. It sucks for consumers, but it's not going away any time soon. I hate it, but I'll accept it as best I can.
Really? What console exclusive DLC was coming out before two years ago? And what exclusive DLC has MS locked down?

Yeah, there were occasional retailer exclusives but they were rarely actual in-game content.

Ugh...ESPN3 especially...
Apple-to-oranges.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2011, 11:56 AM

Arguing exhausts me.

As far as E3 is concerned, I'm very, very happy...

- Live TV announced for XBL. Yay. Now just give me more details.
- Halo: CE, not just in HD, but remastered totally. Looks great.
- I'm regretting buying a Kinect, but MSoft reminded me that it's a pretty impressive piece of technology.
- Sony's apology was classy. Link to YouTube video (about 5 minutes).
- Uncharted 3 still looks amazing, and remains my most anticipated game of the generation.
- Sony showed a ton of exclusives that all looked great, Resistance 3 in particular.
- PS Vita is a stupid name (and is supposed to be pronounced "wee-ta"), but $250/300 is right-on, and gives them a fighting shot. Also, the games looked great.
- FIFA 12's Football Club adds more features to the greatest sports game out there.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2011, 12:04 PM

I'm sure the numbers for Netflix come from this which was published a few weeks back.

Gamasutra - News - Report: Netflix On Consoles Leads Bandwidth Usage In America

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 7, 2011, 12:05 PM

Already settled, boss.

Forum Links
Forum Rules