Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Looking for testers

Looking for testers
djohnson
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 02:48 PM

reader50
Administrator
Oct 26, 2004, 06:48 PM

For those (like me) who are curious and didn't know what the heck SetiLoggerX is, or what testers he's looking for...

SetiLoggerX appears to be a helper app that monitors workunit completion, and plots the work units on a sky map, so you can see where you've been. It also projects completion times and calculates some basic stats. It's not clear from his FAQ pages if BOINC-SETI is supported, and there is no About page. The large number of error messages on his page in my browser is troublesome.

He's calling for beta testers of the latest OSX version (SetiLogger started in MacOS 8-9).

djohnson  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 07:10 PM

Thank you reader50. Sorry for the lack of information earlier, I was in a bit of a rush. Now that I have more time, I will explain a little better.

SetiLogger X is a helper application to track the status of your command line seti@home client for Mac OS X. It keeps track of previous units, the progress and time of the current unit, and displays the units on a sky map. The current version does not support the BOINC client. I am working on a version for the BOINC client, but as long as the seti@home people keep changing how they store the data, it cannot be finished.

About the error results on the website, I am guessing you are using 10.2? For some reason Safari that comes with 10.2 does not render the page correctly. If you use Safari on 10.3, it works fine.

Current Screenshots

Metal Theme

Stats
Info
Log
Map

Normal Theme

Stats
Info
Log
Map

Preferences

Let me know what you think. I need some help testing it on other computers. For me, it is working correctly but as you see with the page error, different computers show different things. Also, you can find some limited information at TFWorld Software. If anyone needs more information, please let me know!

djohnson  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 04:18 PM

Anyone?

davygravy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2004, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by djohnson:
Anyone?
Hi DJ,

I've emailed you twice - not sure if it isnt't getting through (maybe I'm getting spam-filtered), but I'm interested.

I've got 4 different machines that I can test it on, if that makes any difference...

I look forward to it,

davygravy

djohnson  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2004, 11:20 AM

davygravy,

I just sent an email back to you. The email was stored on my work computer and I just now received it. Is anyone still running the pre-BOINC command line client?

mikkyo
Senior User
Oct 28, 2004, 07:16 PM

I doubt you will find many classic seti users at all.

davygravy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2004, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by mikkyo:
I doubt you will find many classic seti users at all.
...alas, 'tis mostly likely true...

Say, djohnson, is the information that you need to gleen in the client_state.xml file? I noticed that it has the workunit info, cpu time, etc.

Did they change its format when they upgraded from Boinc 2 to Boinc 3? Or does it change with every minor revision? (like 3.11 -> 3.13)

davygravy

djohnson  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 08:30 AM

So far as I could tell, complete files would exist in one version and not exist in the next. I had a LOT of demand for the classic version, but maybe now people are running the BOINC version? Ok, I will see if I can convert the program over today. I will email you to check it out for me when I get a stable version. If you have the time davygravy, I would like to send it to you when I complete each section. How does that sound?

djohnson  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 03:37 PM

Good news. I have a basic version working for BOINC. If you would like to help test it, please shoot me an email or PM me. Thanks!

davygravy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2004, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by djohnson:
So far as I could tell, complete files would exist in one version and not exist in the next. I had a LOT of demand for the classic version, but maybe now people are running the BOINC version? Ok, I will see if I can convert the program over today. I will email you to check it out for me when I get a stable version. If you have the time davygravy, I would like to send it to you when I complete each section. How does that sound?
Sounds great...I'll be happy to help out. I will run it on different machines, send screenshots of any errors I see, log files, etc. Just let me know where you want me to download it from. - or- If you are emailing the actual file and it is under 1MB, ...or if it is a larger file like 2MB, you can email it to me at purdyd at tds daught net , which is my alternate email add ress.

davygravy
( Last edited by davygravy; Oct 29, 2004 at 05:08 PM. )

djohnson  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2004, 10:07 AM

Ok,the beta has been sent out to those that have contacted me. Hopefully they will let you know how it is working! If all goes well, I will release it later this week. Thanks!

djohnson  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2004, 11:41 AM

Sorry for the delays, but does anyone else want to help test? I could use 1 or 2 more people. Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules