Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is this Christmas getting you down?

Is this Christmas getting you down?
Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2004, 03:01 PM

I am certainly meh-meh-meh-mehlon-k-k-k-k-k pretty darn sad.
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

SafariX
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2004, 03:02 PM

Not this year. I just graduated, got some nice gifts, gave some nice gifts, spent time with friends, family and loved ones and start a new job in 2 weeks.

Just remember for all those who think its bad....it can ALWAYS be worse, and be thankful for what you do have.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2004, 03:02 PM

I love Santa, and I was good this year so I'm happy.

Skip Breakfast  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2004, 03:07 PM

Just remember for all those who think its bad....it can ALWAYS be worse, and be thankful for what you do have.
Or be thankful for what you have left. I've lost two of my closest relatives in the last 12 months, and on the verge of losing a third. Bleh.
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Dec 21, 2004, 07:37 PM

Sorry man... but keep your chin up. I don't know but I think your relatives would be sad if they knew they made you sad. You know.

Have a happy Christmas.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2004, 07:53 PM

Sorry to hear that skip breakfast. That's very sad.

I was down a couple of days ago over something similar. (My friend, who has decided to marry a 17-year old girl without having met her and I had a big fight and now no longer are friends -- guess I wasn't his friend after all, I think.)

But, you know what? I decided to do some nice things for other people and I'm feeling MUCH better. I'm getting into the holiday spirit after all. I wrote out some Christmas letters and that cheered me up even more.)

If you're in Florida and want to join a huge zany family for Christmas you're welcome to join us!

Mafia
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2004, 07:57 PM

be and enjoy the holidays
http://www.mafia-designs.com

demograph68
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2004, 08:11 PM

I say... "**** Christmas!"

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2004, 08:31 PM

Not at all, this is the coming of my Lord Jesus Christ. The real reason for a Merry Christmas.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2004, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
Not at all, this is the coming of my Lord Jesus Christ. The real reason for a Merry Christmas.
When you prove it was his birthday...

demograph68
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2004, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by TheBadgerHunter:
That's what I thought too.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Dec 21, 2004, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by ManOfSteal:
I love Santa, and I was good this year so I'm happy.
I heard that Santa loves you too

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2004, 12:15 AM

I'm leaving Texas for Christmas, of course I'm happy! (only for 2 days, though. )

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2004, 07:16 PM

I'm staying with the relatives for Christmas. It's -2 degrees here in Nebraska. Other than that, Christmas couldn't be better. It doesn't look like everyone will be sick this year.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2004, 08:12 PM

i thought mine was going to be spent alone on my couch (i am this country, my family lives on the other side of the world), but then a friend phoned me and asked if i wanted to join his family for christmas.

things are picking up.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2004, 08:41 PM

good to hear u have someone to spend the christmas with.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2004, 09:43 PM

It was adapted to December for various reasons. Celebrating Christ can come any day of the year. I don't know why you guys bitch every time Christmas comes around and say "OMG Jezus wuz n�t bourne on Deecember 25th!" It does not mater. Nobody knows for sure when he was born. But celebrating his birth is the real purpose, be it on the ture day or not.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2004, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by CreepingDeth:
It was adapted to December for various reasons. Celebrating Christ can come any day of the year. I don't know why you guys bitch every time Christmas comes around and say "OMG Jezus wuz n�t bourne on Deecember 25th!" It does not mater. Nobody knows for sure when he was born. But celebrating his birth is the real purpose, be it on the ture day or not.
Maybe I'm hugely mistaken but isn't it both unimportant and vastly incorrect?

The "true" purpose was muddled to death long ago. Kind of fitting since it was merely a nice way of christianizing a pagan holiday.

Now I like christmas as much as anyone. Gift giving, generally higher spirits. Watching people at the airport. Great time of year all around but lets not pretend its something that it isn't.

Psychonaut
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2004, 12:37 AM

It's been good so far. After Christmas I'll be flying to the Dominican Republic to distribute clothes, medical and school supplies to some remote villages. Hopefully I can spread some cheer.
DBGFHRGL!

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Dec 23, 2004, 01:05 AM

I usually love Christmas, but this year has been so hectic and frought with challenges in my life that it has been difficult to enjoy to say the least.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2004, 02:38 AM

I don't agree with your sig, budster. I don't really think God is on my "level" so-to-speak.

Hope the New Year is better for you.

Personally, for all of you out there who are enjoying good health, you have the world by the b*lls.

Click here and remember that for some people this may be their last Christmas with their children and loved ones.

Make the most of every minute and use the holidays to show the people you love how much you love them, even if it's only taking an extra hour or two out of your schedule to be with someone.

Life is precious.

dillerX
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2004, 03:25 AM

This Christmas is rocking.

Starting a new business in January. Everything is on the up and up.
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

gerbnl
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2004, 03:41 AM

Nope!, Not even then... Every day millions of people have their birthday, i don't see why this bloke jesus's birthday should be any different. (And from what i can remember from reading the bible long ago, nor does jesus)

I ******* hate christmas, a bunch of people considering themselves good, congratulating themselves on their goodnessuke! and apart from all that religion stuff, nothing but a feast of commerce.
These people are Americans. Don't expect anything meaningful or... uh... normalcy...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2004, 04:19 AM

Sad and strange Christmas this year.

chalk_outline
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2004, 06:06 AM

Originally posted by Skip Breakfast:
I am certainly meh-meh-meh-mehlon-k-k-k-k-k pretty darn sad.
This one is actually the best. No Wal-Mart. No gross consumerism. Just another day off work. The family has stopped participating in X-mas. And we love it.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2004, 06:13 AM

Jesus was likely born in the spring time, around April and surely not on Dec 25, which was a pagan holiday.

The family had to travel for the census and taxes, which was undertaken at the beginning (though sometimes at the end) of the harvest season.

Anyway, it's a little difficult to be in the true Christmas spirit away from the folks (and also when it's 80 outside). But a quiet holiday time with the s/o will be good as it looks as if 2005 will be much better than this past year.

Besides, I found it's usually people who get you down around the holidays, not Christmas itself.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2004, 06:31 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
Besides, I found it's usually people who get you down around the holidays, not Christmas itself.
Very true. I hate it when i dont know what to get people, but they expect a gift and i feel obligated. that's when it bugs me. it's not that i'm enthusiastic cause i dunno what to get 'em. so it's just confusion and stress. will they like what i get? i hope so, i'm not pooping money here! .. and if they dont .. it's like .. double whammy. i spent cash on something they dont like, and it leaves a bad impression. oh .. lancer409 got me a crappy gift last year (dude) ...

and worse yet, it's not tit for that, but what do i get the guy who doesnt have a lot of bills? has a job, and got me a scratched up shotglass for christmas last year?...

*sigh*

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

vexborg
Senior User
Dec 23, 2004, 06:39 AM

Well, perhaps not Christmas itself, but there's a new factor for me to be slightly depressed, sad and stressed.

I've just earned myself 6 weeks of from work due a newly developed heart problem - from time to time, it feels like my heart is skipping beats, and after a visit to my doctor it has ben comfirmed, while I was there, my skipped beats quite regulary

So now I have to wait until the 17. January 2005 to get a ECG and it'll hopefully reveal if something is wrong or not?

My doctor suspects the cause to be stress, but just to be on the safe side she want's me to get the ECG.

It's a bit scary to think about, and it makes me slightly depressed and sad...

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2004, 11:05 AM

Are you a woman by any chance?

Because that is common with women due to hormones. I have had that periodically in the past. Caffeine also causes it. Stress causes it. A lot of times what you're THINKING is skipped beats is actually heart palpitations which are quite common. Your heart slows for a minute or a beat then it jumps forward like a double beat to make up for it. Feels like your heart pounds fast then slow then really hard for one beat. Most of us have them but don't notice them.

Trust me, you'll be fine.

Even if it was skipped beats what they do is give you medication for 30 days to see if it helps.

Even if it was a "worst case scenario" all they would do is give you a pacemaker and they are tiny nowadays.

Don't let it bother you. Get out more. See the sights. Enjoy life more. Do something in public involving other people. In other words, don't sit around and wait for your heart to skip beats and worry yourself about it. It's not worth it.

Trust me, you're not going anywhere.

Merry Christmas!

djohnson
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2004, 11:21 AM

Christmas getting me down??? NEVER!!! Christmas means a week off of work, seeing family, getting new things, this year getting a new truck(!!!), and best of all, celebrating the birth of Jesus. It does not matter what day or season He was born. What matters is that He was born!

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2004, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by djohnson:
Christmas getting me down??? NEVER!!! Christmas means a week off of work, seeing family, getting new things, this year getting a new truck(!!!), and best of all, celebrating the birth of Jesus. It does not matter what day or season He was born. What matters is that He was born!
Well, I mean being born isn't really that hard. Its not like HE did anything. You should be thanking poor mary there. Probably wasn't a picnic for her.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2004, 04:13 PM

I'm hoping to just relax during the holidays this year, as I get a full week and a half off of work. However, it looks like I'll be spending a ton of time with my girlfriend's family since many of them are visiting this year. Not that I don't like them, just that they don't give me much time to do the things I want to do, which during my vacation often involves video games

Maybe I'm anti-social, but I just value my free time immensely and her family often thinks nothing of eating up people's free time with tasks they don't want to do. My gf recognizes this phenomenon but she just lets it happen, and then vents about it to me. My family operates quite differently.
( Last edited by itai195; Dec 23, 2004 at 04:20 PM. )

gerbnl
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2004, 04:16 PM

These people are Americans. Don't expect anything meaningful or... uh... normalcy...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2004, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by gerbnl:
Here, have a season's greeting card
Started off pretty cool, but ended before it ever made a point of any sort.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Dec 23, 2004, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
I don't agree with your sig, budster. I don't really think God is on my "level" so-to-speak.

Hope the New Year is better for you.

Personally, for all of you out there who are enjoying good health, you have the world by the b*lls.

Click here and remember that for some people this may be their last Christmas with their children and loved ones.

Make the most of every minute and use the holidays to show the people you love how much you love them, even if it's only taking an extra hour or two out of your schedule to be with someone.

Life is precious.

Ok, that's ok with me if you disagree with it. I believe God is on our level, and it is because of Jesus that he is, so blame him. wink.

Oh, and I just finished crying after viewing that link, but thanks for the slap in the face to wake me from this slightly self-consuming battle with my depression. What a touching story.

I'll take your advice. Thank You.

Merry Christmas!

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2004, 05:43 PM

His actual birthday wasn't on December 25th. More likely in March or April. This date was chosen to compete against a Pagan holiday.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Forum Links
Forum Rules