Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > thanks, ubuntu

thanks, ubuntu
kick52
Baninated
Feb 1, 2006, 09:28 AM

hi, all.

even though i specificly told ubuntu to install on my empty 6gb, it goes and wipes both.

dont bother with ubuntu.

kick52

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2006, 11:41 AM

Yeah, Linux distros are like that -- shoddy, untrustworthy, patchwork quilts. The best thing was when the 2.6 kernel thought it knew your partition tables better than any other OS installed, rewrote it, and rendered everything else useless.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2006, 11:45 AM

I'm sorry. Sometimes the disk partioning section of the installation can be confusing.

I'm running Ubuntu 5.10 now, except I'm using the i386 version on an Athlon64 PC. I'd rather be using a Mac, but I sold my PowerMac in hopes for an Intel iBook at Macworld. Now that I got everything set up, I'm finding Ubuntu to be very nice. Heck I can even play some of my PC games now (Doom 3, UT2004, etc).

HisDudeness
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2006, 02:13 AM

Just try out xgl and compiz on Ubuntu 6.04 all of your problems will be solved

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2006, 02:18 AM

Yeah, all your problems will be solved by using experimental tech demos.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2006, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tomchu
Yeah, all your problems will be solved by using experimental tech demos.
Oh come on, we've all had bad experiences with software, especially Linux. Even iTunes installers erase hard drives sometimes... you don't have to go using anything experimental to get that functionality.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2006, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by [APi]TheMan
Oh come on, we've all had bad experiences with software, especially Linux. Even iTunes installers erase hard drives sometimes... you don't have to go using anything experimental to get that functionality.
Yeah, you're absolutely right. In fact, when I tried to import a photo into iPhoto, my iBook completely crashed, complained that I would have to recompile the kernel to add photo importing support, and then it stole ownership of my first-born child.

Forum Links
Forum Rules