Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > HP DeskJet 5650, HP Photosmart 7660 or Epson C84 - Feedback?

HP DeskJet 5650, HP Photosmart 7660 or Epson C84 - Feedback?
im_noahselby
Senior User
Aug 5, 2004, 09:44 AM

Epson Stylus C84 - $89.98 CDN
HP DeskJet 5650 - $169.98 CDN
HP Photosmart 7660 - $199.98 CDN

I'm gearing up for a new printer purchase and have no idea where to start. I've done a few hours of research, but am no closer to any definite answer. Hopefully, someone here can speak from experience having owned a printer listed above.

HP:
I have owned an HP DeskJet 960 in the past and it always seemed to work fine for me without any issues to speak of. So I guess, I am leaning towards HP in the sense that I have owned one trouble free under 10.1-10.3 I especially like HP's attention to design of their printers.

Epson:
I have never owned an Epson printer before. I have read some negative things about Epsons and the printer head/ink clogging? or something like that. I've also read that Epsons have driver issues on Macs? Should I be concerned with this particular printer (Epson C84)?

At this point, I'm leaning towards the Epson because it includes a high capacity black ink cartridge and this will be my primary usage of whichever printer I end up with. The Epson is also the cheapest of the three. If you feel one of these printers represent the best value of the three, than please point it out to me. The last thing I want to do is buy a printer and than encounter problems down the road.
( Last edited by im_noahselby; Aug 5, 2004 at 09:53 AM. )
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 5, 2004, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by im_noahselby:
Epson Stylus C84 - $89.98 CDN
HP DeskJet 5650 - $169.98 CDN
HP Photosmart 7660 - $199.98 CDN

I'm gearing up for a new printer purchase and have no idea where to start. I've done a few hours of research, but am no closer to any definite answer. Hopefully, someone here can speak from experience having owned a printer listed above.

HP:
I have owned an HP DeskJet 960 in the past and it always seemed to work fine for me without any issues to speak of. So I guess, I am leaning towards HP in the sense that I have owned one trouble free under 10.1-10.3 I especially like HP's attention to design of their printers.

Epson:
I have never owned an Epson printer before. I have read some negative things about Epsons and the printer head/ink clogging? or something like that. I've also read that Epsons have driver issues on Macs? Should I be concerned with this particular printer (Epson C84)?

At this point, I'm leaning towards the Epson because it includes a high capacity black ink cartridge and this will be my primary usage of whichever printer I end up with. The Epson is also the cheapest of the three. If you feel one of these printers represent the best value of the three, than please point it out to me. The last thing I want to do is buy a printer and than encounter problems down the road.
I own the HP 5650 and it's output is except-able. But if you want the best bang for the buck, you also need to consider Canon printers such as the new iP4000 or the older i860. The Canon printers will provide you with the lowest cost of ownership and the drivers are very good.

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2004, 09:12 PM

I owned an Epson C82, and the heads clogged up just a few months after the warranty expired (of course). Previously, I had an Epson Stylus 740 which gave many years of service.

However, I had no choice but to buy another Epson (C84 this time) because I need waterproof inks. They pretty much have the only consumer inkjets with that feature. If that isn't important to you, I'd say go with Canon. The i960 is an excellent photo printer.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2004, 12:07 AM

For Best Printing Quality I find HP, then Epson then Canon in that order.
For cost of INK I go with either Canon or Epson, HP is costly
For reliability, strength I like HPs the most, they last and are solid.

I also find that Epsons go through a lot of ink, but there ink is cheap. Its a tough call. If you just want it for printing text, get cheap and you can always upgrade later if you need more or get a laser printer. I like the Samsung ones because there cheap, small and reliable.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2004, 02:23 AM

If you read consumer reports you will find their top rated printer to be the Canon i860. HP takes the next four or five spots but their text cost, in most cases, is doubled. You will also find that Canon's drivers are more reliable while HP's have been problematic at best. Although I have to admit that the latest HP drivers have been much better.

PLin
Aug 7, 2004, 10:57 AM

In my experience, clogging becomes a problem with Epson printers only with irregular use. If you are using the printer daily, clogging should not be an issue. However, I know a few people who print something regularly for the sole purpose of preventing clogs.

The other concern is whether or not you ever plan on getting a USB print server to print over a network. HP's native drivers don't allow printing to a non-HP printer server, and HP's external JetDirect servers are very expensive. Apple lists the 5650 as compatible with the Airport Extreme's USB server, so I'm not sure how that works. As a workaround, you can use open source drivers, but it's not as straightforward to do that. In comparison, Epson drivers seem to work with any brand of USB Print Server.

Peter
BT Boutique - For All of Your Bluetooth Wireless Technology Needs
www.btboutique.com
Technohappymeal
www.technohappymeal.com

OreoCookie
Aug 7, 2004, 12:44 PM

I would recommend getting a Canon photo printer such as the Canon i965 or Canon i990. If you often use the printer for other things as well, try a Canon i865.

Just do a search on `recommended inkjet printers' or something similar and you'll have an idea why it is the most frequently recommended printer company for inkjets.

PS I have owned several HPs, and my parents still do.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Aug 7, 2004, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by PLin:
HP's native drivers don't allow printing to a non-HP printer server, and HP's external JetDirect servers are very expensive. Apple lists the 5650 as compatible with the Airport Extreme's USB server, so I'm not sure how that works.
I do plan on plugging in my future printer into AirPort Express/Extreme, for wireless printing. Are you saying that the 7660 or any other HP printer wouldn't work??? I thought all USB printers worked?

Noah
( Last edited by im_noahselby; Aug 7, 2004 at 04:20 PM. )
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2004, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by im_noahselby:
I do plan on plugging in my future printer into AirPort Express/Extreme, for wireless printing. Are you saying that the 5660 or any other HP printer wouldn't work??? I thought all USB printers worked?

Noah
If you are going to plug your printer into a wireless network and you want an HP then you should be considering a Deskjet 5850. This printer has both ethernet and wireless 802.11b built in.

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Aug 7, 2004, 03:37 PM

Can someone please provide me with a link to AirPort Express's supported printers. I cannot find the page on Apple's site.

All I will be doing is plugging a printer into AirPort Express, using a USB cable, and printing using my laptop to initiate the print. I am lost completely when people talk about networking. The last thing I want is to buy an inkjet printer which is not supported.

So am I now looking for a printer that specifies it has 802.11b/g built in?

Please help...
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2004, 03:58 PM

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107418

This is a the list of compatabile printers. HP printers do work fine with it. All you really need to do is plug the printer into the base station and read the base station manual for any configurations needed.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

PLin
Aug 7, 2004, 04:25 PM

I stand corrected. I'm really surprised that it works. After struggling with so many brands of USB print servers, a phone call to HP confirmed that you had to buy an HP external JetDirect to print from a Mac over the network using the native drivers. PC's seem to work fine with any print server.

I had to install open source drivers to print from a Mac to my HP DeskJet 5150 that is attached to a USB print server. However, I just tried attaching it to my Airport Express, and I can now select the native drivers.

Peter
BT Boutique - For All of Your Bluetooth Wireless Technology Needs
www.btboutique.com
Technohappymeal
www.technohappymeal.com
( Last edited by PLin; Aug 7, 2004 at 05:46 PM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2004, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by Back up 15 and punt:
I own the HP 5650 and it's output is except-able.
Is that good or bad?

(I'm trying to work out whether the bizarre construction is a pun or not)

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2004, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Is that good or bad?

(I'm trying to work out whether the bizarre construction is a pun or not)
The text output is as good as any you will find. But Canon does a better job at printing photo's and is the cheapest printer to use. The Canon i860 cost about 2.7 cents per page of text and a 8.5 X 11 photo will probably be about 80 to 90 cents. Of course when it comes to printing photo's it will depend on the cost of the paper you use.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2004, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by Back up 15 and punt:
The text output is as good as any you will find. But Canon does a better job at printing photo's and is the cheapest printer to use. The Canon i860 cost about 2.7 cents per page of text and a 8.5 X 11 photo will probably be about 80 to 90 cents. Of course when it comes to printing photo's it will depend on the cost of the paper you use.
I see, thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules