Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Anyone using bluetooth adapters other than dlink?

Anyone using bluetooth adapters other than dlink?
LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 29, 2003, 07:19 PM

Just ordered a T68i (so psyched), and of course I need a blue tooth adapter for my G4 now. Do I need to buy the Apple Store Dlink? or is any USB adapter ok?

I saw one on amazon or buy.com that was not dlink, and someone claimed it worked with his mac.

Also, does it need to be in the mac (or the keyboard) or can you plug it into a hub???

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

geekwagon
Senior User
Mar 30, 2003, 04:21 AM

It seems like pretty much all the USB dongles work (they are probably all the same internally.) I am using a couple of Belkins that I got at CompUSA and they work fine plugged into the keyboard or into a hub.

Yoda's Erotic Piggyback
Banned
Mar 30, 2003, 04:42 AM

I heard the Sony one is da bomb.

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Mar 31, 2003, 07:55 AM

Originally posted by LeeG:
Do I need to buy the Apple Store Dlink? or is any USB adapter ok?
No, in fact any USB adapter would work (as far as I understand). I used a "Mitsumi" Made in Japan one with no problem!

D-link had another USB adapter model which is not the one Apple promotes, and I emailed D-link and ask what are the differences between the two models. They said the only difference is their other model does support both PC and Mac.

Therefore, there's no need to buy the expensive D-link model from the Apple store.

Originally posted by LeeG:

Also, does it need to be in the mac (or the keyboard) or can you plug it into a hub???

Lee
I think you can plug it into the hub without problem, as long as other peripherals in your hub doesn't eat up all the bandwidth, and your hub have enough power to power everything on the hub.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2003, 12:00 PM

Any adapter will work, I use a cheap one. Looks nicer than the DLink one and it was half the price
we don't have time to stop for gas

Paco500
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2003, 03:05 PM

Another user of the Belkin here. It was cheap, but it's huge. Plugged into a hub.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2004, 07:33 AM

Will the Linksys USBBT100 work? This one is interesting, since the people at Popular mechanics have published instructions to super boost it.

PLin
Oct 24, 2004, 07:02 PM

The majority of the USB Bluetooth Adapters out on the market are based on either the Cambridge Silicon Radio (CSR) or Broadcom chipsets. The first few revisions of the D-Link adapter were Broadcom based, while the newer revisions are CSR based.

That said, USB Adapters using these chipsets should work with OS X. The following link will bring you to a list of Linux compatible adapters, but is handy for all users, because it reveals the chipset for many adapters: http://www.holtmann.org/linux/bluetooth/devices.html

mbryda
Senior User
Oct 25, 2004, 11:00 AM

I use an Ambicom here with my iMac and the T637 and Tungsten T. Works like a charm!

LeeG  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2004, 05:17 PM

Wow, way to resurrect!

For anyone who cares, I was using a belkin dongle, plugged into the keyboard and it worked great.

Now I use my seimens s56 with the built-in BT on my 12"-

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by Peter:
Any adapter will work, I use a cheap one. Looks nicer than the DLink one and it was half the price
This isn't entirely true. The first 3rd party USB bluetooth dongle I bought wouldn't work with OS X. Worked fine (well, it worked anyway!) in windoze but OS X refused to recognise the broadcomm chipset in it. I then bought another random 3rd party dongle which uses the "standard" CSR (Cambridge Silicon Radio) chipset and it works beautifully.

One thing to note though, if you get the DLink one, you'll be able to use a bluetooth headset with your Mac as headphone/microphone. My 3rd party dongle doesn't support it.
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

Rickster
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 03:57 PM

I use the Belkin "Bluetooth USB Adapter, 100 meter" (F8T001) on the iMac at home... I've successfully used it for OBEX, Address Book, and Salling Clicker with both a SE T616 and a Nokia 6600. It's great being able to control iTunes on the computer in the den (which plays through the stereo in the living room) from almost anywhere in the house.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

Forum Links
Forum Rules