Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Mobile optimized version of the forums?

Mobile optimized version of the forums? (Page 2)
- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2008, 09:15 PM

I presume you didn't do the redesign for free…

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 26, 2008, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Tooki, you still have weight here, use it!
Did you just call me fat?

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Sep 26, 2008, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
I presume you didn't do the redesign for free…
Of course not, but that's not the point here.

The point is that so far about a dozen people have inquired about this feature (*) ... I have no access to the server logs, but the question for MacNN is, or rather it should be, after taking a close look at the logs whether or not the current number of Mobile Safari users justifies the investment required to make the site fully iPhone compatible.

It's a simple calculation really ... how much does it cost per <timeinterval> to run the site for X users, what's the <timeinterval> ad revenue generated from those X users? Then, what's the current number of Mobile Safari users, how did it develop since the iPhone was released and what's the amount of $$$ needed to implement said mobile version.

Only then can you make an informed decision.

(* - Count me in with those who'd like to see an iPhone version, but I'd rather wait another year for a properly designed solution than have some hacked together sh!t next week that'll do little more than make my eyes bleed.)

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2008, 11:48 PM

I don't bother going here on my iPhone BECAUSE there's no iPhone version, so I doubt those numbers reflect people who WOULD use it if it were available.

Rumor  (op)
Sep 27, 2008, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
Did you just call me fat?
No, not at all.

Pleasurably plump.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2008, 03:53 AM

I don't bother going here on my iPhone BECAUSE there's no iPhone version, so I doubt those numbers reflect people who WOULD use it if it were available.
I have to second this. I understand the point effgee's making and I agree with him. But I think it's important to point out that probably several iPhone owners (like myself) simply don't visit this board through Mobile Safari because there's no mobile version of the site. I know however, that if there would be a decent mobile implementation I'd use it. Also from a business POV I think a mobile version for iPhone is actually very attractive. Mobile Safari displays non-Flash ads. Most FF and Safari users block some or all of them. If anything, iPhone access will increase banner views.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Sep 29, 2008, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
... But I think it's important to point out that probably several iPhone owners (like myself) simply don't visit this board through Mobile Safari because there's no mobile version of the site. ...
Misunderstanding (I didn't express my point properly, 'pologies).

My "calculation" above was meant to see whether or not there was a noticeable trend in iPhone traffic - i.e., a significant uptick in Mobile Safari visits over the last X months that would justify the expense for the development of a dedicated mobile version.

It goes without saying (well, it did for me - that's why I failed to mention it explicitly) that you can't calculate reliable absolutes without having a mobile version.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2008, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by effgee View Post
My "calculation" above was meant to see whether or not there was a noticeable trend in iPhone traffic - i.e., a significant uptick in Mobile Safari visits over the last X months that would justify the expense for the development of a dedicated mobile version.
But that's exactly my point. Looking at the raw numbers you might get the impression nobody really come here with an iPhone. But that doesn't mean a whole lot. Because many people (like myself) might simply not come here with an iPhone because the site isn't so nice on Mobile Safari. For all we know there could be loads of iPhone traffic once there's a mobile version of the site available to iPhone owners.

I think it would be more meaningful to do a survey among forum regulars asking three things:
- do you have an iPhone?
- do you visit this board regularly with your iPhone?
- if not, would you do so if there were a mobile version of the site?

If nobody says yes to question 3, it's not worth it. My guess is though that most people answering yes to question 1 will say no/yes to the next two. And that's lost ad revenue right there.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Sep 29, 2008, 01:00 PM

Rrrr ... looks like I'm really no good at this explanation thingie

Example:
Everyone who's got an iPhone and who frequents this forum will use Mobile Safari at least once to stop by, or several times until he/she thinks it's not worth the hassle.

To spot a trend, and as an indicator for the (hopefully) increasing Mobile Safari traffic, one could look at the server logs and jot down the number of visits from unique IP addresses (≠ page views!!). Then you transfer those numbers to a simple graph (where X=time and Y=number of visits) and take a peek at the curve ... steep upward curve = warrants further investigation.

And finally, you compare the absolute number of Mobile Safari visits to the total number of visitors and see whether it's in line with MS's overall market share.

All of this can be done in a single afternoon ... no need (just yet) for more labor-intensive measures.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2008, 08:04 PM

I'm with Simon on this one. A survey would be more accurate and less labour intensive.

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2008, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Moonray View Post
That might probably become an interesting discussion in the feedback forum. The vBulletin Software should offer a mobile apperance like for example Google does.

-

is there a mobile version of google groups?

reader50
Administrator
Sep 30, 2008, 03:10 PM

That seems reasonable. But if so, some sort of transparency on why it is taking so long and if it's even in progress would be good.
To my knowledge, no one has been working on it.

A couple of weeks ago, in response to an internal staff question on the issue, I happened to mention that I knew how to implement a mobile version. ie - upload style, hack forum global file to allow/require styleswitch for mobile visitors, tweak style templates as needed to fix any garish color schemes.

It seems my informative post amounted to volunteering, and another Mod who is an iPhone enthusiast, immediately got me permission to do the hack from higher-ups.

Trouble is, after fixing a bunch of nits that had long bugged me a couple months back, I haven't felt like doing a lot of hacking. So I guess you can blame me for lack of action on a project I made the mistake of talking about.

It would actually be easy if we don't tweak a mobile style to look nice. That's the most time-consuming part. I'll presently dig into it further - at least see if any of the existing mobile styles are tolerable.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 30, 2008, 03:28 PM

Sweet. I'm sure plenty of us here would volunteer to beta test anything you'd like to try.

Forum Links
Forum Rules