Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone Mail, Mac Pro Mail, Google Mail

iPhone Mail, Mac Pro Mail, Google Mail
Matthew Attoe
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2009, 06:13 PM

Hi,

I'm having an issue with my mail set-up on my Mac Pro and Phone.

I have a POP mail account with my UK ISP - Virgin Media. This all seems to be working perfectly. If my Mac gets the email message first then it also lets my iPhone get the same message when it checks and vice versa. So this is all good. I set this account up on my iPhone using the Other option.

However, with my 2 google POP mail accounts things seem to be working differently. The same behaviour is happening on both google mail accounts so I'm hoping it is a configuration issue. I also set these accounts up on the iPhone using Other as this seemed to be the only way I could specify that it was a POP account.

Basically, if my iPhone gets the google mail messages first my Mac Pro can't then get them and if my Mac Pro gets the messages first then my iPhone can't get them.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I may have done wrong or configured incorrectly?

Many thanks,

Matthew
Early 2008 Mac Pro (8 x 2.8), original Core Duo 2.0GHz MacBook Pro

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2009, 05:31 AM

Are both sides set up to leave a copy on the server? If they're not, then once your iPhone downloads a message, it's removing it from the sever, then that may be causing the Mac Pro to not be able to see that there's a new message there to be downloaded, as it would have been removed from the server.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Matthew Attoe  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2009, 05:58 AM

Hi,

I think I may have found the answer, but can't say for certain until I check with my Mac at home tonight.

It would appear that Google POP accounts "ignore" the "leave message on server" setting so the messages are getting deleted/aren't new anyway.

To get around this Googlemail has a Recent Mode which does allow messages to be left on the server for other devices. To use the Recent Mode you have to put recent: in front of your email address in your POP client:

recent:[email protected] for example (this is a bit tricky as iPhone won't allow you to type a : in an email address field so I had to type a : in my name field then cut and paste it into the relevant position.

Hopefully, this will work - fingers crossed for when I get home

Cheers,

Matthew

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2009, 06:07 AM

Is there any reason why you don't just switch the google accounts to IMAP?

That would completely do away with the problem.

Matthew Attoe  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2009, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Is there any reason why you don't just switch the google accounts to IMAP?

That would completely do away with the problem.
No, not really. I just like to follow the path of least resistance

I'll look into the imap thing though as it looks quite interesting from what I can understand. Does it just "sort of" mirror the webmail account? Any other hints or tips for imap setup?

Cheers,

Matthew

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2009, 06:49 AM

IMAP is the path of least maintenance.

It's not just a "sort of" mirror: IMAP accounts are synchronized across all devices that have the account set up. Anything you delete on one machine is automatically deleted on the others.

If you set up folders on-line, anything moved there on one box is moved there on the others, as well.

Matthew Attoe  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2009, 07:51 AM

Top man, Spheric!

I'll deffo give it a look over the weekend.

Thanks,

Matthew

Forum Links
Forum Rules