Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > $1000 refurb MBP or $1300 refurb MBP?

$1000 refurb MBP or $1300 refurb MBP?
Thread Tools
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Tampa, Florida
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 3, 2010, 10:25 PM
 
Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (U.S.)
versus
Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (U.S.)

Given the cheapness of 250GB and 4GB (I don't know exactly what deals are out there), is the $300 difference between both 13.3" MBPs worth the extra 270MHz?

If MHz grew linearly with cost, the extra $300 should net me an extra 678MHz, but the $$$ difference also pays for the RAM and HDD.

$1000 -> 2.26GHz means I would want to pay $1120 for 2.53GHz of the same other specs
$1300 - $1120 = $180 <- is this worth going up from 2GB to 4GB, and from 160GB to 250GB?

I find that in 2010, 250GB is insufficient for my needs, as I will most likely tri-boot Linux, Windows and OSX, and probably have a few virtual machines. I would want 500GB at least. I am not even going to look at the Apple Store for extra hard-drive, so I will definitely go third party with my HDD upgrade.

On the other hand, 4GB RAM is really sufficient in my experience. Is it very worthy to get Apple RAM to get it serviced as soon as it break down?

Or should I save the $300 and use it on third party upgrades? I've heard many times that performance doesn't grow linearly with GHz, so the 12% extra GHz won't really amount to 12% extra performance. Therefore, not worth coveting.

Or should I [tortuosly] wait until the MBP is updated, and get the base model?
     
Cold Warrior
Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Polwaristan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 3, 2010, 10:54 PM
 
RAM and HDD are the bottlenecks. Upgrade to at least 4 GB (although things run quite well at 2 GB for basic apps) and 320+ GB. I have a 500 GB drive I installed myself. Very easy.
     
Simon
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: in front of my Mac
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 4, 2010, 02:13 AM
 
If you're going to have to upgrade to a 500GB third-party disk anyway, the extra $180 is actually only buying you +2GB RAM. You can easily get that for less from a third party. So from that POV you should definitely get the cheaper model.

There's one argument to be made for the 2.53 GHz model though. The CPU and clock is one of those things you will never be able to upgrade. What you get now is what you'll have for as long as you have this MBP. If you want to make sure it lasts for as long as possible, you should pay the extra $180 and get the 2.53 GHz model.

But right now if you can wait you should. Now that the GodPad has launched there's really no reason for Apple to hold back anymore on the MBP upgrades. They've been due for about two months now.
     
macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Edmonton, AB
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 8, 2010, 12:04 AM
 
Its a worthwhile $300, unless you are going to upgrade the HD anyway.
     
wrambro
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 9, 2010, 10:46 AM
 
Since you have plans to upgrade the hard drive regardless of which model you buy, I would go with the cheaper one. RAM is cheap.
     
The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Tampa, Florida
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 9, 2010, 08:22 PM
 
Today, all 2.26GHz 13" MBPs are out of stock in the Refurbished Apple Store.

I am holding out for the next 13" revision.
     
macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Edmonton, AB
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 9, 2010, 11:43 PM
 
They could be back up in a day for all we know though, the refurb store is strange like that. I guess its because stock is more limited when it comes to refurb models.
     
SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Truckee, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 10, 2010, 01:41 AM
 
With new MBPs imminent (days maybe) I would wait to check out new offerings, especially since SSDs may be available, possibly more RAM possible, etc. RAM benefits for many apps are HUGE and will become even more relevant during the life cycle of any new box.
     
Simon
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: in front of my Mac
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 10, 2010, 02:25 AM
 
International refurb stores still have the 2.26 GHz model. Refurb stock varies greatly. The US store will probably get replenished soon. Even if the update arrives on Tuesday, chances are you'll still be able to get 2.26 GHz refurbs for quite a while after that. Bottom line, IMHO the refurb store is a bad way to gauge if an update is around the corner.
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:50 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,