Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Express not seen after factory reset

Airport Express not seen after factory reset
peter myson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2010, 05:42 PM

Hi

I have a wireless network in our house that has worked fairly well for 10 months. The network comprises an Airport extreme with two airport expresses for streaming music. Recently for reasons of anal behaviour I changed the name of one of the AE's. Since then it has become increasingly erratic and now just sits there flashing amber. I felt the name change had something to do with upsetting the **** thing and this afternoon did a hard reset to factory default. This has resulted in the "AirPort Utility was unable to find your AirPort wireless device after restarting" error message. Internet searching has pointed me down the road of checking the security settings and I have now tried all four of the available security options available with no success. My airport utility has no problem seeing the AE after the reset but will not find it after configuration. I have checked the settings of my two other AEs both of which work fine and copied them exactly trying a manual set-up. No joy. Can anyone help? Please

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2010, 01:10 PM

How exact was your copy? Does your third AE have the same IP address as one of your other AEs?

Not much help, but that's all I got.

Cold Warrior
Dec 24, 2010, 01:28 PM

connect to it via ethernet, then factory reset and attempt to configure from scratch without copying any settings.

wrambro
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2011, 11:24 PM

This might be a dumb question, but did you try changing the wireless network you are connected to? The hard reset will cause the Airport to create it's own network, so if you remain connected to your current network, you might now find it.

Edit: nevermind, missed the part about not finding it after configuration. Are you configuring it manually? I've had this problem before when I've configured manually, but not when using the wizard.

Forum Links
Forum Rules