Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 7200 RPM on iBook

7200 RPM on iBook
zign
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2005, 04:06 PM

I was thinking of upgrading HD on my 12" iBook (1.2 Ghz, 1.25GB Ram, 30GB HD). The question is however - Can I upgrade to a 7200 rpm HD or not? If yes, would I notice a speed increase?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 28, 2005, 04:48 PM

There's nothing about a hard drive's rotational speed that would keep you from installing it in ANY computer. However, considering how many darn tiny screws are involved in getting at the drive in a G4 iBook, you may want to reconsider...

Anyway, yes, you CAN put a faster hard drive in your iBook, and you may actually see programs that hit the disk a lot speed up noticably. You probably will notice when the computer shifts data back and forth from the drive to RAM, as in when you switch from one running program to another. This should be noticably faster.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

cleanup
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2005, 08:08 PM

Wouldn't the iBook get a lot hotter?
iMac 17"/1.8 GHz/1.5 GB RAM/160 GB HD/SD/BT/AP/10.4.1 Tiger
iPod nano White/4 GB

cleanup.tk | cleanup.devart

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Aug 28, 2005, 08:14 PM

..and the battery would likely drain a good bit faster.

cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2005, 08:20 PM

Yep, no free lunch. A trade of speed for battery life.

Chris

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2005, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by cleanup
Wouldn't the iBook get a lot hotter?
Not really. It's not like a faster CPU.

cleanup
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2005, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
Not really. It's not like a faster CPU.
Spinning drives, especially fast spinning drives, generate heat. Just ask my iMac's fans.
iMac 17"/1.8 GHz/1.5 GB RAM/160 GB HD/SD/BT/AP/10.4.1 Tiger
iPod nano White/4 GB

cleanup.tk | cleanup.devart

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 29, 2005, 11:01 AM

That is not entirely correct.

For example, a 7200RPM desktop drive from today generates the same or less heat than a 5400RPM drive from 5 years ago.

In notebook drive design, they know that heat and power are big concerns, so 7200RPM notebook drives do not heat up more or draw much more power.

tooki

anothergene
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2005, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by zign
I was thinking of upgrading HD on my 12" iBook (1.2 Ghz, 1.25GB Ram, 30GB HD). The question is however - Can I upgrade to a 7200 rpm HD or not? If yes, would I notice a speed increase?
I just did the upgrade in question to my 800MHz 12"ibook. Put in a Hitachi 7k60. Doesn't feel any hotter to the palms resting on the case. Fan doesn't come on any more often then it did before. I havn't really run it on batteries yet to see how much quicker the bateries die.

WAY faster. boots to the log in screen in about 30seconds from power on. Login is lickity-split, even with file-vault on. Safari launches in 2 bounces.

One piece of advice. Track down one of the Apple service manuals on the net. I would not have wanted to attempt this with out it as it is a royal pain to take apart. Also keep very close track of what screws come from where as there are about 3 different lenghts. Give your selfe at least 3 hours too.

Good luck.

zign  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2005, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by anothergene
I just did the upgrade in question to my 800MHz 12"ibook. Put in a Hitachi 7k60. Doesn't feel any hotter to the palms resting on the case. Fan doesn't come on any more often then it did before. I havn't really run it on batteries yet to see how much quicker the bateries die.

WAY faster. boots to the log in screen in about 30seconds from power on. Login is lickity-split, even with file-vault on. Safari launches in 2 bounces.

One piece of advice. Track down one of the Apple service manuals on the net. I would not have wanted to attempt this with out it as it is a royal pain to take apart. Also keep very close track of what screws come from where as there are about 3 different lenghts. Give your selfe at least 3 hours too.

Good luck.
Thanks! Tell me about the battery life when you test it I really want to max out my ibook and with 7200rpm there would be nothing else to update

Forum Links
Forum Rules