Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook Hard Drive Recommendation -- Samsung any good?

Powerbook Hard Drive Recommendation -- Samsung any good?
OmniX
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2005, 01:19 PM

I am considering purchasing an 80GB 2.5" Samsung drive for my TiBook -- with 3yr warranty, for $105 from TigerDriect. Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter, or specifically know of any reason why _not_ to get this drive, from this company? Is Samsung a reputable source, when it comes to notebook drives?

btw, here are the specs:
SAMSUNG MP0804H 2.5" NB HDD 80GB Ultra ATA100 5400RPM 12ms 8MB BUFFER ATA-7 INTERFACE

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=1209453

thanks,
ox

ps: apologies that this tread is rather similar to a few others already in these fora; i am however looking for rather specific information, and would appreciate any help.

hmccorkle
Aug 30, 2005, 03:19 PM

I don't remember the last time I was able to replace a hard drive in any Apple laptops.
elitesouth.com
fine web design for business and individuals

Dakkon
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2005, 07:29 AM

replacing the hard drive is pretty easy... samsung is good. i say go for it. and dont look back.

http://www.pbfixit.com/cart/customer/home.php

step by step guide incase you need a bit of help in replacing your HD.

I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
Aug 31, 2005, 07:55 AM

I have bought a 3.5 inch Samsung drive (2 years ago) and use it as an external. Although samsung had no reputation concerning harddrives that I was aware of, I am astonished about the performance and the extremely low noise level of my drive.

This might not be true for 2.5 inch drives. I recommend to find a real test in a serious computer magazine. Then you can compare exactly.

mad cow disease
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2005, 08:32 AM

Seagate > *

5-year warranty on their drives, dead silent. Samsung is a newcomer to the hard drive market.

mad cow disease
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2005, 08:34 AM

Oh - I would also recommend

StorageReview.com

bighead
Senior User
Aug 31, 2005, 11:13 AM

Like the poster formerly known as David B., I purchased some Samsung desktop drives about 3 years ago. I got (3) of their 120GB 5400 RPM drives, back when they were a sweet deal at $135. I used them in a PM9500 for a year, and they were awesome. I moved two of them to a Dual 500 G4 tower for another year, and they just purred, both instances in a RAID1 configuration. Not speed demons, but really quiet and They Just Worked®.

If their laptop drives are like their desktop drives, they will be a good, cheap, reliable drive. I say go for it.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

Forum Links
Forum Rules