Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Glossy screen - what's the real benefit?

Glossy screen - what's the real benefit? (Page 2)
Horsepoo!!!
Banned
May 17, 2006, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by robby818
Fingerprints and smudges really stand out on the glossy screens i have seen. fingerprints leave kind of a purple colored oilly mark that is very noticable. Matte screens tend to hide smudges.
You shouldn't be touching the screen in the first place...no one should. It's a blessing that the smudges show better on the glossy screens. This allows you to see them and wipe them before they cake like they do on matte surfaces.

skalie
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 10:26 AM

For development work I'm going to use an external TFT screen, so not a deal breaker for me.

More upset that I don't like the number 13.

Dr.Michael
May 17, 2006, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!!
You shouldn't be touching the screen in the first place...no one should. It's a blessing that the smudges show better on the glossy screens. This allows you to see them and wipe them before they cake like they do on matte surfaces.
Good idea. The more you wipe the more scratches you get on a glossy screen. Matte screens on the other hand can take a beating. You can wipe and clean them without any fear of scratches.

Working with glossy screens on sonys and hps and asking collegues, who also own notebooks with this kind of screen, brought me to the conclusion that glossy screens are unacceptable for day to day work, except if they have a anti reflective coating (like glasses).

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
May 17, 2006, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.Michael
Good idea. The more you wipe the more scratches you get on a glossy screen. Matte screens on the other hand can take a beating. You can wipe and clean them without any fear of scratches.
Unlike you, I don't use steel wool to wipe my screen. Heck...I never need to wipe the screen since I don't touch my screen.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 17, 2006, 12:27 PM

Yeah, actually, I find wiping a glossy screen much easier than wiping a matte screen.

I wonder if the keyboard change removes the problem of keyboard imprints on-screen. That was an annoying problem on the iBooks. I use to stick a sheet of paper there to prevent it. Worked well, but it was annoying to have to do that.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2006, 12:47 PM

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Tarcat
Forum Regular
May 18, 2006, 01:22 AM

The benifit is that the screen looks amazing. Glare might be worse but in most situations it is a better picture. I haven't seen it on a MacBook but have seen it on some Wintels. I like them.

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2006, 01:34 AM

the next macbook is going to be bright yellow with a giant Spongebob on the lid and cost $1700.

and: it will have a matte screen.

you have five seconds to decide
four
three
two

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 02:14 AM

Overall, I'm happy with the decision. I haven't seen the MB yet (going on Saturday to test drive one), but I've played with glossy screens before. Yes, they reflect more. Yes, they show fingerprints better than matte. Yes, they are more fragile. But in all reality, the glare won't be an issue while the screen is on. These photos posted throughout the board are highly misleading: glare is nowhere near that bad in person. Still noticeable in certain circumstances, but not terrible by any stretch of the imagination. As for the prints... well, you shouldn't be touching your screen anyway. And when some moron friend pokes the screen, you should clean it ASAP anyway. The noticeable-ness simply is a reminder to go get a rag to wipe it off.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Tarcat
Forum Regular
May 18, 2006, 03:28 PM

I agree that the photos are very misleading. I went to the store to take a look. Was glare worse? Yes. No question about that. But the screen overrall is much nicer looking to me than the old ones. Much brighter. Much nicer and more natural looking colors. Photos looked amazing displayed on it, even with the glare from the bright lights. The computer was next to a 12 inch iBook and a 15 inch Mac Book Pro. Seeing the three side by side made it clear that the picture on the 13 inch screen was much nicer than on the other two. I think the vast majority of the whiners on here haven't seen one in person yet.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 11:41 PM

I had never heard of a "Glossy" LCD screen before the MacBook. At my job we sold a LCD TV that was different than all the others we sold in that the screen was shiny. It was horrible to look at because of the reflectiveness. I just figured Magnavox forgot to put the Matte covering over the screen. But now I'm thinking it was intentional... and I'm wondering why? It picked up glare terribly! What did Matte ever do to LCD makers to make them want to replace it?

Apple seems to be proud of it though.

Hope it doesn't make its way to the iMacs. When I get mine sometime this year, I want the normal screen.

I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2006, 03:02 PM

I was on Millenia mall at orlando Fl, yesterday.... and let me tell you... side by side the macbook looks better than the MBP, and the glossy screen looks fantastic! I don't ever care if it very weird sometimes to look at it, I want it now, I'm sick just to think it's not mine, and I'm gonna get it as soon as I can.. I WANT A BRAND NEW MB BLACK!!!! AAAAAAAHHHHHHH
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

Star-Fire
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2006, 03:15 PM

I have to chime in here too, the screen on the MacBook is excellent! It's looks very sharp and rich, blacks are very black, the glare isn't all that bad, most every picture you see here is taken just to show the glare, but how many people look at there screen from a 100º angle?
MacBook Pro 2.5 with 4 GB Ram, 250 GB 5400RPM, iMac 20" Intel Dual Core 2.0 with 2 GB Ram
http://star-fire.deviantart.com/gallery/

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 21, 2006, 06:00 PM

I was in the store today checking out the MacBook.

Glossy really does suck.

The screen did have better contrast than the 12" iBook screen, but the viewing angle was just as bad, and the glossy screen was extremely irritating with the bright overhead lighting in that store. It was difficult to find an angle that didn't show prominent glare.

All in all, I think the screen is a definite step down, resolution and aspect ratio notwithstanding.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
May 21, 2006, 06:43 PM

Is there any after-market solution to make the screen matte? I've always found LCD to be plenty bright enough without the extra shininess, hell I even invert my screen colours when I write a lot because it's better on the eyes.

I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2006, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Star-Fire
I have to chime in here too, the screen on the MacBook is excellent! It's looks very sharp and rich, blacks are very black, the glare isn't all that bad, most every picture you see here is taken just to show the glare, but how many people look at there screen from a 100º angle?
yeah man, it looks fantastic! I was reading every post here before going and let me tell you I was brain-washed with all the negativity posts in here, but then, inside Apple Store they was showing a brand new app called live scratch or something, and it was full of people, I was desperate to see one MB Black, so when I saw it! WOW... forget about the glare or the glossy screen it's not that bad! I was in love with it! juat like that!
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
May 21, 2006, 08:22 PM

I must say, i love this screen. Especially put into the sun...

You can click for a larger picture..

iBook:

MacBook

Complain all you want, but i'm more than happy with the screen, and the glossy actually reflects the light.

Tarcat
Forum Regular
May 21, 2006, 08:50 PM

"Hope it doesn't make its way to the iMacs. When I get mine sometime this year, I want the normal screen.
"

I'm sure it will at least as an option. The majority of people who see it will prefer it. If you go down to the store you'll be impressed. It blows away the screens of the MacBook Pros and Powerbooks they have next to it.

Tarcat
Forum Regular
May 21, 2006, 08:56 PM

"Hope it doesn't make its way to the iMacs. When I get mine sometime this year, I want the normal screen.
"

I'm sure it will at least as an option. The majority of people who see it will prefer it. If you go down to the store you'll be impressed. It blows away the screens of the MacBook Pros and Powerbooks they have next to it. Apple isn't stupid. I'm sure they did a lot of consumer research before switching to a different screen technology.

jere_69
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2006, 09:05 PM

I have a glossy display on my Compaq laptop and yes it does show fingerprints when the screen is off, but I keep it clean most of the time so it's not an issue. prefer the glossy displays and it was one of the reasons why I bought the Compaq. Too bad I'm selling it to get the Macbook.

cornwallstone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2006, 09:27 PM

Glossy is fine on photographs and desktop monitors displayed in environments where you can control the lighting. Putting it on a notebook, designed to travel to places where you can't, is about the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 02:05 AM

I'll take a look at it for myself on the 30th when I go to visit the Computer Forum's new location.

I haven't seen a computer screen with gloss in person yet. Just a TV. And I didn't like the lights glaring off it. But I'll see what a computer looks like when I go.

Ham Sandwich
May 22, 2006, 06:24 AM

Due to my 'ol Powerbook G4 1Ghz "blowing up" the other day and needing a cheap replacement laptop as quickly as possible, I had to buy one - even though I've been deadset against the glossy screen since the start.

In actual usage, I really started to forget to notice that it was shiny. And, bringing it into the office today I've noticed that the MacBook gloss is less glossy than what I'm used to seeing (an HP lappy).

I've gotta say, I love the performance of this MacBook. I can't believe how fast it's running Ableton Live - unreal.

fesdds
May 22, 2006, 08:49 AM

I bought 2 macbooks for my office, and I was a little worried how the screen would do with all the flourescent lights. Actually the screen looks great in the lighting and I would say way better viewing than the iBook in every way.

amazing
Professional Poster
May 22, 2006, 10:27 AM

I was in an Apple Store and a CompUSA yesterday, and like Eug says, the glossy screen is seriously bad. 2 different lighting environments, bad reflections in both cases.

Even looking at the screen full on, if there's a light source or white wall behind you, then it's gonna show. You'll see your silhouette or glare, you'll be constantly reorienting the laptop to eliminate the glare, side to side, or pushing the screen up and down. When the screen is pointing slightly down to eliminate a glare at the top, you see the reflection of the keyboard.

Serious amount of eye fatigue and eye strain. Very debilitating over long periods of time.

MB is no longer in my future, until there's the choice of matte screen. I can put up with the heat (most MB were hotter than the MBP nearby) but not the glossy screen.

MB has good price point and good feature set (easy access to HD, great wireless range, sturdy, no latch, choice of black, etc) but the glare is a deal-breaker for me.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 10:31 AM

I have a sony vaio laptop with an Onyx screen (now called XBRITE), and although I d prefer the normal matte finish, I can easily use the glossy with no problems. I find even in sunlight or harsh light, I can still easily read the screen because it is so bright and has such good contrast
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules