Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > who's upgrading?

View Poll Results: Who's Upgrading?
Poll Options:
Nope 21 votes (84.00%)
Yep 4 votes (16.00%)
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll
who's upgrading?
Thread Tools
kobetsang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Nov 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 10, 2006, 01:02 PM
 
I currently have a blackbook and deciding whether or not it's worth it to upgrade to the Core 2. Wondering if it will run Leopard better?
     
SLiMeX
Senior User
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Darien, IL
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 10, 2006, 02:39 PM
 
I dont think it will matter much, as long as you have an Intel-chipped Apple, you'll be ready to rock and roll for Leopard.
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive
     
macdevil
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 10, 2006, 03:48 PM
 
Although I tempted to get completely on the Intel-Mac wagon, I think I will wait for the so spring and an included OS update... Hopefully my tiBook that long and then the decison will be 13 blackbook or 15 mbp.
Tibook 800dvi 40gig, 1 gig RAM
iMac 24" 2.16 C2d, 250G, 1gig RAM
     
xsphat
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jul 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 10, 2006, 05:04 PM
 
I am going to keep my MacBook for now, but next springs term I may buy an MBP. I have a 1.83 MacBook, 2 gigs of RAM, 60 gig HD. I have a second monitor and 200 gig HD at my desk. I am happy with what I have for now.
     
kobetsang  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Nov 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 13, 2006, 12:58 PM
 
hmmm.. so it seems like most are staying put eh? Will the new chip not make much difference?
     
masugu
Senior User
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Bay Area
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 13, 2006, 02:16 PM
 
Originally Posted by kobetsang View Post
hmmm.. so it seems like most are staying put eh? Will the new chip not make much difference?
IMHO - not enough at this writing. Cannot see anything worthy of changing for at least a year. I predict a pretty significant re-design of the MacBook Pro. Perhaps a smaller one in burnished / gun-blue/black, with Blue-Ray! I would sell my Core Duo BlacBook for THAT!
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |
     
Tuoder
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Here
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 13, 2006, 03:05 PM
 
It ain't worth the cash to do the upgrade. If you put the money into RAM, you will have better return on your cash.
     
frdmfghtr
Senior User
Join Date: Nov 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 14, 2006, 03:58 PM
 
I can't decide if an upgrade is worth it...my 1.33 GHz 12" iBook G4 is just over a year old, and does everything I need it to do quite competently. The few Windows apps I need run acceptably under Virtual PC, so dual-boot capability isn't really necessary. I get 5 hours of good use out of my battery-recall replacement and have a second one sitting in refrigerator stasis. I also just upgraded the HD to a 5400 80 GB unit, and took 512 MB out of my old HP laptop to bring the iBook to 1 GB of RAM.

Now, I do like the MacBook/MBP form factor (that SOB looks THIN!!) and the capability to dual boot, but they really aren't deal-makers. Perhaps next summer I'll change my mind and upgrade, but right now I can't justify it. Maybe if I knew I could sell off my HP laptop and iBook to recover at least half the cost of a MacBook, that might put me over the edge.
     
derekjv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Nov 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 14, 2006, 05:00 PM
 
After 4 years (nearly), a full hard drive, and lack of RAM (256mb) I have decided to upgrade my 12" PB running 10.3.9 and get the new Macbook. Is anyone or has anyone made a similar upgrade recently? I would be curious to see what you think of the improvement, speaker quality, etc.
     
kobetsang  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Nov 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 15, 2006, 12:27 AM
 
i went from a powerbook 1.5 and the speed difference was very noticable. speaker quality is marginally worse.
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:21 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,