Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Arr I hate bums

Arr I hate bums (Page 2)
ghporter
Administrator
Nov 9, 2005, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Ratspittle
The new rage is "I'm from new orleans, and I lost everything" mind you these are the same people who have been on our streets for years. There is very little mashee turnover around here.
I would have a hard time putting up with that sort of scam. I used to spend as much time as possible in New Orleans (I lived in Biloxi for about 10 years), and I have run into REAL evacuees fairly recently. Anyone who really DID lose everything to Katrina has had a particular look to them; they look tired but like they're trying to keep up their hope. I've never seen a bum with any hope, which may be another part of why I don't give them anything...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2005, 09:53 AM

Most bums have one of the following (sometimes two):
A) drug addictions
B) mental disorders

I have little tolerance for A and a considerable amount of tolerance for B. I do not give handouts as a rule, but DO donate to my local food shelter.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2005, 06:56 AM

Wow I found this post on the Vancouver Prelude Club Forums and I was like "this explains so much so clear" and its so sad and so true I had to repost it here.

Originally posted by BlueLude
This is gonna be a long post so I apologize in advance. But it may be great food for thought for some.

The company I work for had a sales conference downtown two years ago and one of the evenings we had a team task of taking a stranger to dinner with us (we were divided into teams of 8) . Some teams just picked hotel staff or strangers within, a couple even going s far as to pick up hookers to take. We were one of two teams who went hunting for the needy. Myself and three of my team mates got our group to a restaurant in gas town and then went wandering. Surprisingly we were turned down by three people before getting one to say yes. The three were coming up with various excuses which lead you to come to a few conclusions of your own.
1. One said, "Thank you, but I'm on medication and can't eat much, can you just give me a few dollars?"
2. Another said no outright and said it was money or nothing.
3. Another said yes and on the way to the restaurant he started to get nervous. It looked like he was afraid of going into a nice restaurant. So he just started thinking of lame excuses and ended up bailing.

The last lady looked like a total junkie. Someone I would've probably turned down if she asked for change on any other day. She happened to be counting about 60 cents in her hand when she turned to me and asked for some change to get a bus ride home (shelter housing). My response was, "I'll give you the change you need to get home, but I have a better idea; how would you like to sit with a few friends of mine for a nice warm dinner?" She lit up an agreed immediately.
While walking there, I reached out and introduced myself and she said, "Oh, you don't want to shake my hand sir, I'm filthy. But nice to meet you, I'm Denise." I shook her hand anyways and so did the others but it left me wondering about what this woman thinks of society when she fears a hand shake.
We got to the restaurant and the manager was a total d*ck now because we brought a homeless person there. We sat, ate, laughed and had other people in the restaurant all staring in curiousity about our odd-looking guest. After dinner they asked us if she was indeed homeless and applauded us for our generosity.
Denise used to work for CN Rail. She was in their accounting department. A very nice and kind hearted woman who lost her musician husband years ago to sickness. One thing led to another and the very foundation she stood on was pulled from her like a rug. She said us taking her to dinner was the first time she had been in a restaurant in YEARS. And the best experience in life since an anniversary with her deceased husband. She brought every single one of us to tears when she said, "Please send me a picture of yourselves so I don't ever forget you. Today you've made me feel like it's the first day of the rest of my life."

She definitely helped me lessen my judgement of the people on the streets and I turn a blind eye towards them much less than I ever did before.
http://www.vancouverpreludeclub.com/...695#post226695

I also caculated some numbers. I've worked downtown for a year and a half, about 400 nights now since its full time. I smoke about 10 smokes a night and every time I get asked for money and a smoke. And I end up with about 2 ppl coming in every night asking for money as well. So I've been asked for 4000 smokes and 4800 times for money in the last year and a half and this isnt even including waiting at the bus stop, or any other places. No wonder im so sick of it. Over 4000 times :O But as that guy points out there are really some who are in need.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

chris_h
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2005, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Fonzie
why don't they all just jump of a bridge or something. grr.

bottom line. I hate them. there should be a zero tolerance policy for these kind of people. the same with drug addicts. and why not put smokers in there aswell
hey congratulations on being a terrible person

Forum Links
Forum Rules