Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple Operating Philosophy

Apple Operating Philosophy
Thread Tools
davinci707
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Nov 2010
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 10, 2010, 03:57 AM
 
Hey all!

I've been doing some thinking about Apple and the way they launch insanely great products. Steve Jobs really has a great system down. BUT lets say that we ignore all the technical capabilities, design teams, and everything else that apple has.

Here's my best guess. Was hoping that some of you could add to this list of Apple's Operating Philosophies.

I. They never lose sight of building their core competencies.

Apple has always allowed for rapid development of OSX, which Steve Jobs has alluded to multiple times as an important part of the business

2. They have always learnt lessons from previous launches.

See the new Macbook Air Ad: Apple - Mac

3. They never compromise on their vision

We all know this.

4. Focus on making profits

They delay features until they can make profits off of them, and then include them in the new launches. We know this, they underpower a lot of their laptops compared to windows counterparts.

5. Secrecy

Gotta keep things secret! Otherwise everyone else will be in a better competitive position

Anyone else have any other ideas?
     
Sealobo
Professional Poster
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: The Intertube
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 10, 2010, 06:01 AM
 
secretly fund and operate the cult.
     
osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Isle of Manhattan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 10, 2010, 08:12 AM
 
7) Enterprise Computing
Enterprise what?
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST
     
iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: San Diego
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 10, 2010, 09:47 PM
 
Phase 1: Collect underpants.

Phase 2:

Phase 3: Profit!
     
Salty
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 10, 2010, 10:09 PM
 
To be honest... not really. Anyone who remembers the early 2000s remembers all the effort they put into the pro sector which they're now basically giving up on. Not to mention at one point iLife was growing by a new app every year, this time iWeb didn't even get an update... and what was new about iPhoto... uh... you can make it take up the whole screen?

Also Apple DID a great Job with OS X, especially early on. Every new release they came out with feature after feature, in many cases revolutionary ones that shifted the paradigm of how you worked with your stuff. Now... well now the most recent one they're basically pushing Exposé 2.0 and the ability to buy stuff... to be honest now everything is focused on iOS, everyone's been wondering what would happen with OS X.11, my guess is OS X is gonna be phased out by then. Or iOS will be brought up to parity with OS X and they'll just be in general blended together.
     
Brien
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Southern California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 10, 2010, 10:27 PM
 
I am saddened by a seeming lack of interest in the Pro market (Shake, Xserve, Java, etc.), but I don't think the Mac is going anywhere.
     
Salty
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 10, 2010, 11:07 PM
 
The Mac as it is now will be replaced with the glorified iPhone dock. It'll have an Intel Processor, or maybe an ARM who knows, whatever is the fastest, and it'll be like carrying your home folder on your iPhone. But your iPhone will be the key to it all, the box will have a more powerful co-processor perhaps, and things like that, but give it a few years and the iPhone/iPod will be your central device. It won't be so much syncing your phone with your computer, but rather syncing your computer with your phone. The device that defines you will be the small pocketable device, the laptop, desktop, and all that will simply become glorified peripherals.
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 10, 2010, 11:43 PM
 
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
The Mac as it is now will be replaced with the glorified iPhone dock. It'll have an Intel Processor, or maybe an ARM who knows, whatever is the fastest, and it'll be like carrying your home folder on your iPhone. But your iPhone will be the key to it all, the box will have a more powerful co-processor perhaps, and things like that, but give it a few years and the iPhone/iPod will be your central device. It won't be so much syncing your phone with your computer, but rather syncing your computer with your phone. The device that defines you will be the small pocketable device, the laptop, desktop, and all that will simply become glorified peripherals.
I'll believe that after Apple lets the iPhone/iPad be iTunes-agnostic. While I can see what you are describing happening, we are a really long way away from that. But for many people right now, a smartphone is their central device.
     
Maflynn
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2010, 08:04 AM
 
Originally Posted by Brien View Post
I am saddened by a seeming lack of interest in the Pro market (Shake, Xserve, Java, etc.), but I don't think the Mac is going anywhere.
Apple is clearly focusing on the consumer segment at the clear detriment of other segments. Just look how often the MacPro is updated, and the pro apps just seem to whither on the vine.
~Mike
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2010, 09:22 AM
 
I really wish you'd stop claiming that.

Logic Studio 9 has had a slew of updates, including four within the past month or so.
     
Maflynn
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2010, 10:15 AM
 
Ok, so Logic Studio has seen some updates. Other Pro apps have not fared so well, and look at the MacPro almost 500 days between updates. I believe my point stands. Aperture, got a major update but after an extended period, and even now updates are barely trickling in.

Apple is definitely losing interest on the pro side of things, and focusing more on the consumer side.
~Mike
     
Eug
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Caught in a web of deceit.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2010, 10:39 AM
 
I'm starting to get this sinking feeling that Aperture was only built to light a fire under Adobe.

To that end, Apple succeeded, but otherwise Apple's interest in Aperture seems to have waned.
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2010, 10:46 AM
 
Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
Ok, so Logic Studio has seen some updates. Other Pro apps have not fared so well, and look at the MacPro almost 500 days between updates. I believe my point stands. Aperture, got a major update but after an extended period, and even now updates are barely trickling in.

Apple is definitely losing interest on the pro side of things, and focusing more on the consumer side.
Why does Pro software and hardware need updates so often? Are pro-users constantly running out and buying new hardware? I don't think so. There are still tons of G5 Quads and early Mac Pros out there.
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2010, 10:47 AM
 
Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I'm starting to get this sinking feeling that Aperture was only built to light a fire under Adobe.

To that end, Apple succeeded, but otherwise Apple's interest in Aperture seems to have waned.
They've been consistently releasing software updates, in fact a major x.x update just came out this week.
     
Maflynn
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2010, 11:19 AM
 
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Why does Pro software and hardware need updates so often? Are pro-users constantly running out and buying new hardware? I don't think so. There are still tons of G5 Quads and early Mac Pros out there.
No but pro users when they do need to buy new hardware would probably like to purchase current technology and not spend over 3 grand for last years chipset. Especially when competitors are providing just that.
~Mike
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2010, 12:05 PM
 
When you're a pro user who relies on OS X, you're not buying a Mac Pro as a piece of hardware, you're buying a Mac Pro because it's your platform.
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2010, 03:32 PM
 
Maflynn:

Sorry, but for most people working seriously in production of any kind: as long as it works, you ain't updating shit if you don't have to.

The Logic Studio updates are welcome bugfixes and support for the new Westmere Mac Pros.
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2010, 06:49 PM
 
Originally Posted by davinci707 View Post
5. Secrecy

Gotta keep things secret! Otherwise everyone else will be in a better competitive position
That's one part, but the VASTLY more important one is that you can't un-announce a feature if it hits a snag, or just doesn't work well, or isn't done in time for release.

Apple's Hype only works because their products don't disappoint - and for that, the exact feature set must remain flexible until as late as possible.
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:27 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,