Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Installing OS X on a PC

Installing OS X on a PC
raduga
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2007, 06:44 PM

I've not been following this 'project' for awhile. What's the latest? Has something gotten the full OS X operating system to run on a vanilla Intel PC? Note, I'm not talking about the kernel only, but the entire OS. If it has been done, is it reliable/stable? Just curious.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2007, 06:54 PM

They got it working, and it seems stable, but there is a lack of drivers for a lot of stuff.

Note that discussion of OS X on normal PC's is frowned upon in this forum. I don't think anyone would be allowed to talk about specifics.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2007, 07:03 PM

There are forums devoted to this elsewhere - this is not the location for this discussion.

Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2007, 07:22 PM

Ok, so I'm a MacNN n00b, but why is it frowned upon here? I mean, it's illegal, but it's still newsworthy and interesting, am I wrong?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2007, 07:57 PM

That pretty much summed it up.

Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2007, 08:00 PM

The illegal part? Drugs are illegal, yet are talked about everywhere. Is there a MacNN rule that we can't talk about illegal stuff?

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2007, 08:06 PM

We can discuss drugs, but not details of how to make them, where to find them, etc. Same goes for OSx86 (as it's known in certain circles): we acknowledge its presence, but don't go into any details.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2007, 08:07 PM

Coolio, then.

OreoCookie
Jul 23, 2007, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
The illegal part? Drugs are illegal, yet are talked about everywhere. Is there a MacNN rule that we can't talk about illegal stuff?
As a matter of fact, it's part of our forum policies here.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

raduga  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2007, 08:55 PM

Is it really true that the OS X license agreement forbids running the software on non-Apple systems? Or does the OSx86 project involve reverse engineering os/drivers, etc?

raduga  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2007, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
We can discuss drugs, but not details of how to make them, where to find them, etc. Same goes for OSx86 (as it's known in certain circles): we acknowledge its presence, but don't go into any details.
This sounds like a really sane, rational policy for a technology forum.
I hate the DMCA. Anyway I'll continue this line of inquiry on a forum that encourages free thought...

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2007, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by raduga View Post
Is it really true that the OS X license agreement forbids running the software on non-Apple systems?
http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/macosx104.pdf

"This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time."

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2007, 10:01 PM

I hate the DMCA. Anyway I'll continue this line of inquiry on a forum that encourages free thought...
Yes, and you'll need to find one where they want Apple to go out of business as well.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 23, 2007, 10:18 PM

This isn't about the DCMA, it's about violating the trust that Apple puts in Mac users. Are you interested in Apple instituting the kind of insanely intrusive crap that Microsoft has to use to keep people from trivially pirating Windows?

We DO NOT discuss methods for circumventing license agreements (even if they are not enforceable where you are, because they ARE enforceable somewhere), nor how to otherwise pirate software, operating systems, movies, songs, or any other digital medium on the MacNN Forums. Insisting on going beyond what has already been discussed in this thread is unnecessary because all the relevant and acceptable on these forums information has been posted above. Interested in it? Search for it. But keep it off of our forums, so when whoever decides to finally does sue the pants off of someone over this MacNN is in the clear. Is that "sane and rational" enough for you?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2007, 12:20 AM

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules