Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Police discrimination, misconduct, Ferguson, MO, the Roman Legion, and now math???

Police discrimination, misconduct, Ferguson, MO, the Roman Legion, and now math??? (Page 29)
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2014, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Was it? Let's say it was, just for argument's sake, wouldn't that mean that comments (actually insults) like this from him are especially ironic?

So I'm the one of "limited intellect" who doesn't understand "basic arithmetic"? What a sad, pitiful little man.

He was clearly frustrated and saying these things from this emotional state, just as you ratcheted up your aggression and frustration too.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2014, 11:06 AM

Just goes to show, however, that you don't go bashing someone else for something when you're f*cking that up yourself. He's far too flawed to have an ego that size but I will let it go eventually though, because I'm incapable of holding malevolent feelings towards anyone for very long. It only harms you, not the person you hate.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2014, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Not sure if this is related to the Eric Garner situation, a dirty cop situation, a terrorist attack, or just some random nutcase ....

Reports: 2 NYC officers dead in ambush-style shooting

OAW
Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Those who were chanting "whatta we want, dead cops, when do we want em, NOW!" got their wish.
Yep, sure is.
We shall see. I truly hope that's not what happened. But we shall see.

OAW
NY Post is reporting it was a revenge killing.
Gunman executes 2 NYPD cops as ‘revenge’ for Garner | New York Post

The Cops, an Asian and Latino.

The shooter:
( Last edited by Chongo; Dec 21, 2014 at 12:35 PM. )
45/47

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2014, 02:11 PM

Looks like the shooter killed his ex-girlfriend earlier that day in Baltimore then went to NYC. The Baltimore PD tried to warn the NYPD about what they found on his Instagram account but it was too late.

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2014, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants
Was it? Let's say it was, just for argument's sake, wouldn't that mean that comments (actually insults) like this from him are especially ironic?

So I'm the one of "limited intellect" who doesn't understand "basic arithmetic"? What a sad, pitiful little man.
He was clearly frustrated and saying these things from this emotional state, just as you ratcheted up your aggression and frustration too.
Frustrated? Yeah you could say that. But let's be clear. This is what I said .....

Originally Posted by OAW
This would mean that 0.00105729% of black males aged 10-24 committed a murder last year.

And if you find such figures confusing then another way of putting it is that if this particular demographic was a DOLLAR ... we are talking considerably less than a PENNY of them giving people dirt naps in 2013. That would have to go on for NEARLY 10 YEARS to even start talking about a PENNY. So does that really constitute "outright war in urban black communities" as a whole? Or simple "fun with statistics" on your part? In any event, my fundamental position here is that if you are going to make sweeping declarations about the "black COMMUNITY" then focusing on those statistics that are rooted in a % of MURDERERS .... as you are so inclined to do ... as opposed to a % of black PEOPLE is misleading at best and downright disingenuous at worst. But something tells me you will continue to allow such basic arithmetic to go in one ear and out the other.
As you correctly stated that figure should be 0.105729%. And I didn't contend with you about it in the slightest because as I stated ... I will NOT debate math. The error on my part was akin to a TYPO ... because the part immediately afterward that I've highlighted here clearly shows I was spot on with the CONCEPT. We are talking approximately 1/10 of 1%. of black males aged 10-24. Right? Moving on ....

As CTP continues to talk a bunch of BS my fundamental point remains. These types of sweeping generalizations about an entire group of people ...

Okay, fine. Black people, your kids (specifically the males) are f*cked up. Better?
This isn't about people abusing themselves, it's about a group of people preying on and brutalizing each other. Again, not an individual, it's a whole demographic.
... are simply NOT supported by this 1/10 of 1% figure ... which is an outlier any way you slice it. It does NOT speak to the typical experience of black males aged 10-24 because the overwhelming majority ... 99+% ... simply don't fit the description. So at this stage in the game I have zero f*cks left to give about CTP and his little shenanigans.

However, I will ask you this. Go back to the post where I originally made this statement above. Follow the thread from there and then answer these questions for yourself ...

A. How many times has CTP even acknowledged ... let alone addressed ... the actual point I've been making?

B. How many times has CTP simply reiterated a related but different point that is not even in dispute?

Now perhaps I missed something ... but from my perspective the answer to A is ZERO and the answer to B is REPEATEDLY. Is yours any different?

OAW

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2014, 03:49 PM

OAW: I think Tightpants gets it at this point, I don't think pressing him on this is going to accomplish much at this point. Don't worry, if he does something like this again just give me the bat signal and I'll take care of him again.

If you are looking for some sort of closure or takeaway from this experience, I think CTP was trying to make the point that the number is high enough that it shouldn't be blown off. I don't think you were trying to blow it off, but I think he thought you were. Maybe you could have done more to make it seem like you felt the number was serious, I dunno, I'm too lazy to go back to where everything started to go down.

I also don't think there is much point in bickering about numbers and math, I think we can all agree that the number is troubling. Where people may differ is what the solutions ought to be, where many on the left might point to a failure to create a healthy environment for the middle class and poor, education, poverty, drug enforcement, discrimination, etc. and people on the right might be more inclined to point to parenting, hip hop, the deterioration of the family, certain political figures, welfare, liberals, culture, etc. Me, I think many people confuse some of these symptoms for the root problem. If you think that hip hop is a problem, for instance, it sure as hell isn't the root cause of this violence.

Fundamentally, terrorism, violence, drug dealing, etc. is mostly born out of necessity and desperation. If you address the factors that bring about this desperation, you deal with the overall problem far more effectively than worrying about whether teenagers should pull up their pants.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2014, 05:54 PM

Florida cop killed. Suspect in custody, motive not known at this time.
Police officer shot and killed in Florida - CNN.com
45/47

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2014, 07:51 PM

As you correctly stated that figure should be 0.105729%. And I didn't contend with you about it in the slightest because as I stated ... I will NOT debate math. The error on my part was akin to a TYPO ... because the part immediately afterward that I've highlighted here clearly shows I was spot on with the CONCEPT. We are talking approximately 1/10 of 1%. of black males aged 10-24. Right? Moving on ....
Yep, the entire group is black males aged 10-24. That's what I said, that's what I've been saying, but you weren't paying attention and would rather be an ignorant asshat. A 100 /100k murder rate is crazy and blowing it off like you do makes you look stupid. Maybe repetition will help; Murder is the #1 cause of death of the demographic (black males 10-34), more than double anything else.

As CTP continues to talk a bunch of BS my fundamental point remains. These types of sweeping generalizations about an entire group of people ...
No BS you just don't like the subject.

... are simply NOT supported by this 1/10 of 1% figure ... which is an outlier any way you slice it. It does NOT speak to the typical experience of black males aged 10-24 because the overwhelming majority ... 99+% ... simply don't fit the description. So at this stage in the game I have zero f*cks left to give about CTP and his little shenanigans.
Outlier? You really are that blind and stupid. No other group even comes close, put into perspective, it's worse than the murder rate of any country on Earth.

However, I will ask you this. Go back to the post where I originally made this statement above. Follow the thread from there and then answer these questions for yourself ...

A. How many times has CTP even acknowledged ... let alone addressed ... the actual point I've been making?

B. How many times has CTP simply reiterated a related but different point that is not even in dispute?

Now perhaps I missed something ... but from my perspective the answer to A is ZERO and the answer to B is REPEATEDLY. Is yours any different?
I guess anyone as uninformed and indoctrinated as you needs someone else to blame, just put your head back in the sand, you daft bastard.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2014, 08:01 PM

OAW: I think Tightpants gets it at this point, I don't think pressing him on this is going to accomplish much at this point. Don't worry, if he does something like this again just give me the bat signal and I'll take care of him again.
Really?

If you are looking for some sort of closure or takeaway from this experience, I think CTP was trying to make the point that the number is high enough that it shouldn't be blown off. I don't think you were trying to blow it off, but I think he thought you were. Maybe you could have done more to make it seem like you felt the number was serious, I dunno, I'm too lazy to go back to where everything started to go down.
Yes, he is indeed blowing it off:

We are talking approximately 1/10 of 1%. of black males aged 10-24. Right? Moving on ....

... are simply NOT supported by this 1/10 of 1% figure ... which is an outlier any way you slice it. It does NOT speak to the typical experience of black males aged 10-24 because the overwhelming majority ... 99+% ... simply don't fit the description. So at this stage in the game I have zero f*cks left to give about CTP and his little shenanigans
He's an utter fool, it's completely inexcusable and inexplicable.

Fundamentally, terrorism, violence, drug dealing, etc. is mostly born out of necessity and desperation. If you address the factors that bring about this desperation, you deal with the overall problem far more effectively than worrying about whether teenagers should pull up their pants.
He doesn't believe those factors exist, he's convinced himself they don't. Like the alarming murder rate, he simply won't face them. Maybe it IS indoctrination, or he was in an accident and has some type of brain trauma, either way his perspective is completely screwed to hell.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2014, 08:16 PM

More NYPD shenanigans ....

‘After Everything That’s Happened’: NYPD Plainclothes Officer Punches Boy, 12 - The Root

See the video for yourself. The kid had 3 officers surrounding him as he was leaning against a vehicle. The officer directly behind him takes out handcuffs and puts them on the kid. Then out of nowhere a plain clothes cop runs up and starts punching the kid in the back.

OAW
Oh, and to clear something else up, because I know OAW would never want anyone misled , the kid in the story is actually 16 and shouldn't have even been on the middle school premesis in the first place. Funny how things get all twisted up, right? That doesn't mean it was right to punch him, but I'm betting we still haven't heard the whole story.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2014, 12:14 AM

@besson3c

It would appear that your boy has been plentiful with his commentary. As I mentioned earlier I have zero f*cks left to give about anything he has to say. Hence, why I put his sorry ass on ignore. But I imagine you can see his posts just fine. And if I were a betting man I suspect the count on Question A above is still ZERO. N'est-ce pas?

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2014, 12:57 AM

@besson3c

It would appear that your boy has been plentiful with his commentary. As I mentioned earlier I have zero f*cks left to give about anything he has to say. Hence, why I put his sorry ass on ignore. But I imagine you can see his posts just fine. And if I were a betting man I suspect the count on Question A above is still ZERO. N'est-ce pas?

OAW
You don't give a **** how many blacks are killed, you've said as much, you only care how (specifically if they die in a politically advantageous way). You're a special kind of sick and twisted. Like I said before, you and your ilk are saprophytes, I'll bet you even get excited when you see a new story about a black youth killed by a cop, you can't wait to grab the links and talking points (all skewed with certain details embellished or removed) to go spread it around to the various forums you feed. What do you get paid for that kind of thing? Is it per post or are you on a salary?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2014, 03:05 AM

Tightpants, I think you need to give OAW a hug.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2014, 03:14 AM

Tightpants, I don't understand why you feel that OAW is blowing off the problem? I also don't understand why you are being so incredibly intense about this?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2014, 09:54 AM

Tightpants, I don't understand why you feel that OAW is blowing off the problem? I also don't understand why you are being so incredibly intense about this?
Because I showed where he blew off the problem, and he's done it numerous times? He doesn't care how many people die, he's only concerned about the political implications of how they die. It's really the only way to explain how he can wave off 1 out of 1000 in that group being murdered, by someone else within that same group, every single year. It's not part of his agenda.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2014, 11:12 AM

This guy has an interesting take on the whole Ferguson/Garner protests. He says that Muslim groups are trying to co-opt the protest to foment Jihad.

The Man Who Just Murdered Two Police Officers In Brooklyn Is A Muslim Jihadist (BE PREPARED FOR MORE MUSLIM VIOLENCE IN AMERICA) - Walid Shoebat

He mentions this Fox News story.
Muslim groups seek to co-opt Ferguson protests, says watchdog group | Fox News
Time will tell if he is right. One thing to note, Mislims are very active in prisons including the Nation of Islam.
45/47

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2014, 11:43 AM

Because I showed where he blew off the problem, and he's done it numerous times? He doesn't care how many people die, he's only concerned about the political implications of how they die. It's really the only way to explain how he can wave off 1 out of 1000 in that group being murdered, by someone else within that same group, every single year. It's not part of his agenda.
Is it possible that you are interpreting this incorrectly? I didn't get the same vibe and/or interpretation.

How about I just ask him directly to settle this as my early Christmas gift: OAW, do you think this murder frequency is inconsequential and/or insignificant? Do you understand the concern with this demographic?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 22, 2014, 12:17 PM

Oh, and you implying that isolated incidents of police violence in some way equals the way the police in general behave towards blacks is stupid and BS I wouldn't expect from an educated man.
You can't in one breath claim the police are biased towards blacks because of the way they treat each other and in the next breath tell me the police aren't more aggressive towards blacks in general.

I've already said the police who have gone too far need to be punished, like the one who cracked that woman's skull for kicking at him, what the hell else do you want?
An end to moving a thread about police misconduct onto the subject of black culture. Blacks being a more aggressive culture doesn't justify police misconduct any more than police misconduct justifies violence towards police. Each side is responsible for its own actions.

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
I don't think the issues are mutually exclusive, and it kind of seems like the debate is framed that way.
Then let me clarify. They aren't exclusive, but for the purposes of thread discussion they tend to be. Which is why I advocate making a separate thread if one has deep thought to share regarding the issues of the black community. This isn't thread for it.

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
We can both demand more of our police and work towards solving violent crime problems among various socio-economic demographics.
Word. I'm not either/or guy. But I do think the former is much more straightforward to fix – turn-in bad cops, punish offenses, and review them by a non-involved third-party.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 22, 2014, 12:21 PM

Well, I think this is the nail in the coffin of the Wilson grand jury being rigged.
St. Louis prosecutor admits witnesses likely lied under oath | MSNBC
St. Louis Prosecuting Attorney Robert McCulloch admitted Friday that he believed multiple witnesses lied under oath while testifying before the grand jury that heard the case of Michael Brown, an unarmed teen who was shot dead by a police officer in August.
“I thought it was much more important to present anybody and everybody,” McCulloch said, “and some, yes, clearly were not telling the truth, no question about it.”

St. Louis Grand Jury Heard Witnesses Who Lied, Prosecutor Says : The Two-Way : NPR
"It's a legitimate issue. But in the situation — again, because of the manner in which we did it — we're not going to file perjury charges against anyone. There were people who came in and yes, absolutely lied under oath. Some lied to the FBI — even though they're not under oath, that's another potential offense, a federal offense.

"But I thought it was much more important to present the entire picture and say listen, this is what this witness says he saw — even though there was a building between where the witness says he was and where the events occurred, so they couldn't have seen that. Or the physical evidence didn't support what the witness was saying. And it went both directions. ...

"I thought it was much more important that the grand jury hear everything, what people have to say — and they're in a perfect position to assess the credibility, which is what juries do."

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2014, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
You can't in one breath claim the police are biased towards blacks because of the way they treat each other and in the next breath tell me the police aren't more aggressive towards blacks in general.
The way some blacks treat each other influences the way some officers feel about blacks in general, that's not hard to understand.

An end to moving a thread about police misconduct onto the subject of black culture. Blacks being a more aggressive culture doesn't justify police misconduct any more than police misconduct justifies violence towards police. Each side is responsible for its own actions.
The thread was about the shooting of Mike Brown, it becoming about other incidents involving cops in general is as much changing the subject as anything I've said (the "and beyond" part was added later). And no, I said that a particular segment of black society, namely the 10-34 male demographic, is more violent and all statistics back that up. Since Mike Brown and the other people killed by cops in the articles that have been posted here are a part of that group, it isn't a great leap in deductive reasoning to see that they're connected. It's like being told you can discuss the when, where, and how of these incidents but certain people get upset when others bring up why, as if the actions by the police are occurring within a vacuum.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2014, 12:47 PM

Is it possible that you are interpreting this incorrectly? I didn't get the same vibe and/or interpretation.
We are talking approximately 1/10 of 1%. of black males aged 10-24. Right? Moving on ....
Seriously?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2014, 12:56 PM

Our local CBS affiliate, along with numerous other outlets, have done reports on how "officer involved shootings" affect them. It's amazing anyone applies for the job these days.
Shedding light on PTSD and police - CBS 5 - KPHO
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 22, 2014, 01:56 PM

The way some blacks treat each other influences the way some officers feel about blacks in general, that's not hard to understand.
That's already been acknowledged, too.

The thread was about the shooting of Mike Brown
Keyword, was. And if you check the OP, it was about the police behavior in response to the protests in Ferguson. Now it's about police misbehavior in general, and what tends to be the lack of accountability in it's wake.

when others bring up why, as if the actions by the police are occurring within a vacuum.
Because, as I've already pointed out, it's victim blaming. They are trained, paid, and empowered to carry a badge and a gun and are ultimately responsible for the actions. To be fair, you're one of the few people in here who seems to acknowledge that they should be to a higher standard than a civilian.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2014, 03:02 PM

That's already been acknowledged, too.
Some officers, not all officers.

Keyword, was. And if you check the OP, it was about the police behavior in response to the protests in Ferguson. Now it's about police misbehavior in general, and what tends to be the lack of accountability in it's wake.
It's also been about violence within urban black communities for 20+ pages, too, ever since the riots started in Ferguson.

Because, as I've already pointed out, it's victim blaming. They are trained, paid, and empowered to carry a badge and a gun and are ultimately responsible for the actions. To be fair, you're one of the few people in here who seems to acknowledge that they should be to a higher standard than a civilian.
I don't recall saying that, in fact I keep trying to remind everyone that they're only normal people in a very stressful, dangerous job and have said that numerous times. "Victim blaming" is a very PC way of avoiding a root cause of the problem, and either we can address this as a nation or we can see this escalate even further, especially now that we have cops being ambushed and murdered while on the job.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2014, 05:01 PM

How about I just ask him directly to settle this as my early Christmas gift: OAW, do you think this murder frequency is inconsequential and/or insignificant? Do you understand the concern with this demographic?
It is absolutely NOT inconsequential. CTP is correct that homicide is the leading cause of death for black males aged 10-24. Again, as I've said REPEATEDLY he is arguing a point that is NOT in dispute. But true to his "Resident Forum Internet Expert" persona he presumes that he is actually "informing" me about something that I don't already know. My issue with his commentary is very specific and I've also made it quite plain REPEATEDLY ....

Okay, fine. Black people, your kids (specifically the males) are f*cked up. Better?
This isn't about people abusing themselves, it's about a group of people preying on and brutalizing each other. Again, not an individual, it's a whole demographic.
When he starts twisting his lips to disparage an ENTIRE GROUP OF PEOPLE based upon what 1/10 of 1% of them do ... I'm going to call that out for the racist idiocy that it is. Simple as that.

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2014, 05:08 PM

Then let me clarify. They aren't exclusive, but for the purposes of thread discussion they tend to be. Which is why I advocate making a separate thread if one has deep thought to share regarding the issues of the black community. This isn't thread for it.
I know this comment was in response to Snow-i ... and I'm not speaking about him ... but I suggested the same thing quite some time ago to CTP. Even went so far as to "throw down the gauntlet" about participating in such a thread. Naturally, he declined because he couldn't really care less about violence within certain segments of the black community outside of making excuses for police brutality and derailing this thread.

OAW

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2014, 05:08 PM

I think you are reaching a little there OAW. I think he means everything relating to that particular demographic. Another language issue?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2014, 05:10 PM

This thread needs more ho ho hos

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2014, 05:18 PM

I think you are reaching a little there OAW. I think he means everything relating to that particular demographic. Another language issue?
Well if we are talking about "everything" related to that particular demographic ... then 99+% of them are NOT murderers. Follow me? So now my 17 year old son is "f*cked up" in CTP's "expert" opinion? With a 4.0 GPA in all AP and Honors courses? A kid who's never been arrested or even been in a fight a day in his life ... let alone committed a murder? A kid who is by no means "out of the ordinary" ... which would be obvious to anyone who actually interacts with real average, everyday black people? The game CTP is playing is comparing the homicide rate of one ethnic/age group against others .... and because it is higher among black males aged 10-24 he then wants to pretend he is justified in making sweeping generalizations about the "whole demographic". Even though it is a "tiny fraction of the demographic" that is responsible for the murders. The reality is that the vast majority of the homicides we see in the "black male aged 10-24" demographic is related to gang activity. Now I'm a big Sons of Anarchy fan. Can I also play this game and start saying that the white adult male demographic is "f*cked up" based upon the actions of those involved in criminal biker gangs?

The analogy I used earlier should make this crystal clear. If only 1/10th of 1% of adult white males aged 18-35 managed to have sex with a woman in any given year ... it would be the pretty foolish to try to claim that the "whole demographic" was a bunch of "womanizers". N'est-ce pas?

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Dec 22, 2014 at 05:56 PM. )

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2014, 05:39 PM

More on the murderer of the two NYPD officers ....

What exactly pushed Mr. Brinsley to fatally shoot two police officers before shooting himself is not clear. But by Sunday evening, several things had become obvious. He had an extensive history with the police, having been arrested 20 times, mainly for petty things, crimes ranging from stealing condoms from a Rite Aid in Ohio to shooting a stolen gun in a public street in Georgia.

Mr. Brinsley had also suffered from mental problems. Relatives told the police he had taken medication at one point, and when he was asked during an August 2011 court hearing if he had ever been a patient in a mental institution or under the care of a psychiatrist or psychologist, he said yes. He had also tried to hang himself a year ago, the police said.

By this year, Mr. Brinsley had become isolated. He was estranged from his family. His on-again, off-again relationship with Shaneka Thompson, 29, who works for the Maryland Department of Welfare and serves in the Air Force Reserve, was off again. By Saturday, he had seized on the deaths at the hands of police officers of Eric Garner on Staten Island and Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo., focusing his rage against the authorities. In his short life, during which Mr. Brinsley failed to finish high school, to hold a steady job or, seemingly, to commit even the smallest crime without being caught, thoughts of revenge seemed to be the one thing giving him purpose.

“Most of his postings and rants are on the Instagram account, and what we’re seeing from this right now is anger against the government,” Robert K. Boyce, the Police Department’s chief of detectives, said at a news conference on Sunday. Chief Boyce added that one of those posts showed a burning flag, and in others Mr. Brinsley talked of the anger he felt toward the police. There were, Chief Boyce said, “other postings as well, of self-despair, of anger at himself and where his life is right now.”

No members of his family spoke of Mr. Brinsley with fondness. He bounced from family home to family home growing up, attending high school in New Jersey but reaching only the 10th grade. A sister in Atlanta, Nawaal Brinsley, said she had not seen him in two years. Another sister who had lived in the Bronx could not be reached, but the police said they had been called to a dispute with Mr. Brinsley at her home in 2011. Mr. Brinsley’s mother, who lives in Brooklyn, told the police she feared her son and had not seen him in a month. She said “he had a very troubled childhood and was often violent,” Chief Boyce said.
New York Officers’ Killer, Adrift and Ill, Had a Plan | NYTimes.com

OAW

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2014, 05:50 PM

This thread needs more ho ho hos
You got it!
45/47

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2014, 06:01 PM

Some good news coming out of all of this ....

H.R. 1447, the Death in Custody Reporting Act, authored by Rep. Bobby Scott (D-VA), passed the Senate (Wednesday) tonight and is on its way to be signed into law. The bill passed the House a year ago in December 2013.

The legislation requires police departments to report deaths in police custody to the Department of Justice. The bill passed the House before Eric Garner and Michael Brown were killed by police and their deaths made national headlines.

Rep. Scott’s bill requires states and federal law enforcement agencies to report details of deaths in custody to the Department of Justice. This includes demographic data and the circumstances of the death and whether the death occurred in police custody or during arrest. The bill further requires the Attorney General to study the information gathered and provide suggestions to reduce the number of deaths in police custody.

Rep. Scott is the most senior Democrat on the House Judiciary subcommittee on Crime.

In 2000, Congress passed the Death in Custody Reporting Act, which required states to provide info any time a person dies during an arrest. But the Act expired in 2006. Since then, DoJ has not had access to data on on deaths in police custody. With a do-nothing Congress that is continuously mired in gridlock, few lawmakers were focused on the legislation. But then the stories of Brown and Garner made national headlines.

Scott’s bill was pushed in the Senate by Senators Rand Paul (R-KY) and Richard Blumenthal (D-CT). H.R. 1447 was passed by unanimous consent meaning there were no major objections from anyone in either party. Rare. No one can believe that this Congress actually passes useful laws (understandable…) so the video of H.R. 1447 passing via UC on Wednesday evening is at bottom.

In 2013, 461 (we think…) people were killed by the police — the most in 30 years. Scott dropped the Death In Custody Reporting Act in early 2013.

Yesterday, Black Caucus members John Conyers (D-MI), Bennie Thompson (D-MS) and Elijah Cummings (D-MD) called for in-depth congressional hearings into the deaths of Michael Brown and Eric Garner.
First #Ferguson Bill Set to Become Law: Deaths in Custody Reporting Act | Politic365

It's almost unbelievable that heretofore there has been no requirement for local police agencies to report the details of people killed in custody to the federal government. At least now we will begin to get an even more accurate picture of how deep the rabbit hole goes.

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2014, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
You got it!

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2014, 06:12 PM

A former Buffalo police officer says she is fighting to regain her pension after being fired for stopping a fellow officer from strangling a suspect, reports WKBW.

According to the fired officer, Cariol Horne, she responded to a call of an officer in trouble on Nov. 1, 2006.

When she arrived she discovered officer Gregory Kwiatkowski arresting a suspect, Neal Mack, who had been involved in a domestic dispute with his girlfriend.

“He was handcuffed in the front and he was sideways and was being punched in the face by Gregory Kwiatkowski,” Horne remembered.

Once Kwiatkowski pulled Mack out of the home, assisted by ten police officers who had responded to the call, Horne said the arresting officer began choking the suspect.

“Gregory Kwiatkowski turned Neal Mack around and started choking him. So then I’m like, ‘Greg! You’re choking him,’ because I thought whatever happened in the house he was still upset about so when he didn’t stop choking him I just grabbed his arm from around Neal Mack’s neck,” said Horne.

According to Horne, Kwiatkowski responded to her by punching her in the face.

“He comes up and punches me in the face and I had to have my bridge replaced,” said Horne, who said she then tried to defend herself only to have other officers pull her away from Kwiatkowski, injuring her shoulder in the process.

Following the incident, Horne was fired and charged with obstruction for “jumping on officer Kwiatkowski’s back and/or striking him with her hands.”

However, in a sworn statement regarding the incident Kwiatkowski said, “she never got on top of me.”

Despite that, Horne lost every appeal and with her 19 year career over, losing her pension in the process.

“My daughter said, ‘Mommy, why did you go to work that day?’ She never said, ‘Why did you do what you did?’ or ‘I wish you wouldn’t have done it,” Horne, the mother of five children said.”‘I wish you wouldn’t have gone to work that day.’ So I don’t regret it.”

According to Horne, she now works as a truck driver to feed her family.

As for Officer Kwiatkowski, he was forced to retire from the department after being suspended for choking another officer on the job and, in a separate incident, punching a fellow officer while off-duty.

In May 2014, Kwiatowkski and two other officers were indicted for federal civil rights violations against African-American teen suspects.

Horne is continuing to fight for a pension, with the City of Buffalo Common Council sending her case to the New York State retirement system for review.
Really? So the black female "good cop" who tried to protect a handcuffed suspect and keep this fool from putting himself and the department in legal jeopardy is immediately FIRED and LOSES HER PENSION. But the white male "bad cop" is protected by the department and is only "forced to RETIRE" after two more incidents. With the smart money being on those two attacks being against other white male cops. And the video says that Kwiatkowski and another officer were recently indicted on civil rights violations for holding down a black teen suspect on the ground and shooting him with a BB gun.

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2014, 12:08 PM

The Glendale, CA Elks Lodge is investigating a shocking incident that went down in the club a week ago Monday, when a performer sang a song celebrating the death of Michael Brown ... for an audience that included a number of retired and current cops ... and TMZ has the video.

The song was a parody of "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown." Gary Fishell, the performer and a member of the Lodge, changed the lyrics, which include:

Michael Brown learned a lesson about a messin'
With a badass policeman

And he's bad, bad Michael Brown
Baddest thug in the whole damn town
Badder than old King Kong
Meaner than a junkyard dog

Two men took to fightin'
And Michael punched in through the door
And Michael looked like some old Swiss cheese
His brain was splattered on the floor

And he's dead, dead Michael Brown
Deadest man in the whole damn town
His whole life's long gone
Deader than a roadkill dog
The event was the capper for a charity golf event, thrown by retired LAPD Officer Joe Myers, a 32 year veteran who left the force in 2007. We're told 50-60 people attended the dinner, and about half were cops, most of whom were retired. The others were civilians.

Singer Gary Fishell is a P.I. who once worked as an investigator for the Federal Government. His lawyer tells TMZ, Fishell now realizes the song was "off color and in poor taste." The lawyer adds, "He's a goofball who writes funny songs." We asked why Fishell would sing this in a room full of cops, and the lawyer replied, "He thought the room would get a kick out of it."

Joe Myers tells TMZ, "How can I dictate what he [Fishell] says in a song?" Myers goes on, "This is America. We can say what we want. This is a free America." Myers adds ... he's done this as an annual event for decades and has raised a lot of money for charity.

Someone who was at the event videotaped it because they were offended by the song and upset no one was objecting.

A trustee for the Lodge tells TMZ, the dinner was not an Elks Club event ... it was a golf tournament run by Myers and since he was a member he had a right to hold a dinner there.

The trustee tells TMZ many of the hundreds of members of the Glendale Elks Lodge are upset about the song, saying, "It's deplorable and inappropriate and the Lodge will take disciplinary action against [Fishell] and possibly the people who organized this event."

The trustee added, "We don't stand for any racist things like this."
Michael Brown -- Horrific Racist Song At Charity Event ... 'And He's Dead, Dead Michael Brown' (VIDEO) | TMZ.com

Ha ha ha. Real funny.

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 23, 2014, 12:13 PM

It's also been about violence within urban black communities for 20+ pages, too, ever since the riots started in Ferguson.
*sigh* That's a broad description. Stop trying to cock-block my keeping this on topic. I'd rather see this thread a ghost-town and on-topic, than lively and full of derails.

I don't recall saying that, in fact I keep trying to remind everyone that they're only normal people in a very stressful, dangerous job and have said that numerous times.
Fine. I took your indictment of several cops actions as acknowledgment of the responsibilities required of the job. My mistake.

"Victim blaming" is a very PC way of avoiding a root cause of the problem, and either we can address this as a nation
Let's just say that when it comes to assigning responsibility, you and I don't tend to see eye to eye.

especially now that we have cops being ambushed and murdered while on the job.
Now? The cops being murdered was out of the oridinary, but let's not pretend this is something new.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 23, 2014, 12:21 PM

Really? So the black female "good cop" who tried to protect a handcuffed suspect and keep this fool from putting himself and the department in legal jeopardy is immediately FIRED and LOSES HER PENSION.
I just don't know what to say anymore. Given my claims of that cops tend to look the other way rather than turn in cops, I won't claim racism yet.
Fired Buffalo cop, "I'd do it again" - Story

Officer Kwiatkowski was forced to retire from the police department after he was suspended for choking another officer on the job, and in a separate incident, punching another officer when he was off the clock.
This is the 'good' cop?!

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2014, 12:34 PM

So what part of the process of ACQUIRING cops is broken? HR on the UNION side, or HR on the gov't side? Not enough mental exams of detail? "Pack Mentality" of cops? Is it the TYPE of person the gov't wants broken?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 23, 2014, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
So what part of the process of ACQUIRING cops is broken?
Sort of. We live in a world where this happens: Court OKs Barring High IQs for Cops - ABC News

Reminds me of an exchange from Terminator 2:
John Connor: Can you learn stuff you haven't been programmed with so you could be... you know, more human? And not such a dork all the time?
The Terminator: My CPU is a neural net processor; a learning computer. But Skynet pre-sets the switch to read-only when we're sent out alone.
Sarah Connor: Doesn't want you doing too much thinking, huh?
The Terminator: No.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2014, 12:49 PM

Gee that's sad. I KNOW that they do it at banks so the employees aren't smart enough to steal the money etc.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2014, 01:37 PM

*sigh* That's a broad description. Stop trying to cock-block my keeping this on topic. I'd rather see this thread a ghost-town and on-topic, than lively and full of derails.
Is it? It's been a chain reaction of events that started long before anyone involved with it was ever born and we really aren't any closer to solving the problem.

Let's just say that when it comes to assigning responsibility, you and I don't tend to see eye to eye.
That isn't a comparable situation. Listen, just about every person who has ever committed a murder, rape, or other violent crime was once a victim of abuse or neglect (oftentimes throughout their childhood), it's a simple fact, but we still hold them accountable and they're still responsible for what they do.

Now? The cops being murdered was out of the oridinary, but let's not pretend this is something new.
I have no doubt it was a response to the demonstration in the same city days earlier calling for cops to be killed. When more of these "responses" happen this will get much, much worse.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2014, 02:01 PM

As many of you know, The NewTimes affiliates tend to be left of center. This was written by Michael Lacey, who has had run ins with Sherriff Arpaio. I knew this officer's son. This is why I'm familiar with the story. This happened a half mile from my house

OFFICER DOWN | Phoenix New Times
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 23, 2014, 02:50 PM

That isn't a comparable situation.
I'm not referring to situation, I'm referring to your outlook.

I have no doubt it was a response to the demonstration in the same city days earlier calling for cops to be killed.
Funny, because I don't doubt that it was the terrible Grand Jury outcomes that it was a response to.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 23, 2014, 02:51 PM

BTW, I read one of the officers killed was filling in for someone who was late. Whoever he replaced is probably going to have a nice amount of survivor's guilt to have to sift through. Horrible.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2014, 03:47 PM

What’s emerging now is that, within the thin blue line of the NYPD, there is another divide - between black and white officers.

Reuters interviewed 25 African American male officers on the NYPD, 15 of whom are retired and 10 of whom are still serving. All but one said that, when off duty and out of uniform, they had been victims of racial profiling, which refers to using race or ethnicity as grounds for suspecting someone of having committed a crime.

The officers said this included being pulled over for no reason, having their heads slammed against their cars, getting guns brandished in their faces, being thrown into prison vans and experiencing stop and frisks while shopping. The majority of the officers said they had been pulled over multiple times while driving. Five had had guns pulled on them.

Desmond Blaize, who retired two years ago as a sergeant in the 41st Precinct in the Bronx, said he once got stopped while taking a jog through Brooklyn’s upmarket Prospect Park. "I had my ID on me so it didn’t escalate," said Blaize, who has sued the department alleging he was racially harassed on the job. "But what’s suspicious about a jogger? In jogging clothes?"
Off duty, black cops in New York feel threat from fellow police | Reuters

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 23, 2014, 03:51 PM

So 5 out of 25 had a gun pulled on them once. 20% is not a great number.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2014, 04:00 PM

Perhaps my sarcasm meter is off today .... but for a routine traffic stop? Granted it's a pretty limited survey ... but if 20% of black police officers in NYC ... not criminals or "thugs" .... had guns pulled on them for no good reason imagine what happens to regular black civilians?

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 23, 2014, 04:02 PM

20% is not a great number as it is too high. 1 in 5 had a gun pulled on them. The only saving grace is it may be only once in x amount of years. But that's not that great a grace. And as you point out, these are cops, who know how they 'need' to behave.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2014, 04:09 PM

^^^^

Gotcha. I misinterpreted at first and took "20% is not a great number" to mean "20% is not a large number". My bad. And you are absolutely right ... these are by no means members of the "anti-social element" in the black community. Which goes to show you that the notion of "respectability politics" only goes so far.

OAW

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2014, 04:20 PM

No wonder cops are on edge. I guess large stature doesn't matter.
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...942901&fref=nf
45/47

Forum Links
Forum Rules