Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > ICC aware web browser?

ICC aware web browser?
oeyvind
Senior User
Feb 17, 2003, 06:04 AM

Is MSIE on Mac & Mac OS X still the only ICC aware web browser out there?

TIA.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2003, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by oeyvind:
Is MSIE on Mac & Mac OS X still the only ICC aware web browser out there?

TIA.
ICC? Do you mean Internet Config?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2003, 12:32 PM

I think he's talking about ICC color profiles, support for which is usually provided via ColorSync on Macs. IE and OmniWeb both support this.

Gecko used to support ICC profiles, but people complained that it made images look "too dark" on Macs (never mind that this was how the images were originally intended to be viewed), so they removed that feature. It was removed before Chimera really got started, so it has never been in that browser.

Safari's an oddball. Either PNG's or CSS colors support ICC profiles; I don't know which. But whichever one does, the other one doesn't, and this can cause problems.

I don't know about iCab or Opera.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

oeyvind  (op)
Senior User
Feb 17, 2003, 08:48 PM

Found out more:

OmniWeb & Safari (v0.8.2 onwards) do aware of ICC profile

Safari 0.8.2 does. JPEG and TIFF, both RGB and CMYK are supported. Same as Mail and Preview. For some reason the iPhoto team appears to be out to lunch because they just can't get it right. It requires quitting and relaunching before it sees profiles, and hoses CMYK images altogether. Chimera ignores embedded profiles.

There is an HTML convention to reference standalone ICC profiles, that way you can have 20 images on a page using 3 different profiles for example, and for the browser to only download those three profiles once. If they were embedded, they'd be downloaded a total of 20 times. I don't know much about HTML so I don't know if this is something that can be done on a per image or per page basis.

In the absence of an embedded profile, Omniweb uses sRGB as the assumed source profile. IE will also do this. I'm not sure if Safari makes a similar assumption.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 18, 2003, 01:11 AM

Where'd you find this quote? Link, please?

By the way, if Safari supports ICC profiles, then it should assume sRGB for the source if no other profile is available; this has been established by the W3C as the standard assumption.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Forum Links
Forum Rules