Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] Aluminum Alloy updated to 1.5!

[ANN] Aluminum Alloy updated to 1.5!
bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Apr 10, 2004, 06:38 AM

This update is big enough to deserve a bump from 1.1.2 to 1.5. I've skinned pretty much all apps that looked out of place, and I think this theme is pretty dang complete.
What I forgot to mention in the change log is that the Camino buttons are made by cerbero on from the MacNN forums.
And thanks to Jake Wexler who motivated me to skin iTunes by showing me pictures of his own AA iTunes skin.

These are the changes:

� Added appSkins for Address Book, Calculator, Camino, Font Book, Help Viewer, iCal, iChat, iMovie 4, Installer, iPhoto 4, iTunes 4.2, Mail, QuickTime 6.5, Safari, Sherlock and VLC!
� Added customized Labels!
� Added Font Panel buttons!
� Added an anti-aliased Keychain Menu Extra.
� Updated the Safari skins for Safari 1.2 and they are now bundled as appskins.
� Updated the Desktop Pictures to Widescreen 16:9 ratio (1600x1024) which will look good on all monitors. If you have a 4:3 monitor, the desktop picture gets the edges cropped and looks correctly anyway.
� Updated the Pane Splitter to be 2 pixels smaller so that it does not get dislocated sometimes, like it did in the Finder Search Window for example.
� Fixed inactive Segment Buttons to be opaque, so that inactive Save Dialog Back/Forward buttons look the same as in the Finder and Safari.
� Fixed the vertical alignment of mini push and popup buttons.
� Changed the scrollbar caps in the Volcanic variation to be slightly lighter.
� Changed the colors of Sidebar selection to go with each color variation. It used to be a graphite color in each variation, now it's orange in Volcanic and green in Toxic etc. This change is also reflected in the Safari skins and iTunes skins.

Download:

from MaxThemes | from MacUpdate

Tarambana
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2004, 07:00 AM

Woa, Max! Great update! As you said, this theme is now complete. I Can't believe you have come to skin all those apps! It looks gorgeous!

Oh, and I am eagerly awating NickelCobalt, I'm sure you can overcome the problemas caused by those bezels. Good luck, Max!

Tara.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2004, 07:45 AM

Wow, totally amazing update. Had to go back and check this theme out it's just that complete and full of eyecandy. I matches well with The Last Order-icons from Rokey. Anyways, I noticed that the iTunes skin is not the same typee of color or gradiant like the rest of the theme. Is this the famous grey/gray limitation? It could be my Mac though LOL, I just don't know. My iTunes is just brushed-without the brushed part.

Edit. Just noticed the same with Quicktime. I know mrtew had Quicktime and iTunes skinned in the right color and style as the rest of the theme. Can you do the same, Max?
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

benign
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2004, 08:00 AM

Champagne corks must be bursting all over the place...

Still think it looks like milk with titanic rivets
bolted on and a big helping of candy tossed
on board to sweeten the ride for the kiddies.

...and at almost a 10Mb download, it's beginning
to be a titanic download as well.

But, well done on making such a complete theme.
A lot of work and patience - that will make all the
GUIy kids well happy.

Simple Empire...

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2004, 08:02 AM

OMG!
Max you just raised the bar a bit too high!
Now we 'll have to skin all those apps to make a theme feel complete..
I hate ya..
Seriously, Fantastic update
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2004, 08:12 AM

....you're god damn right they are!!!

........oh does it it now!? Where are your eyes located? On the back of your knees ? LOL

......awwwwww, you poor thing, did your 28Kbit internet connection break down from sheer pressure ????

GUIy kids well happy.
....at least the man of steel gives out some comforting words that'll make everyone happy. You're not such a bad guy afterall.

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2004, 08:47 AM

Awesome update, Max. Thanks!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2004, 08:57 AM

If someone could post a pic / link so we can take a look a the Max theme... the pic in his site is 'mini' and I am on 56kb actually.

bOOzo  (op)
Addicted to Themes
Apr 10, 2004, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by Fonzie:
[snip]
Anyways, I noticed that the iTunes skin is not the same typee of color or gradiant like the rest of the theme. Is this the famous grey/gray limitation? It could be my Mac though LOL, I just don't know. My iTunes is just brushed-without the brushed part.

Edit. Just noticed the same with Quicktime. I know mrtew had Quicktime and iTunes skinned in the right color and style as the rest of the theme. Can you do the same, Max?
These are limitations with iTunes and QuickTime. I'm just happy that it's sorta similar to the regular Metal style in AA. I'm hoping that either Apple will update those apps to use the regular Metal, or that Jason patches them to allow custom gradients.

Originally posted by Patcarla:
OMG!
Max you just raised the bar a bit too high!
Now we 'll have to skin all those apps to make a theme feel complete..
I hate ya..
Seriously, Fantastic update
Hehe, someone had to do it, right?
I'm might do the same with NickelCobalt if I like how it turns out.

Originally posted by benign:

GUIy kids well happy.
Yeah I've heard the Titanic joke before..
Can't please everyone!
The 10 mb download is because of all the appskins, and then multiplied by 4 for all the color variations..

Originally posted by Tarambana:
Oh, and I am eagerly awating NickelCobalt, I'm sure you can overcome the problemas caused by those bezels. Good luck, Max!
I'm still waiting to hear from Paul about NC, he's apparently busy with work. I'm sure it will turn out fine.

Originally posted by Cerbero:
Awesome update, Max. Thanks!
Thanks
It was you who made the Camino skin right? It was a while ago, but I'm pretty sure it was you.

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2004, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
It was you who made the Camino skin right? It was a while ago, but I'm pretty sure it was you.
Yup, that was me. I've since abandoned Camino for Safari though

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2004, 09:57 AM

Woohoo! Awesome work with all the appskins. That's incredible. As long as you're the only guy including iTunes skins (yeah, yeah, NEOS), your themes will always be the one running on my Mac.

Keep it up. I can't wait to see NickelCobalt.

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2004, 10:03 AM

HOLY CRAP! You put the logo in iTunes' lcd thingy?!

I am soooo in love with this theme right now.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2004, 10:07 AM

very nice work!
one thing i have found:

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2004, 10:29 AM

I am the happiest person alive! This is by far the very best theme for OS X. And Max, you've done it again. Thanks!

Am I blushing?

Holigen
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2004, 11:53 AM

Very nice. I do appreciate how many appskins you have managed to fit into one theme. Truly amazing. Nice job

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

servo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2004, 01:13 PM

Now the wait for the AA icons will be even worse.
When will we see those?

brazil
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2004, 01:14 PM

Supreme - Exquisite - Phattest Dope . Thanks fer hookin' us up Max - May the ghost of Tommy Bolin play a wicked riff in yer name .
"I'm a Grey Chicken" - This is what my African Grey said . She did not learn it from me. www.screaminmoon.com

mac15
Senior User
Apr 10, 2004, 02:23 PM

You make other themers feel sad I don't know how you can sit there and do all the app skins!

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2004, 03:00 PM

Max, is this similar to the style that's in the normal Finder windows in Aluminum Alloy1.5? If it is then I need to go check with my doctor asap

Click below for a 265Kb screenshot of my iTunes and Quicktime apps which are not skinned.
Click here if you're interested (esp. Max)

phillryu
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2004, 03:10 PM

Max, is this similar to the style that's in the normal Finder windows in Aluminum Alloy1.5? If it is then I need to go check with my doctor asap

Click below for a 265Kb screenshot of my iTunes and Quicktime apps which are not skinned.
Fonzie, those are limitations in Quicktime and iTunes' hardcoded interfaces. Not Max's fault, unfortunately. (I know we all love to blame Max. )

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Sage
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2004, 03:17 PM

Oh dear lordy, I'm gonna ***t in my pants.

Most, most excellent job, Max. And you even modified Font Book's + button! How cool is that?! (The push-down state of that button has been bugging me for ages.)

BTW, I know the iTunes problem isn't your doing, but now the gradient isn't smooth... if you look at it, it has discreet vertical lines going through it, like what happens when gradients are compressed in a gif image.

Oh, and, I suppose the iPhoto appskin isn't supposed to work for iPhoto 2?

[edit]: Oh, and, I liked the old AA Safari progress bars better (the SafarIcon ones)... the new ones don't look right, with the top shadow disappearing.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2004, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
Fonzie, those are limitations in Quicktime and iTunes' hardcoded interfaces. Not Max's fault, unfortunately. (I know we all love to blame Max. )
Limitations ??? Have you looked at mrtew's Titanium7.4 theme ? How come he can do it ?

I'm not blaming Max for anything other than he's doing a fantastic job.

eFX
Apr 10, 2004, 04:04 PM

This is a georgeous theme so smooth, just what Alloy is slick and ofcourse dig the glassy highlights.

Just lovely!

bOOzo  (op)
Addicted to Themes
Apr 10, 2004, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by mdc:
very nice work!
one thing i have found:
Good catch. I don't have bluetooth myself, and this is not in the appskin template so I guess it must be stacked away in the system somwhere.. I'll see if I can locate it.

Well, I ment it in the sense that in a theme like milk for example, the grey gradients would look much more out of place. This does looks somewhat like the metal appearance.

Originally posted by mac15:
You make other themers feel sad I don't know how you can sit there and do all the app skins!
Well, I found the motivation because I enjoyed the result..

Limitations ??? Have you looked at mrtew's Titanium7.4 theme ? How come he can do it ?

I'm not blaming Max for anything other than he's doing a fantastic job.
Titanium was in luck so to speak, because you can darken the texture image to get a darker appearance, but even if you make it white, you can't get it any brighter than it is in AA.

--

And thanks for the praise.. I'm glad you enjoy it!

bOOzo  (op)
Addicted to Themes
Apr 10, 2004, 04:19 PM

double post..
( Last edited by bOOzo; Apr 10, 2004 at 04:39 PM. )

Sage
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2004, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I've actually come up with a better solution while working on BBXMX, I'll change the style in the next update.
Yay, thank you.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2004, 04:50 PM

Hey Max, for the sake of my 2 year old mindset It's possible to have a white iTunes and Quicktime skin and a dark one but nothing inbetween ? Silly.

Sage
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2004, 05:36 PM

Oh my goodness, even the "unread Mail" dot is themed! That's too cool!

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2004, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by Sage:
Oh my goodness, even the "unread Mail" dot is themed! That's too cool!
:Runs to go check it out:

:Comes back:

Hey Max, I'm using the Volcanic variant and my dot is blue...

Still the greatest theme release EVER.

Sage
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2004, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by rhythmicmoose:
Yeah, I'm sure he purposely did that, since the normal Aqua unread Mail dot is blue.

Speaking of blue, is it not possible yet to change the highlight color used when you single-click on an iTunes song? (Not the highlight color in the playlist/library area, but in the big, main pane.)

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2004, 07:40 PM

Yeah, I'm sure he purposely did that, since the normal Aqua unread Mail dot is blue.
Ah. I see.

Speaking of blue, is it not possible yet to change the highlight color used when you single-click on an iTunes song? (Not the highlight color in the playlist/library area, but in the big, main pane.)
I was wondering this too. It doesn't even change when you switch to the graphite in the Appearance prefpane.

Sage
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2004, 08:34 PM

I was wondering this too. It doesn't even change when you switch to the graphite in the Appearance prefpane.
Yeah, I noticed that (I always use Graphite with AA... the blue highlights annoy me). Bugger. I think it's safe to assume though that Jason will eventually get to it.

bOOzo  (op)
Addicted to Themes
Apr 11, 2004, 03:50 AM

Still the greatest theme release EVER.
Yeah, well, since the green one is used to represent someone being online on ichat, it would be confusing to use the theme color for the unread mail. And I prefer it to be consistent so I used the blue for all variations.

Nope, not possible. They have hardcoded it in the same way they have hardcoded the background, probably.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2004, 07:48 AM

Thanks Max.

My powerbook looks divine because of the new theme. I have always loved AA!

I'm using the cryogenic variant with one of your Eylo desktops - they match beautifully.

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2004, 09:55 AM

Yeah, well, since the green one is used to represent someone being online on ichat, it would be confusing to use the theme color for the unread mail. And I prefer it to be consistent so I used the blue for all variations.
Oh right! I forgot about that green one because Adium is so much better than iChat.

smeger
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2004, 02:37 AM

Yeah, I noticed that (I always use Graphite with AA... the blue highlights annoy me). Bugger. I think it's safe to assume though that Jason will eventually get to it.
Sorry, you lost me. What am I eventually getting to, hopefully?
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2004, 02:52 AM

Originally posted by smeger:
the blue and grey system highlights around a selected text field or button.... i think.

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2004, 04:15 AM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
the blue and grey system highlights around a selected text field or button.... i think.
this conversation has been a bit hard to follow, so i'll chime in now with something that I hope is relevant. While it is possible to change the system-wide highlight color for text fields, system-wide text fields are not actually used system-wide. An example is the iTunes track info window... some text fields will have the custom look, some will have the default aqua blue, all right next to each other. For consistency's sake it's better to just not touch the highlight color.
DigitalRamen sucks.

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2004, 10:48 AM

I can't believe everyone is praising Max and this theme. The theme sucks, the extras suck. The entire theme is a lame attempt at creativity. Why don't you stick to something you're good at, like drinking coffee or something... lame, lame, lame!!!

NOT!

Fantastic work!!! I believe I shall shat myself when Cobalt is released!

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2004, 11:15 AM

Look how pretty my desktop looks.

thank you as always for the fantastic job ~

FB Eye
Senior User
Apr 12, 2004, 12:34 PM

Hey Max, most excellent job once again

It's true that you've managed to skin just about everything, but there's one thing I was expecting and that didn't make it: a matching cursor set!!!

It's a shame that most themers overlook the cursor, because it would make the makeover much more complete...

So Max, how about it?

Sage
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2004, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by smeger:
Oh, sorry 'bout that. What I mean is the bright blue highlight you see here (highlighting "New York City"):

What's particularly annoying is the fact that this highlight not only doesn't follow the regular theme's highlight, but also doesn't even follow the "Aqua/Graphite" preference in the Appearance prefpane... I have my system set to use Graphite right now (to make sure every last trace of blue is eradicated), but iTunes doesn't change its highlight color.

While I'm at it, you know the every-other-row coloring scheme? (Light blue, then white, then light blue, etc.) That also refuses to follow the Appearance settings. In Cocoa apps, that light blue changes to a light gray when Graphite is chosen (for example, in Safari's Downloads window), but again, iTunes it a stubborn mule...

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2004, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by FB Eye:
Hey Max, most excellent job once again

It's true that you've managed to skin just about everything, but there's one thing I was expecting and that didn't make it: a matching cursor set!!!

It's a shame that most themers overlook the cursor, because it would make the makeover much more complete...

So Max, how about it?
My cursor's match... Of corse not because of AA...

I took a cursor set on the Resexcellence Mighty Mouse page, then spent some time converting the color to match the green in the Toxic varient...

I'd put it online, however since the origional was made by someone else, I can't...

bOOzo  (op)
Addicted to Themes
Apr 15, 2004, 12:36 PM

I have thought about making a cursor set, but it's sort of unexplored territory for me and I think I would have a hard time to come up with anything better than Apple's own cursor. Possibly I could just make a wait cursor, I'll see.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2004, 02:30 PM

I have thought about making a cursor set, but it's sort of unexplored territory for me and I think I would have a hard time to come up with anything better than Apple's own cursor. Possibly I could just make a wait cursor, I'll see.
Apple's cursor is not better it's just the default. Take a look at Classic Red or Red Classic on Resex. That one goes well with most themes. Using it as we speak because it reminds me of the cursor on Amiga's

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2004, 02:39 PM

Oh, sorry 'bout that. What I mean is the bright blue highlight you see here (highlighting "New York City"):

<snip>

What's particularly annoying is the fact that this highlight not only doesn't follow the regular theme's highlight, but also doesn't even follow the "Aqua/Graphite" preference in the Appearance prefpane... I have my system set to use Graphite right now (to make sure every last trace of blue is eradicated), but iTunes doesn't change its highlight color.

While I'm at it, you know the every-other-row coloring scheme? (Light blue, then white, then light blue, etc.) That also refuses to follow the Appearance settings. In Cocoa apps, that light blue changes to a light gray when Graphite is chosen (for example, in Safari's Downloads window), but again, iTunes it a stubborn mule...
I think all of it is to do with the shared code in the windows port of iTunes. I remember reading somewhere about how iTunes (and quicktime) run the same code on both windows and mac, but with an emulation layer for the windows port... I'm not sure though, but it perhaps shows that there is some logic behind apple hard-coding system wide things into these two apps.
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

Forum Links
Forum Rules