Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Mighty Mouse!

Mighty Mouse! (Page 3)
MDWeezer
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2005, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
How is this anything special? There have been ambidextrous mice from the very beginning, and in fact non-ambidextrous mice are rarer on the whole.

tooki
Pretty much any logitech mouse is not ambidextrous, the nice ones anyway with all the bells and whistles; which are the only ones I would want.

I'm looking forward to playing with a Mighty Mouse but I think I will purchase one, my current 5 button mouse doesn't grip well and I'm always triggering dashboard on accident with one of the buttons.

Should be interesting as the reviews come flying in

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by viruscool
I take it that the rumour about having to lift your finger up while clicking with the other finger is false?

Would have to be false, as using both buttons at once is standard in XP.

It would make it very hard to move and copy files about if you could only use one button at once.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2005, 06:54 PM

Another question for those who have the mouse already:

I assume the gap between the scroll-button and the mouse-shell is ideal to suck in dirt and skinparticle/fat stuff etc. Can the mouse be opened so that you can easily clean the ball and the ball tracking mechanism? Current Apple mice unfortunately can not be opened at all.

viruscool
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2005, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by zoetrope
That is correct. No need to lift a finger when either clicking left or right. Instead of touch sensitive Apple should be promoting this mouse as pressure sensitive instead.
Thanks for the reply, I thought this would be the case, damn stupid internet rumours
(The dark lord has risen again......Beware)

burgessa23
Aug 2, 2005, 06:55 PM

what's with the speaker? is that true?

-andrew

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2005, 07:01 PM

http://homepage.mac.com/jboukheir/FileSharing4.html

Here's a short clip I recorded of me using the Mighty Mouse. It seems you DO have to lift your index finger off the left button in order to perform a right-click, but not vice-versa.

To answer some other rumors -- it appears there really is no "speaker", unless it sounds amazingly great and exactly like the pro mouse. The click feels exactly the same as before, with the whole top shell moving. There's no real way to discern if there actually is a speaker or not.

The mouse isn't meant to be taken apart, and there's about a millimeter gap between the ball and shell when you're scrolling, but the wheel sort of springs back up and closes the gap when you're not using it. It DOES come with a one year warranty, however.

The side buttons work pretty well, although you really DO have to give them a squeeze to activate them. It's almost impossible to activate them on accident. I wish Apple would have given you the option to adjust the sensitivity of the side buttons, since you almost have to give them too much squeeze.

The main reason I got the mouse is so games wouldn't give me any more problems. I refrained from buying Mac games in the past because I didn't like how they were tailored to two-button mice, and I really liked the Apple Pro Mouse. Now I can have the best of both worlds!

My only real gripe is that my mouse actually "squeals" like a real mouse when you go to click it! My Apple Pro Mouse did this for a couple weeks until it was broken in, so I'm not really worried.
( Last edited by OogaBooga; Aug 2, 2005 at 07:17 PM. )

f1000
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 07:12 PM

How is this anything special? There have been ambidextrous mice from the very beginning, and in fact non-ambidextrous mice are rarer on the whole.

tooki
Well, it'll be an advantage when they put out a BT version. As far as I know, the MX900 is only for righties, and I'm not too impressed with the quality of mice from manufacturers other than Apple or Logitech.

zoetrope
Aug 2, 2005, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by: TETENAL
I assume the gap between the scroll-button and the mouse-shell is ideal to suck in dirt and skinparticle/fat stuff etc. Can the mouse be opened so that you can easily clean the ball and the ball tracking mechanism?
The gap is there when you are operating the scroll ball. Its pressure sensitive, and the gap exists whether you're pressing it down as a button, or scrolling it in any direction. However, when the scroll ball is not in use, it sits flush with the outer shell with no visible gaps. It doesn't look like this mouse can be easily opened if at all. The appearance is nearly identical to Apple's previous mouse with no visible means of openings
-- Power Mac G5 Dual 2.7GHz | 2.5GB RAM | 2x250GB HDs | 16x SuperDrive | 20" ACD
-- PowerBook G4 12" 1.33GHz | 1.25GB RAM | 80GB HD | 4x SuperDrive
-- Mac mini G4 1.42GHz | 512MB RAM | 80GB HD | Combo Drive

d0dg3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2005, 07:38 PM

but surely when you are pressing down and scrolling with it and there is a larger gap, that is the most likely time that dirt, dust etc. will be transferred from your finger/hands to the ball and then gets its way into the mouse itself. And as has already been stated it is near impossible to get in and open it up to clean it.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by OogaBooga
There's no real way to discern if there actually is a speaker or not.
unplug it?

zoetrope
Aug 2, 2005, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by OogaBooga:
Here's a short clip I recorded of me using the Mighty Mouse. It seems you DO have to lift your index finger off the left button in order to perform a right-click, but not vice-versa
You know what, you're right. I never realized this because I never thought about it before, but every time I right click, my index finger is either over the scroll wheel (or now scroll ball) or I bend it. I guess I was bending or moving my index finger from away enough from the left button area that the right click worked. When I intentionally leave my index finger firmly over the left button area but press down on the right side, the right click does NOT activate. Sorry about that viruscool, wasn't paying close attention to how I actually use a mouse before. Glad I'm not an official reviewer for an ergonomics company, I'd be fired
-- Power Mac G5 Dual 2.7GHz | 2.5GB RAM | 2x250GB HDs | 16x SuperDrive | 20" ACD
-- PowerBook G4 12" 1.33GHz | 1.25GB RAM | 80GB HD | 4x SuperDrive
-- Mac mini G4 1.42GHz | 512MB RAM | 80GB HD | Combo Drive

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 07:40 PM

What's the big deal about the cord? i

I find that corded mice provide a better resolution and less jumpiness (is that a word?)

While I do enjoy my MX500, this mouse will certainly find a home with my PB.

Mike

Amorya
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 07:48 PM

Right - so both fingers == left click, and to get right click you lift your left finger off.

So... could someone answer me these?

Question One:
If you have primary click on the right button and secondary click on the left, what happens if you click both buttons? (I mean, click without lifting either finger off the mouse.) Does it still do primary click (which is now 'right' click)?

Question Two:
If you do not have primary click set anywhere, what happens if you press both buttons? For example, if left is dashboard and right is expose, what happens if you click with both fingers on the mouse?

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Frida's Boss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2005, 08:00 PM

i've used one. it feels kind of cheap and the scrolling ball seems like it could break rather easily. not the best feel either.

valdur
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2005, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by thunderous_funker
Does this mean they'll finally offer a multi-button trackpad for laptops? Every time I borrow my wife's iBook, within seconds I'm swearing up and down because I can't figure how to live without a right-click button.

Please, Apple. Multi-button trackpad. Please.

Have to say I'm leery of touch sensitive buttons. Definitely have to test drive it at the Apple store. Luckily they just opened one 3 blocks from my house.

why don't u try out Sidetrack ..turns all four corners into programmable functions and it also adds horizontal and vertical capabilities..it's really great...my trackpad is like the new mouse..one-button design with multi-button capabilities..

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 08:17 PM

Just a note: as someone who said he wouldn't buy a corded mouse, I'm not implying that the Mighty Mouse therefore sucks, or that nobody should buy it, or that it will be a colossal failure. Just that I prefer a cordless, and the cord prevents me from buying it.

And really, that's 'cause I'm a slob and always wind up with a stack of paper and junk atop my mouse cord..

Enjoy your Mighty Meese, cord-loving, multi-button-needing fellow Apple acolytes!

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2005, 08:22 PM

CONFIRMED:

The click sound is NOT made by a speaker. It's mechanical, similar to the Pro Mouse. I unplugged my mouse and it still clicked.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2005, 08:22 PM

Finally. Just finally. Hallelujah, Apple. It looks really sweet.

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2005, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Amorya
Right - so both fingers == left click, and to get right click you lift your left finger off.

So... could someone answer me these?

Question One:
If you have primary click on the right button and secondary click on the left, what happens if you click both buttons? (I mean, click without lifting either finger off the mouse.) Does it still do primary click (which is now 'right' click)?

Question Two:
If you do not have primary click set anywhere, what happens if you press both buttons? For example, if left is dashboard and right is expose, what happens if you click with both fingers on the mouse?

Amorya
Answer One:
Nope, I just switched the buttons (similar to left-hand), and it still acted the same way -- both fingers click = primary click.

Answer Two:
It is impossible to not have primary click set as one of the two main buttons. The Mouse software automatically assigns one button to primary click as soon as you try to change both.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2005, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by d0dg3
but surely when you are pressing down and scrolling with it and there is a larger gap, that is the most likely time that dirt, dust etc. will be transferred from your finger/hands to the ball and then gets its way into the mouse itself. And as has already been stated it is near impossible to get in and open it up to clean it.

I don't like this with Apple's mice. Jobs and Ive get a new mouse every other month and it's not an issue for them, but us mere mortals would like to use a 55€-mouse for a few years. And eventually you have to clean it!

Busemann
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 09:00 PM

I just don't get what's so cool about wireless mouses. You have to worry about batteries, they're heavy, they're more jerky and they are more expensive. Even more so with wireless keyboards.. What's the point!?

johnzoidberg
Aug 2, 2005, 09:53 PM

My Apple wireless mouse works flawlessly, I don't know what you guys are talking about. The only problem I can find is that it's a bit hefty.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 10:43 PM

I'm buying one.
I've got a Kensington Expert Mouse (trackball) thru one USB port on my G5 keyboard that my wife refuses to use.
I've got the plain jane Apple Mouse thru the other USB port on my G5 keyboard that I refuse to use.

Maybe with this I'll be back to a one mouse computer! And if not... um... I'm out 50 bucks or so.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 10:56 PM

I placed my order but this is strange: "MIGHTY MOUSE STAND ALONE KIT-USA"

What the heck is stand alone kit mean?
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

johnzoidberg
Aug 2, 2005, 10:57 PM

My order says that too. It doesn't mean anything; it means that the mouse you are ordering comes in a retail box, not bundled with a computer.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 2, 2005, 11:51 PM

the lack of bluetooth is not an issue with me as the mouse will stay parked next to my external keyboard and not hit the road; wireless is cool but not a necessity to me. i will go down to my local apple store (there are 3 within a 10 mile radius of my home) and try it out for myself. hopefully they will be in stock.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2005, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by valdur
why don't u try out Sidetrack ..turns all four corners into programmable functions and it also adds horizontal and vertical capabilities..it's really great...my trackpad is like the new mouse..one-button design with multi-button capabilities..
I'm actually using something called iScroll. It works just like the scrolling trackpad on newer Apple laptops, except it allows you to do right click with Two Fingers on Trackpad - Click.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Sage
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2005, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by teknopimp
i will go down to my local apple store (there are 3 within a 10 mile radius of my home) and try it out for myself.
Gah – you lucky lucky you! I have to drive 40 miles to Northridge just to get to the Apple store (and it's a really crappy Apple Store).

adonai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2005, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by dru
I wonder if they'll make this standard equipment.

Is there anything left of the Macintosh?

*sigh*

My mother might like one for her PC laptop. I'm content with my cheapo Logitech scroll mouse.

Does this mean UNSANITY has to rename their mouse pointer software?
Rather nostalgic about something you're not even using?

I'll be ditching my wireless Intellimouse for one of these

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2005, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by d0dg3
Why do people love making huge issues out of nothing?

Your current scroll mouse has a gap between the wheel and the mouse casing, when was the last time you cleaned gunk out of it?

I've had several MS mice for 5+ years and I'd never cleaned the wheel nor have I even thought about it.
MBP 1.83

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2005, 02:54 AM

Arghhh, so you mean the whole shell moves? I never got used to that with the Pro Mouse and ended up with a sleek two button, scroll-wheeled Logitech. Maybe I should dig my Pro Mouse out and give it a little practice again; maybe I was just using it wrong...

Originally Posted by Paco500
As for the worry about feedback on clicking- no worries- it feels, as best as I could tell not having one here- exactly like the current pro mouse- you know you are clicking- sounds the same too.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2005, 02:54 AM

I grabbed one of these guys today to replace my Microsoft IntelliMouse Blue that I've become rather unhappy with. The scroll ball takes a little getting used to but works really well. The click action feels identical to an APM. The side squeeze is not so sensitive that you will activate it randomly but might be just a tad too resistant to use constantly. I like the control software that comes with it because it basically turns the mouse into an Exposé/Dashboard control system. The scroll ball works great in GarageBand and iMovie to jog through the timeline. It also works extremely well scrolling Safari. Here's some of my own pictures.

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2005, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by alligator
I'm not impressed. I expect more from Apple. This is simply a combination of existing technologies and nothing new.

Now, how many of you are really going to keep your fingers hovering over the buttons, and never touch them unless you intend to make a "click"? There's a reason everyone else stuck with a true switch design instead of a touch sensitive design.

This has failure written all over it.
This is actually genius. You spend the majority of your time left-clicking. Whith MightyMouse, it left clicks when you have both buttons touching. That means that most of the time it behaves identical to the old mouse. However, when you really neeed to right click, you just lift up your left finger and press on your right. Something you shouldn't really need to do all the time.

This mouse ain't for games but for pro users that use their computers for work it's almost perfect.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2005, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Frida's Boss
i've used one. it feels kind of cheap and the scrolling ball seems like it could break rather easily. not the best feel either.
I highly value your evaluation, seeing as how #1- no one else remotely agrees with you, and #2- you have only been registered since May and posted a mere 15 times. Something tells me that you didn't use the other 14 posts to give positive reviews of Apple products.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2005, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by I was David B.
Can anyone update me? Is the usb cable for apple mice now longer than 30 centimeters?
Yes, the new mice have a cord of 70-75 cm...

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2005, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by zoetrope
You know what, you're right. I never realized this because I never thought about it before, but every time I right click, my index finger is either over the scroll wheel (or now scroll ball) or I bend it. I guess I was bending or moving my index finger from away enough from the left button area that the right click worked. When I intentionally leave my index finger firmly over the left button area but press down on the right side, the right click does NOT activate. Sorry about that viruscool, wasn't paying close attention to how I actually use a mouse before. Glad I'm not an official reviewer for an ergonomics company, I'd be fired
Actually, this is a good sign. If the only major quirk of the mouse goes unnoticed? It can't be a very serious of a quirk then

My website

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2005, 04:53 AM

I've just realised that what we've got here is a laser mouse, with a ball mouse mounted upside down ontop of it ! I wonder how long before we get the next evolution - a laser mouse with a laser 'scroll ball' ?

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2005, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce
I've just realised that what we've got here is a laser mouse, with a ball mouse mounted upside down ontop of it ! I wonder how long before we get the next evolution - a laser mouse with a laser 'scroll ball' ?
I guess we skipped the step where we have a ball mouse with a lazer scroll wheel.

My website

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2005, 05:01 AM

I use my Logitech Optical Wireless Trackman at work and at home but these new mouses intrigue me. Went and ordered one. If it doesn't do anything for me, I'll pass it on to the missus.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2005, 06:04 AM

anyone got any idea when they will be in the shops in Hong Kong?

Im there next week and want to pick one up.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2005, 06:25 AM

The thing I wouldn't like about not being able to press the other buttons while the primary click is down is that it would make it impossible to pick up a file via drag-and-drop, use the scroll ball as your Exposé button to switch windows, and then drop the file onto the window you switched to.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 3, 2005, 06:59 AM

I just had mine ship. I just recently purchased a mx1000 mouse from Logitech but I just had to try this one out. I don't mind the cord. I hate to keep loking at my mouse to see when the battery runs low. it's annoying I found out. As long as the scrollwheel click button can open a new tab in Safari i'm happy.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2005, 07:17 AM

Tooki, why wouldn't you want the MM to ship with all new Macs? Seems like the perfect solution to the one-button/two-button argument. Don't need/want a right click, then turn it off!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2005, 07:52 AM

Got mine about 30 minutes ago. I still prefer the Logitech Optical Trackman over it but it is a step the right direction for Apple.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Frida's Boss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2005, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Miniryu
I highly value your evaluation, seeing as how #1- no one else remotely agrees with you, and #2- you have only been registered since May and posted a mere 15 times. Something tells me that you didn't use the other 14 posts to give positive reviews of Apple products.
hehe a bunch of mac zealots on a mac board saying how great an apple product is. wow, what a surprise. you're all sheep. try it before you whine about my post and see if you agree, pokemon.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2005, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Frida's Boss
hehe a bunch of mac zealots on a mac board saying how great an apple product
Jeez dude try decaf.

There's nothing wrong with people getting excited for a new product.

Anyways for something completely different...

I picked up the new mouse and its interesting. I generally use the Logitech MX500 wireless mousefor my desktop. One of the things I don't like with a wireless mouse is the lag, and lack of precision. This (apples) is a nice mouse but I do miss the 3rd and 5th buttons that I could program to be my page up and page down buttons.

Overall this little baby will find a home on my PB as opposed to my desktop.

Mini-review
Construction appears and feels no different then Apple's other mice and unlike others, I think apple makes a solid mouse. I can use them for years and not have a problem.

Feels, much like the "regular" mouse but then you shouldn;t be surprised as its the same shape.

That little pimple is going to take some getting used to. I've found it useful, but I think a wheel works better. The advantage the pimple has over a wheel is it can go left/right. Perhaps if it was just a little bigger, it would be more useful imo.

Cord, short but we wouldn't expect anyhting else from apple

I wish apple released this in black or some sort of aluminum varient.

That's my $.02

Peace
Mike

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2005, 08:44 AM

Are we going to get a Mighty Keyboard to go with this now?

The current keyboard still has a clear plastic base, and to me at least, has been out of sync with the latest white/aluminium apple style.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2005, 09:11 AM

Has anyone else gotten shipping delays from the Apple Store Online? I ordered one yesterday with overnight shipping, and this morning, I received an email saying that my order will now ship On or Before 8/09

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2005, 10:04 AM

I thnk the internal speaker is to give a click sound to the scroll ball, like the way a scroll wheel has notches where you can feel it click to the next notch, the speaker clicks when it has moved around by the equivalent of a notch.

Thats the impression I get from the review here:
http://www.russellbeattie.com/notebook/1008561.html

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

CarbonG4
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2005, 10:06 AM

yeah hyperb0le, got the same email this morning

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

Forum Links
Forum Rules