Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Weird Boot-up Problems.

Weird Boot-up Problems.
kruskev
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2006, 12:05 AM

Well...After downloading a torrent file, my mac just froze (Not sure if the torrent file caused this). So I restarted the powerbook G4, and to my surprise, there was no "bong" sound that macs make at start up, and the log in screen won't pop up. It's just blank background screen. Is this a hardware problem or can a virus cause something like this? I would do a clean reinstall but I don't have the start up disc at the moment. Really would appreciate help thank you

sevendhappy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2006, 01:35 PM

Bump! I have this same problem. I tried running disc utility off of the start up disc and it said "The underlying task reported failure on exit (-9972)." I took my Pb into an Apple store to have it looked at, and they upon turning on my Pb and hearing the hard drive "clicking" said the hard drive was defective. I've only had my 12" Pb for 6 months too. Luckily I'm still under warranty to I can get it replaced, but I have to pay to find a place that'll do data recovery for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules