Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Pro [Macworld Official Thread]

MacBook Pro [Macworld Official Thread] (Page 13)
Higuchem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2006, 05:38 PM

I just rechecked my shipping date and its still the same for the Feb 15th but now added on arrival date Feb 21st. Does that mean there is no chance it will arrive sooner?

venom600
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2006, 05:51 PM

Boo, mine was placed on the 10th at 6PM PST and mine won't arrive until the 23rd. I guess that is what I get for buying from the educational store.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2006, 06:02 PM

I have a question regarding projected benchmarks.

Given that there are a few sets of benchmarks (Ars, Macworld) our regarding the new iMacs, I am wondering how the MBP will stack up to the previous generation of PowerBook, particularly with regard to Rosetta performance. The RAM differences across the machines being benchmarked make some of those comparisons tough, even between old and new iMacs, but hopefully there is something to be gleaned. While there is a very compelling argument to be made for a current iMac G5 owner to keep his or her current setup, I am wondering how all the math works out for current PowerBook owners. Can anyone who has read extensively on benchmarks between these two systems (or G4 versus G5-based systems in general) comment on this?

And not to be rude, but if you're really just pontificating and don't have any concrete, fact-based answers to my question, please don't reply. This thread is long enough, so adding junk to it in the form of "I sure hope it's faster" doesn't help anyone.

Thanks for the insights anyone can offer. I'm sure I'm not the only one debating the alternatives.
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2006, 06:16 PM

Do keep in mind, though, that Rosetta is just a temporary thing.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2006, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
Yes, but I can also keep my 1.67GHz as a temporary machine, too.
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

Jean-Loup
Jan 19, 2006, 07:22 PM

John, from what I have read (and I've read a lot in recent days on the MBP since I have ordered one) the MBP is about 4X as fast. With variable slow downs in Rosetta depeding on which app you use (if the app even works in Rosetta which is not the case of most pro apps) But if I were in your shoes, since you already have a PB 1.67, I would deffinately hold off on a new purchase till the next 1 or 2 revs. Your book if still a pretty capable machine and should be quite adequate for most jobs. I really don' see a point for you to upgrade just yet.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2006, 03:33 AM

John123, I'd try a simple estimate. If the iMac G5 is about 2x as fast as the 1.67GHz PB on the average, and we assume Rosetta emulation on the new iMac gives roughly 75% of the iMac G5's performance, I'd see about 1.5x speed increase going from the PB to the MBP when it comes to Rosetta.

Those numbers are just my impression, I wasn't able to find Barefeats benchmarks to back that up and I don't really trust XBench too much. If anybody has hard numbers feel free to add. But that's roughly how I'd try to estimate Rosetta performance. In the end, only real Rosetta benchmarks on the MBP will let us know for sure.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2006, 02:36 PM

There is a great website that has some terrific FAQs concerning the Apple transition to Intel:

http://appleintelfaq.com/

Pao|o
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2006, 04:04 PM

Do you folks think Apple will announce 12" or 13" models by Feb?

paul w
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2006, 04:22 PM

HEY GUYZ GREAT NEWS

"Apple Computer admits it may not be able to meet demand for its new Intel-driven laptops next month."

I frigging should have known. Now what? I might need to rethink things as the timing for me is rather tight to begin with. Sure I got my order in immediatly but still....

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2006, 04:30 PM

Checked my order status yesterday. Expected Delivery: February 21, 2006

J.
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2006, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Pao|o
Do you folks think Apple will announce 12" or 13" models by Feb?

more likely summer... (but i'm also hoping sooner...)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Jan 20, 2006, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing
more likely summer... (but i'm also hoping sooner...)
it'll be before summer, I can promise you that.

tikki
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2006, 07:43 PM

Just a point of reference, I ordered a MacBook this morning and have the following ship dates of February 15 and Delivery Date of February 21. There isnt a snowball's chance in hell that it will be delivered on time. Mark my words. :-)

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2006, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by tikki
Just a point of reference, I ordered a MacBook this morning and have the following ship dates of February 15 and Delivery Date of February 21. There isnt a snowball's chance in hell that it will be delivered on time. Mark my words. :-)
Mine is a BTO placed within minutes of the announcement, still shows a feb 15 shipping date.

Peabo
Senior User
Jan 20, 2006, 08:14 PM

Mine won't say the delivery date, but it still says 7th feb for ship date. Bear in mind I'm in the UK.
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

inkhead
Senior User
Jan 20, 2006, 09:40 PM

Temporary as in like well over a year?

Adobe/Macromedia = end of 2006 Microsoft, maybe mid 2006

Hell even Apple not until may lol

Originally Posted by analogika

inkhead
Senior User
Jan 20, 2006, 09:44 PM

I think it will ship about 3 weeks before it's outdated, which means that 3 weeks after THAT you'll be able to again pre-order the next revision.

SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2006, 10:38 PM

Keeping in mind the ship dates you are seeing, when do you think we will see them popping up in AppleStores?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2006, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by inkhead

Check your calendar, mid 2006 and the end of 2006 are less than a year away.

Apple's pro apps will be universal in March.

boombashi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2006, 11:59 PM

Ordered MBP 1.83 w/7200rpm upgrade about 1/2 hour after the Store came online - Estimate ship 15th, Estimate arriaval 23rd I can live with those dates but not much longer than that.

Who knows if this is true or reliable but this is from looprumors.com (a very new rumors site, I haven't lost hope

"Reliable sources have told LoopRumors that Apple's ship date for the MacBook Pro is overestimated. Currently, orders placed indicate an "Estimated Ship Date" of February 15th. However, early orders of MacBooks should begin shipping in the first two weeks of February according to information we gathered.

Apple expects a very strong demand for these units as PowerBooks (now coined MacBooks) have not seen a major upgrade in processor speed in about a year."

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 21, 2006, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by boombashi
"Reliable sources have told LoopRumors that Apple's ship date for the MacBook Pro is overestimated. Currently, orders placed indicate an "Estimated Ship Date" of February 15th. However, early orders of MacBooks should begin shipping in the first two weeks of February according to information we gathered.

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2006, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by inkhead

I thought Apple pro apps will come out Intel compatible in March?

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

boombashi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2006, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
I doubt they have any reliable info at all, but it could happen and it makes total sense. 1st 2 weeks in Feb isn't that much earlier, and Apple, Dell, Amazon and I'm sure many others put later than usual ship dates on products that they don't have available or in stock. In fact I can't remeber the last time that I have ordered anything online that hasn't shipped slightly earlier than expected (exceot once when I ordered a camera lens from Dell that was backordered for like 2 months). They are going to be short on supply, but that doesn't mean there will be NO supply. Early birds will get theirs as soon as they are available, late birds will have to wait until initial orders are filled and could find delays in shipments if Apple cannot meet demand. I don't find it unlikely at all, adn if you do why? It's not like they don't know how to build computers, they are probably delayed because of supply issues related to Intel or some other vendor. It's in Apple's best interest to get these out to their customers as soon as possible.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 21, 2006, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by boombashi
I doubt they have any reliable info at all, but it could happen and it makes total sense. 1st 2 weeks in Feb isn't that much earlier, and Apple, Dell, Amazon and I'm sure many others put later than usual ship dates on products that they don't have available or in stock.
Of course, hence the

All Apple has to do is ship one day early (which they usually do for at least a few of the machines) and that so-called prediction comes true. Feb. 14 is within the "1st 2 weeks in Feb" time frame.

SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2006, 04:10 PM

Well just to see what it would be, I put in an order for a macbook pro yesterday and it came up with a shipping date of feb 15th (still). I did end up cancelling it (so I wont be taking up one from someone else just yet) I really would like to just go and pick one up.

boombashi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2006, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Of course, hence the

All Apple has to do is ship one day early (which they usually do for at least a few of the machines) and that so-called prediction comes true. Feb. 14 is within the "1st 2 weeks in Feb" time frame.
Ahhh - I thought you were ing because you were thinking there is no way they will ship early. Yes it was pretty stupid "prediction" but I am personally hoping for right aroung the 1st of Feb. and I have "reliable" sources living in my head

MacChickenPro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2006, 08:13 PM

I love my MacChicken Pro! He is really fast flying bird and looks like Mac but it's a PC bird. :-D
I hope don't get chicken flu any time soon.

boombashi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2006, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by SpinCycle
Well just to see what it would be, I put in an order for a macbook pro yesterday and it came up with a shipping date of feb 15th (still). I did end up cancelling it (so I wont be taking up one from someone else just yet) I really would like to just go and pick one up.

I'm kind of curious how well the iMacs Core Duos are selling...I think they are sold out most everywhere, though with a constant updated supply. I was at my local Apple store which isn't the best know for being that busy, and the place was freakin packed, at least 50 people in there. It's a small mall store, not even close to a flag ship. They just got a shipment in with both iMacs.

I was suprised how clueless some of the Apple sales people were at that store. They didn't even know that the Intel iMacs had two 1.83ghz cores. They were telling people it was split for a total of 1.83mhz. I overheard one telling some customers as they walked out the door, "It's best to wait until all the bugs are figured out before you buy one"...I wanted to tell him, "DUDE, WHAT BUGS ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!" I haven't heard of any real bugs, other than maybe a few little bugs with iLife that will be fixed in a update soon. Man - WAY TO SELL IT!

Oh if you are wondering why I am talking about iMacs, they have the same specs as the MacBook, so I wanted to test performance. Overall, iLife and all the OS X apps run pretty nice...no spinning beachballs. I played with MS Office under Rosetta, and it worked just fine, although I hate MS Office and never use it. They didn't have Photoshop installed, and I was a little bummed to not be able to test that. But I can kinda see why they don't really want to show off the machine running Rosetta, but still people want to know what they are getting into.

Higuchem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2006, 10:57 PM

My question about magsafe is how safe is it to the hard drive? If I place my plug near the hard drive will it cause harm and need to keep the plug away from the hard drive?

schalliol
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2006, 11:02 PM

I wondered the same thing, though I'm sure Apple thought of this and I'm not worried.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Peabo
Senior User
Jan 22, 2006, 12:56 AM

I thought that hard-drives nowadays are protected from magnets.
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

ero2
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2006, 01:05 AM

I have kind of a dumb question maybe, but aren't the imacs using the dual core centrinos? And aren't the centrinos mobile processors, meaning that the performace of the chip, while using less power, underpowered processingwise?

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2006, 01:09 AM

Technically, the Centrino is NOT a processor. It is a combination of a chipset, processor, and wireless chipset.
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

ero2
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2006, 01:13 AM

ah, definitely makes mroe sense now. Thanks.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2006, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by z0ne81
I thought that hard-drives nowadays are protected from magnets.
I managed to scramble a 60 GB 7200 HD installed in this revA PB using the magnetic base holder from an Apple iSight camera.

Pretty stupid, I know -- but it makes me just a little leary of this magsafe connector. I figure Apple must keep the magnet in the laptop, just a metal piece on the mobile end of the powercord to avoid this very problem happening if the magnet / cord are reversed.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2006, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by ero2
I have kind of a dumb question maybe, but aren't the imacs using the dual core centrinos? And aren't the centrinos mobile processors, meaning that the performace of the chip, while using less power, underpowered processingwise?
As someone else already pointed out, Centrino is a platform not a CPU.
Core Duo is a relatively low power chip, designed for desktop and mobile use. Look at all the benchmarks, they're far from underperforming compared to other desktops.

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Jan 22, 2006, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
As someone else already pointed out, Centrino is a platform not a CPU.
Core Duo is a relatively low power chip, designed for desktop and mobile use. Look at all the benchmarks, they're far from underperforming compared to other desktops.
definitely true, they flat out spank most all of the Pentium IVs, and keep up pretty decently w/ the Athlon 64s (though they won't in 64-bit apps obviously as Yonah is a 32-bit processor) but it's a great step for Intel to return to the real world where NetBorst was a stupid idea all along. that's the kind of **** that happens when you let a marketing department run a chip firm.

Yonah is quite good though.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 22, 2006, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Higuchem
My question about magsafe is how safe is it to the hard drive? If I place my plug near the hard drive will it cause harm and need to keep the plug away from the hard drive?
PowerBooks have had magnets in their lids (to draw out the little lid holding catches) for quite a while, and the sleep sensors in the lid also make use of magnets. And don't forget about the iMac's magnetic holder for the Apple remote. I wouldn't worry about it.

boombashi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2006, 09:23 AM

Just make sure to keep you Giant Electro Magnets away from the hard drive - those are the only things that would even have a chance of damaging the data on you hard drive. Unless your into the whole floppy disk thing, but I think they offer therapy for that

CDs/DVDs = No
Hard Drives = No (not with anything in the strength of a common kitchen magnet)
Flash Media = Nope.
Floppy Disk = God Help Us.

Voch
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2006, 11:01 AM

Maybe the MagSafe cord connector is metal and the magnet part is in the PowerBook iteself? We'll find out soon.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2006, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Voch
Maybe the MagSafe cord connector is metal and the magnet part is in the PowerBook iteself? We'll find out soon.
I played with this at MacWorld and I'm pretty sure the magnet is on the cable, not the MacBook. I wish I'd looked harder. I do remember that there is no "right side up" to the connector. It worked both ways.

Chris

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2006, 01:06 PM

Did anyone test dropping a paper clip near magnet and see if it was sucked up and short out?!

tikki
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2006, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by romeosc
Did anyone test dropping a paper clip near magnet and see if it was sucked up and short out?!

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

timmerk
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2006, 07:52 PM

My brother needs one of these before March 10th - think it's possible if he hasn't ordered yet?

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Jan 22, 2006, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by timmerk
My brother needs one of these before March 10th - think it's possible if he hasn't ordered yet?
sure, in store.

Yonidass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2006, 04:04 PM

Here's some interesting news for those considering the MacBook:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/01/23/core.duo.errors/

rhashem
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2006, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Yonidass
Here's some interesting news for those considering the MacBook:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/01/23/core.duo.errors/
In the interest of full disclosure:

The G5 (970FX) has 24 errata: http://www-306.ibm.com/chips/techlib/techlib.nsf/techdocs/79B6E24422AA101287256E93006C957E/$file/970fx_errata_dd3.x_v1.6.pdf

The G4 (MPC7447A) has 26 errata:
http://www.freescale.com/files/32bit...MPC7447ACE.pdf

The Opteron has 87 errata:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...docs/25759.pdf

Not all errata are created equal. Most errata are corner cases in the handling of performance counters or memory management. Simply comparing the numbers is meaningless without considering their type and sevarity.

Peabo
Senior User
Jan 24, 2006, 12:46 PM

My order status just got updated, and it has an estimated delivery date of February 14th. Not the best day to have to stay home waiting for a delivery & set up a computer really, huh?

boombashi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2006, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by z0ne81
My order status just got updated, and it has an estimated delivery date of February 14th. Not the best day to have to stay home waiting for a delivery & set up a computer really, huh?
This is the second post I've seen from the UK that have had their ship dates changed to earlier. What's up with dat!? Us Yankees still have Feb. 15th for a ship date, 23rd for delivery

Did you customize it at all? If so, you SUCK...no fair

Forum Links
Forum Rules