Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Is a iMac 500MHZ blueberry Possible?

Is a iMac 500MHZ blueberry Possible?
imacguy309
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2007, 06:49 PM

I can't find a blueberry iMac 500mhz anywhere online, although I just purchased one off of Craigslist? Am I being mis-lead...?

Thanks,
iMacguy309

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2007, 06:59 PM

Go to Apple-history.com and look, both the "early 2001" and the "summer 2001" iMacs appear in blue and can have a 500Mhz processor.

Jumbonium2007
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2007, 07:11 PM

I have a blueberry 500... however I did replace the 400mhz logic board and put a 500 in it.. thats how it could have happened or someone could have just changed the shells on the mac

P
Jun 28, 2007, 04:35 AM

There were no stock Blueberry 500 MHz iMacs. There were blue 500 MHz iMacs, but they were Indigo (a much darker color). Either someone has replaced the motherboard like the poster above said, or it was overclocked (quite easy with a soldering iron).

imacguy309  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2007, 11:24 PM

I guess i was miss lead, I recieved my iMac today and it turns out the blueberry is actually a Graphite! My seller must be color blind. I'm totally excited about this one though, final cut studio, and Maya...What is maya anyway anybody know?

thanks ya'll
iMacguy 309

P
Jun 30, 2007, 10:25 AM

Maya is a 3D animation program - but if it was just preinstalled, did you get the install discs as well? It's probably piracy if you didn'.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2007, 12:51 PM

you actually think you can run FCP studio on a 500 mhz g3 ?
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

imacguy309  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2007, 10:10 PM

Yes i did get the discs for maya, and Yeah I am using FCP3 Studio just fine... why wht's the big deal with running a FCP studio on a 500MHZ?

An i got OS X 10.2 & 10.3 & Classic 9 Discs all for $45, did I get a good deal you think ya'll? and... Apple pro keyboard and Mouse!

Thanks to all...
iMacGuy309

imacguy309  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2007, 10:23 PM

I've noticed, that when i start up my iMac 500MHZ (graphite); there's a ? mark folder & Mac Face folder Flashing @ Start up. What is this and should I be concerned?

Thanks Ya'll!
iMacGuy309

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2007, 01:04 AM

Click no the Apple Menu, select System Preferences and choose Startup Disk. Click on your hard drive in that window to select it, then restart and see if that continues. Usually when you see the flashing question mark and then eventually it starts up, it means the startup disk isn't selected (which makes the computer search around a while before finding it). If that continues there's either something wrong with the drive or the system software on it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

P
Jul 3, 2007, 05:13 AM

Do as Big Mac says, but if it doesn't help, don't worry about it. Some HDs are slow to spin up, and then you get that.

imacguy309  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2007, 10:11 AM

Thanks! I went into the startup disc and changed it to boot on Mac OS X, now that problem is resolved... Why is it a bad idea to run FCP 3 on a 500MHZ iMac G3?

Thanks Ya'll,

iMacGuy309

Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2007, 07:41 PM

It's not so much a bad idea, it's just that that's an old, slow computer and a newer, more demanding piece of software.

Given that My 800 MHz G4 eMac can't run FCP well, I can't see how a 500 MHz G3 would work at all.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2007, 07:58 PM

Final Cut 3 will be fine on the iMac. Studio though isn't even supposed to run on anything under a 800 MHz G4 (although Final Cut Express runs on my 533 MHz G4 just fine).

Forum Links
Forum Rules