Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > NEW DP533 ... What's With The Cables??

NEW DP533 ... What's With The Cables??
tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2001, 01:53 PM

Got my new DP533 yesterday. No complaints. But...

There are two cables included with the unit. One looks like a firewire cable, but one end has a much smaller connector. There is also a USB cable, with one end containing a large, white shielded cover. Can anyone tell me exactly what these are for?

And...could they possibly make the keyboard cable any shorter??? It barely reaches the computer.

cygnusx1
Feb 20, 2001, 02:10 PM

you actually answered your own question. the USB cable is an extender for the keyboard, and it is keyed in such a way that it will only work with the keyboard (not the mouse, unless you do a little rework). the firewire cable is just for convenience in case you happen to have a vcam or something laying around.

Mac Boy
Feb 20, 2001, 02:12 PM

There are two cables included with the unit. One looks like a firewire cable, but one end has a much smaller connector.
This is for connecting your Mac's firewire connector with the smaller non-powered connector on Digital Camcorders, to use iMovie.

There is also a USB cable, with one end containing a large, white shielded cover. Can anyone tell me exactly what these are for?

And...could they possibly make the keyboard cable any shorter??? It barely reaches the computer.
This is a USB extension cable. Apple intended for you to use it with your keyboard so it's not so short. They make it short for people with Apple monitors that have USB connectors right on the monitor. Other users that need to connect the keyboard directly to the computer can use the extension cable.

- Ross

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2001, 05:14 PM

Small problem with that, though. I have my pro keyboard connected to the monitor. But when I have the Optical Pro Mouse daisychained off my keyboard, there isn't enough power going through the USB to acurately power the Pro Mouse. It would turn on and off and lose tracking.

I have to plug it into the main USB port on my G4 itself. This posed a problem since it's enclosed in a cabinate and the extension cable only works with the keyboard.

Go figure.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Cipher13
Feb 20, 2001, 08:26 PM

I strongly recommend plugging the keyboard straight into the G4 with the extender cable - problems can arrise if you don't.
Number 1 port if possible.
The FireWire cable is FireWire connecter to iLink connector I think.

Cipher13

kkneisley
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2001, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by olePigeon:

...when I have the Optical Pro Mouse daisychained off my keyboard, there isn't enough power going through the USB to acurately power the Pro Mouse. It would turn on and off and lose tracking.
Be sure that your mousing surface is not glossy or printed. This includes simulated wood desktops (they are actually printed, check it out with a mag glass.) My big ol honkin' Intellimouse Explorer is pretty good about my glossy desktop, but worked much better when I put it on a no-image mouse pad, the type with a mild textured plastic on top. NO CLOTH!

What is did was lose tracking info and suddenly the cursor jumped to the lower right corner of my screen (or if I was fraggin' in Q2 I'd suddenly be staring at my feet and got a rocket up my...) Basically, it was very annoying.

NeoMac
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2001, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
The FireWire cable is FireWire connecter to iLink connector I think.
Cipher13
FireWire and iLink are exactly the same thing. SONY chooses to call FireWire as iLink, since these PC focused companies hate to admit they need to use Apple technology in their products.
"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

mjpaci
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2001, 05:08 PM

The small Firewire connector is the unpowered connector. This doesn't make sense... hold on...

Firewire CAN carry power but it doesn't have to. Devices that will never use the power feature AND be at the end of the chain can then use the small connector. Other devices that don't need the power but could use it or have a second port that would have a device that needs power connected need to use the 'larger' firewire connector.

--Mike

applenut1
Senior User
Feb 21, 2001, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by NeoMac:
FireWire and iLink are exactly the same thing. SONY chooses to call FireWire as iLink, since these PC focused companies hate to admit they need to use Apple technology in their products.

no they are not.

iLink= 4 pin/no power
firewire= 6 pin/power

Joe Cool
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2001, 07:22 PM

The FireWire Cable is fro hooking up things like cameras. Simple as thay. iLink is FireWire with out power. Sony and Apple made FireWire together.

krove
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2001, 12:26 AM

iLink and FireWire are the same thing. It's just like with USB: There's an A-type plug (larger) and a B-type plug (smaller). IEEE-1394 (FireWire, iLink, whatever) has an A-type (larger) and a B-type (smaller). The cable included with the G4 is an A-to-B cable.

krove

------------------
*The next sentence is entirely true...
*The previous sentence is most decidedly false...

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2001, 03:17 AM

Actually, i.Link is just thier name for FireWire . . . . Really, in fact, look at the Vaio products with ports, they're called i.Link.

Look at this URL:
http://www.sony.com/cgibin/search.cg...s=i.Link&nh=10

You'll even see that they put IEEE-1394 as (IEEE-1394)

Thanks for playin'!
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Forum Links
Forum Rules