Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > CD-DVD ROM Drive in Pismo

CD-DVD ROM Drive in Pismo
joeswell
May 27, 2002, 01:44 PM

Anyone have any tricks to revive a CD-DVD ROM drive in a Powerbook G3 "Pismo?" Last night I was playing a game and when I finished a put the computer to "sleep" with the CD in the drive. When I returned an hour later, the computer had shut down. It felt "warm" around the drive bay and it wouldn't restart until I pressed the reset button on the back. The computer started back up, but now I can't mount any disks in the drive. It won't even spin.

Can something on the drive have "burned out?" This is the third removeable drive I've had. The first two also exhibited the same behavior.
It's not getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

TomHMeredith
Forum Regular
May 27, 2002, 02:08 PM

I sometimes have problems mounting media via my DVD drive (is that an example of RAS syndrome?!?!) I find I have to take the drive out, put a battery in its place, then put the drive back in, and then the disk.

No idea as to why though!!

Tom
What are you looking for? A signature?

joeswell  (op)
May 27, 2002, 11:36 PM

Thanks for the reply.

What is the RAS Syndrome?

How can I get the battery to fit in the right compartment? Do I have to buy another ("right handed?") battery?

I will greatly appreciate any advice anyone might have.

skyman
Mac Elite
May 27, 2002, 11:59 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by joeswell:
<strong>Thanks for the reply.

What is the RAS Syndrome?

How can I get the battery to fit in the right compartment? Do I have to buy another ("right handed?") battery?

I will greatly appreciate any advice anyone might have.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">You are joking right???? The batt will fit in either the left or right bay.
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

joeswell  (op)
May 28, 2002, 03:51 PM

No joking from me. The Apple guy told me that I am "SOL." He says that there are no recalls or any "known" issues with the CD drives in the "Pismo" model and that it will cost $49.00 just to talk to me, even if the advice doesn't "revive" the drive. It doesn't make any sense to buy a new Apple drive so I will look for a Third Party drive. Any advice on what to buy?

PS: I never had a reason to remove the battery so I wouldn't know if it would fit in the other bay.

ranga
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2002, 08:09 PM

I had a similar problem with my Pismo's DVD drive. It would randomly
stop reading discs (mostly CD-RWs, but one or two DVDs as well). I
cleaned the metal surface on the inside of the drive with a damp cloth
and my problems seem to have disappeared for the time being.

I looked into buying a Apple replacement drive but they are quite
expensive. The only viable alternative I've found is to buy a PC
laptop drive and use it:

<a href="http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/PB_G3/oem_combo_drives/notebook_combo_drive.html" target="_blank">http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/PB_G3/oem_combo_drives/notebook_combo_drive.html</a>

--ranga

Forum Links
Forum Rules