Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Power Mac 8550

Power Mac 8550
joeswell
Jul 3, 2001, 02:54 PM

I am attempting to install a Sonnet Crescendo G4 Upgrade card on our school's old Power Mac 8550 Workgroup server.

While, I am not a complete idiot and have installed RAM in Macs before, I am a bit baffled about removing the logic board to remove the Level 2 cache card. First of all, do I really have to remove this card? Second of all, where can I find instructions on removing the logic board on the 8550? I would feel much better if I could see a couple of photographs. Where could I find some instructions on removing the logic board from the 8550?

The reason why I am doing this (or trying to do this) in the first place is that our school has switched to (ugh) all Dell Computers and our tech guys won't touch any of the old Macs, even if it means letting the Crescendo G4 Upgrade card and money they spent on it go to waste.

All help you might give me, or to "point me in the right direction" would be greatly appreciated.

Joe Sullivan
It's not getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

ericdelangen
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2001, 03:39 PM

it should be just like the powermac 8500, right? If I remember correctly there is a page at http://macgurus.com that details what you need to do to take the thing apart. Hope this helps!

itomato
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2001, 08:45 PM

It's pretty simple to do. Here's a link to the official Apple service pdf.

LINK-A-ROONIE

All the rest of the manuals are there, too! All of them!
-- | T () /\/\ /.\ T () --

Cipher13
Jul 4, 2001, 02:42 AM

Pretty much identical to the 8500 - completely identical, hardware wise.

The '50' designation means 'server'.

Yes, you must remove the L2, the upgrade probably has its own.

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2001, 08:52 AM

"It's pretty simple to do." that's a riot Tomato...
I've had an 8500 since '97 and the word "simple" is not in its maintenance dictionary...

Really, tho, it's not bad, just time consuming.

Remove all PCI cards, processor card and unplug AV module(don't think the 8550 had that)
Disconnect all the cables, internal and external from the MoBo.
Remove the Phillips screw in the center of the MoBo.
Slide the MoBo forward 1/4-1/2 inch and lift a tab, lean and tilt it out.
The L2 card will likely be very hard to get out. be persistent, rock it gently.
If you are inserting RAM in slots that have been open a few years, plug each module n several times to clean the contacts.
This would be a real good time to blow everything out, esecially the power suply, with comressed air.
If the Sonnet carrier has adjustments for bus speed, the official range is 40-50 MHz (my 8500 is at 56.8 MHz)

This will probably take an hour or so the first time, should be able to hit 30-40 min with practice.

joeswell  (op)
Jul 5, 2001, 11:34 PM

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question. I think I feel comfortable attempting to install this card now. I truly appreciate all the advice and encouragement you folks have given me.

Now my next problem is getting the computer back, since our school's tech guy has assigned it to another teacher who wants it to run "Math Blasters" and other 10 year old software. I tried explaining that with the new processor card, it would be a G4 ... and a very powerful computer, and that most of this math software will run on an LCII, but I think my pleas are falling on deaf ears. Pray for me.

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Jul 9, 2001, 09:55 PM

A bit off topic, but does anyone know where I can get the lowest prices on DIMMs for the 8500. The lowest I've seen so far is datamem.com (128MB for $59, but since they should be installed in pairs that would be about $118).
Who'sDaMac?

WillyB
Jul 9, 2001, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by I'mDaMac:
<STRONG>A bit off topic, but does anyone know where I can get the lowest prices on DIMMs for the 8500. The lowest I've seen so far is datamem.com (128MB for $59, but since they should be installed in pairs that would be about $118).</STRONG>
They don't have to be in pairs neccessarily... http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart...mbppc8500.html
-- "Does Microsoft mean 'small & limp?'

joeswell  (op)
Jul 10, 2001, 03:18 PM

About adding RAM to 8500:

One of the things Sonnet said to to do when I install the Processor upgrade is to "de-interleave" the RAM. Their tech support guy said G3 and G4 processors "don't like" interleaved RAM. Don't know if this helps, but thought I'd pass it along. Thanks again to everyone who helped me out.

joeswell  (op)
Jul 10, 2001, 03:23 PM

One more thing: I was thinking as long as I'm ripping the computer apart to install a G4 processor, would it really be worth it to install a larger hard drive and maybe add a PCI card for Firewire or USB? I figured that that might cost another 300-400 bucks. Would it be worth it? Our school will probably never buy another Mac in my lifetime and an upgraded computer would be better than the stinkin' Dells their buying.

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Jul 10, 2001, 07:01 PM

a b
Originally posted by joeswell:
<STRONG>One more thing: I was thinking as long as I'm ripping the computer apart to install a G4 processor, would it really be worth it to install a larger hard drive and maybe add a PCI card for Firewire or USB? I figured that that might cost another 300-400 bucks. Would it be worth it? Our school will probably never buy another Mac in my lifetime and an upgraded computer would be better than the stinkin' Dells their buying.</STRONG>
I have an 8500 (Newer G3/400) that I upgraded with a Sonnet Tango (combo USB/FireWire) card last year. It breathed new life into my trusty ole Mac. I was/am able to buy any USB mouse on the market (Microsoft Wheelmouse Optical, BTW), not to mention any other USB peripheral on the market. I also put together an external FireWire HD that I'll be able to use with the new G4 I plan on buying later this year. IMHO, it was a good investment for a great machine.
Who'sDaMac?

itomato
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2001, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by I'mDaMac:
<STRONG>A bit off topic, but does anyone know where I can get the lowest prices on DIMMs for the 8500. The lowest I've seen so far is datamem.com (128MB for $59, but since they should be installed in pairs that would be about $118).</STRONG>
Other World Computing

$45.95 for 128MB!
-- | T () /\/\ /.\ T () --

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2001, 09:26 PM

I didn't hear about "de-interleaving" until after I had a G3-400 OEM ZIF and XLR8 carrier card running at 454 with 240MB still interleaved.
It had its first night powered down in a year last week, cause I forgot to feed SUM some SETI units.

I also think that it's worth the extra bucks for EDO RAM vs. FPM.
At least I did then...

z

Forum Links
Forum Rules