Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Ubero stalls... why?

Ubero stalls... why?
cdhostage
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2002, 05:50 PM

I've noticed that once in a while, Ubero seems to stop working. I leave my iMac crunching Ubero all day, and when I come back at nightand notice that it says "SENDING WORK RESULTS TO SERVER" and the message doesn't change. So it seems that it's been stuck like that for hours without crunching or getting nw WU. In short, getting nowhere.

Why does it do this? Will it be fixed in Ubero 0.8?
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

kkneisley
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2002, 05:58 PM

There are a few known issues revolving around this. I read on the Ubero forum that you can use a different port to try to remedy this.

Best bet would be to read a bit there to see if it is related, and post for assistance if it isn't.

The_Equivocator
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2002, 07:14 PM

Are you using the command line version? So far I've only heard reports of this happening on the Mac OS X GUI version. I may be completely mistaken, but I would try running it from the command line for a day or two and see if that clears things up (plus, you'll crunch many more units per day, especially if you use the memory tweak mentioned on the other Ubero thread).

Crunch Something

cdhostage  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2002, 07:43 PM

Now I'm running it frrom the Command Line. I dunno whether this still happens.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 15, 2002, 08:13 PM

It's a bug on the server side, hopefully it will be fixed soon.
If you look at my ubero stats, you'll notice most of my agents are dead
That's this bug hitting all my clients.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

kkneisley
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2002, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by cdhostage:
<STRONG>Now I'm running it frrom the Command Line. I dunno whether this still happens.</STRONG>
Yeah, it happens. I got caught once or twice. Check on your connection log at the ubero stats site, as it tells of your last connection.

There is a temporary(?) fix that deals with changing the ports from 80 to 443. This problem seems to be fault of web caching servers between the agents and Ubero.

See the Ubero forums for more info.

BTP
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2002, 10:24 PM

I experienced the same thing. I ran the client from the terminal and noticed that for some long period of time the results couln't be sent to the server.

Well, I guess it would affect everyone, so no one is getitng an unfair advantage.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

cdhostage  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2002, 03:45 PM

Yeah, I had the same problem with my command line Ubero now. GRRR!

I'll try that thing, changing the port to 443.

cdhostage  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2002, 03:48 PM

OK, changed it.

Dunno if it makes a difference. I'll just leave it running. If it's still working tomorrow, I'll say it's a suceess.

cdhostage  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2002, 05:40 PM

Hmm.

I went in under the GUI and changed the Port setting to 443. Exited, went back in to see if the setting stuck. It did.

Exited again, started up under the CLI with the script suggested somewhere else on this forum... the one that alloted extra memory to the program. Maybe this startup is getting in the way,but..

I'm still experiencing the stop-cunrching-and-do-nothing whenever it fails to send results back to the server. It just stops doing anythin, and my computer time is wasted. But it's on port 443! Is this problem fixable?

<mikkyo>
Jan 17, 2002, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by cdhostage:
<STRONG>I'm still experiencing the stop-cunrching-and-do-nothing whenever it fails to send results back to the server. It just stops doing anythin, and my computer time is wasted. But it's on port 443! Is this problem fixable?</STRONG>
I get the stalls everyday both sending and requesting work.
There doesnt seem to be any good solution right now.
I suggested on another thread someone write a shell script that checks for agent processes gone idle and restarts them so we don't have to monitor them. This may be the only options for now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules