Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.1 modem problems still there!

10.1 modem problems still there!
lawrenceg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2001, 06:57 AM

Seam to still be getting modem problems in 10.1. Instead of the dreaded 264 error every few minutes I am now getting a more polite message which amounts to the same thing!

Very disappointing because everything else in 10.1 rocks..

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2001, 07:29 AM

Wow, I can read this forums again! How impressive! And I can post too! What a pleasant gift from MacNN team!

Anyway about the modem thing in 10.1, same here and I also suffered again the dreaded and frustating complete freeze when connecting. However in 10.1 only last a few seconds some times, in 10.0.4 one time my Mac was locked up for ten minutes.

It is the one and only major bug I have found in 10.1.

sungwoo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2001, 09:41 AM

You guys are still lucky.
For me, I can't even connect to internet.
System gives me an error "Connection script failed".
I can't hear the modem sound neither.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2001, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by sungwoo:
<STRONG>You guys are still lucky.
For me, I can't even connect to internet.
System gives me an error "Connection script failed".
I can't hear the modem sound neither. </STRONG>
Are you using a Powerbook G3 or something? I had this exact same error! I tried everything I could think of and finally had to switch the selected modem in the modem control panel in system prefs. I had to deselect the internal Apple 56k modem and select the one just underneath it, the Apple Personal Modem, or whatever it's called. And you know what, I could connect to the internet. Now the connect speed doesn't show up at all, I just get connected at 0 kbps, but I am am definitely getting a connection. Try that out and see what happens.

<SJLB>
Sep 30, 2001, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by ctt1wbw:
<STRONG>

Are you using a Powerbook G3 or something? I had this exact same error! I tried everything I could think of and finally had to switch the selected modem in the modem control panel in system prefs. I had to deselect the internal Apple 56k modem and select the one just underneath it, the Apple Personal Modem, or whatever it's called. And you know what, I could connect to the internet. Now the connect speed doesn't show up at all, I just get connected at 0 kbps, but I am am definitely getting a connection. Try that out and see what happens.</STRONG>
I had the same problem with the 10.1 internal modem script.
You can fix the problem by copying the PB G3 Series modem script from OS 9.2.1 extensions modem scripts to /Library/Modem Scripts/ in 10.1 and select it from the network prefs and you should be able to get it working properly. Now the connect speed shows up.

sungwoo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2001, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by &lt;SJLB&gt;:
<STRONG>

I had the same problem with the 10.1 internal modem script.
You can fix the problem by copying the PB G3 Series modem script from OS 9.2.1 extensions modem scripts to /Library/Modem Scripts/ in 10.1 and select it from the network prefs and you should be able to get it working properly. Now the connect speed shows up.</STRONG>
Yes, I use blazing fast world leading Wallstreet 233MHz.

I only have 'Powerbook G3 Internal 56k' modem script in the modem script from 9.2.1 system extention. Is this same one what you mention?
If not, could you send the script to me please?
I will try this when I am back to my home tonight.
Thanks!!!!!!!!! (fingers cross)

sungwoo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2001, 01:35 PM

Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!!!!!!!!!

Now I can connect internet via modem!!
Thanx guys.

Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2001, 01:46 PM

10.1 finally has given me the motive to move onto osx, i just ordered it a few days ago, i should have it by next week, this topic has gotten me thinkin, i have a serial modem right now thats connected to a belkin serial to usb adapter, do you guys have any idea if this configuration would work in osx?

Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2001, 09:13 AM

*bump*

anyone?

kkneisley
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2001, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by Jsnuff1:
<STRONG>*bump*

anyone?</STRONG>
Heh. Thin ice or uncharted territory? I don't use a modem except for fax, but I'd venture to guess that it comes down to scripts and if OS X will recognize the modem brand and model.

Good luck.

BTW, anyone know how to fax in X yet? Will STF 5 work in classic with a G4 and it's stock internal modem?

Forum Links
Forum Rules