Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Copy Picture from Web site

Copy Picture from Web site
Don Greenbucks99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2008, 03:26 AM

Hi, can anyone out there explain to me how to copy a photograph from a web site? I want to add them to my collections of window savers pictures. Thankyou, Don PS, I have a Imac and I have no left or right buttons to push,,,,,
( Last edited by Don Greenbucks99; Dec 27, 2008 at 03:34 AM. Reason: to explain my situation better)

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2008, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Don Greenbucks99 View Post
Hi, can anyone out there explain to me how to copy a photograph from a web site? I want to add them to my collections of window savers pictures. Thankyou, Don PS, I have a Imac and I have no left or right buttons to push,,,,,
Control (ctrl) & Click (mouse)

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

red rocket
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2008, 08:18 AM

Or just drag them to the Desktop or wherever.

Westfoto
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2008, 12:10 AM

This is stealing. Photos are Copyrighted by the person who took them; the Photographer.
Mac Pro - 12 GB RAM - 30" & 23" Displays - 10.7.1
MacBook Pro - 2 GB RAM - 10.6.8
Airport Extreme • Canon iPF5000 • PIXMA Pro9000 • Xerox N2125

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2008, 04:02 AM

Putting an image on a public Web site is implicit consent for it to be downloaded to a computer — that's the entire point of the Web. We're not talking about hacking somebody's hard drive here.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2008, 04:13 AM

How in the world did a software question from a person using an iMac end up in the Power Mac forum?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

OreoCookie
Dec 28, 2008, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Westfoto View Post
This is stealing. Photos are Copyrighted by the person who took them; the Photographer.
Copyrighted, yes. Stealing? Nope. But when the photographer (or the person that has the copyright) publishes it, the copyright holder is aware that the public can see and `consume' the image. As long as they don't claim copyright for that or use it commercially, this is legal.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2008, 07:54 AM

Yes, it's legal, especially considering the fact that one has to download and essentially make a local copy of a site in order to access it. There's no way to enforce a copyright for someone making personal use of images on a public site.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Westfoto
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2008, 12:43 PM

Viewing is legal. Downloading the image is NOT. As a Moderator you should know this!
Mac Pro - 12 GB RAM - 30" & 23" Displays - 10.7.1
MacBook Pro - 2 GB RAM - 10.6.8
Airport Extreme • Canon iPF5000 • PIXMA Pro9000 • Xerox N2125

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 28, 2008, 12:53 PM

Viewing is legal. Downloading the image is NOT. As a Moderator you should know this!
You are wrong. There are many reasons, all legal, to download and save images found online. Scholarly research is one, as are recording a series of photos taken of the same subject to compare them against each other (celebrities, hardware, vehicles, etc.) and maintaining a copy as a reference for future use.

The only thing that is illegal is presenting such photos as if they were your own. While most people don't bother with it, it's also quite important to cite where such pictures came from if you post them. A good metadata editor is great for that (and I wish I could find one!) so that the citation always goes with the picture.

But downloading a picture off the Internet is NOT illegal. Many places post pictures for that very purpose. Go look at LolCats as an example. These pictures are copyrighted (by default any work is automatically copyrighted as soon as it's created, at least in the U.S.), but that does NOT mean that their distribution is limited or controlled in any way.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

OreoCookie
Dec 28, 2008, 01:05 PM

Sorry, but you're the one that's wrong here. Don't think that you're the only one with copyrighted material online (in my case it's text mostly, but anyway).

Unless you've protected your files (e. g. as a password-protected pdf), as soon as you put them online, you are offering them to be downloaded. Just viewing a webpage means downloading and rendering its content. As soon as you publish your photos, the person who publishes the photo (and I assume that this person also holds the copyright), this person publishes it with the intent for other people to be downloaded.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2008, 01:23 PM

The Hot Babes thread would be doomed otherwise
45/47

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2008, 03:14 PM

Your iMac DOES have a right-click if you want it, but get used to being on a Mac:

You want to put something somewhere? Grab it with the mouse and drag it there.

Save an image off a webpage into iPhoto? Grab it in the browser window and drag it into the iPhoto window. Or onto the iPhoto icon. Or onto the desktop. Or into a folder in a Finder window. Or directly into a text document. Or into an e-mail.

This is the FOUNDATION of how the Mac works, not some afterthought that works under certain circumstances, in a handful of programs, as in windows.

This is also the reason you don't *need* a right-click (having right-click available by default would encourage developers to go the lazy route and produce the same kind of convoluted hunt-for-the-function crap as 95% of Windows software is).

It is also the reason why there is no full-screen mode on the Mac except for presentation or photo editing - needlessly blanking out screen real estate is a complete waste of space and severely impedes being able to work intuitively across windows and applications (based on the task and content, rather than the application).

Forum Links
Forum Rules