Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Is it starting already?

Is it starting already? (Page 2)
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2010, 03:44 PM

I agree with stupendousman, actually. It is dangerous to discourage party switching, because this encourages political calculation over sincerity in beliefs. It is perfectly natural and human to have beliefs change over time. However, there are also politicians who would switch purely for perceived political gains and nothing more.

It's very hard to read and assess which applies for certain people, especially when there is confusing information such as Leiberman advocating for a medicare buy-in into the health care bill, and then just weeks later saying that he is firmly against this. His mind *could* have changed in a matter of weeks, but it also seems a little odd that this just happens to be the same time his name is plastered all over the news because of the power he represented. Power corrupts!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2010, 04:05 PM

I'm just glad we can get the hell out of Dodd.

*rimshot*

-t

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2010, 04:29 PM

I thought Mark Sanford was giving the rimshots?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2010, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I thought Mark Sanford was giving the rimshots?
Thats a different kind of "***shot" and its $9.99 a month to view on the internet.

stupendousman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2010, 07:38 AM

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2010, 02:01 AM

What are you getting excited about, stupendousman? There are 6 senate Republican retiring after their current term as opposed to 2 Democrats, 14 house Republicans vs. 10 Democrats, and 5 Rep governors vs. 3 Democrats. As far as the 3 Democrats who just announced, there are chances that 2 of those 3 could re-elect a Democrat.
( Last edited by besson3c; Jan 8, 2010 at 02:21 AM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2010, 02:40 AM

The difference is, the Democrats can't afford losing a single Senator. Else, their idiocy might come to a stop.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2010, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
The difference is, the Democrats can't afford losing a single Senator. Else, their idiocy might come to a stop.

-t

Remember that conversation we had about trolling? Is it really necessary to provoke people by accusing their party of choice of idiocy (true or not)? Are we talking party strategery or playing political football?

I don't mean to belabor this point, I just hope you start to see that there are definitions of trolling that differ wildly from yours.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2010, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post

-t
Because Republicans can afford to lose a half a dozen Senators?

Have you hear of the Whig party?
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Monique
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2010, 01:16 AM

I told you so. He is going one of the worst president your country will ever have after Bush. But, no one will say so because the guy is black.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2010, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Monique View Post
I told you so. He is going one of the worst president your country will ever have after Bush. But, no one will say so because the guy is black.
Do you come here often? There are plenty of people here that are happy to pronounce him the worst president ever. I think you should apologize for referring to them as "no one".

Monique
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2010, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Do you come here often? There are plenty of people here that are happy to pronounce him the worst president ever. I think you should apologize for referring to them as "no one".
I have been away for some time. I am glad that people consider him as any other human being with tons of faults. Strangely I agree with the conservatives with this one.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2010, 02:07 AM

I assure you, there are many non-conservatives in here that are aware of the fact that he is a regular human being too! I don't think the conservatives hold a monopoly over that view.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2010, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I assure you, there are many non-conservatives in here that are aware of the fact that he is a regular human being too! I don't think the conservatives hold a monopoly over that view.
As a regular human being where do I apply for some affirmative action? Quotas? Bussing? So much for were all just regular people.

Monique
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2010, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Orion27 View Post
As a regular human being where do I apply for some affirmative action? Quotas? Bussing? So much for were all just regular people.
Although affirmative action was essential at some point, it is not today. Also, have you noticed that people who are speaking about racism are those that really never suffered any.

Montezuma58
Senior User
Jan 25, 2010, 04:29 PM

Here's a local article about Griffith switching: The Parker Griffith switch: What led him to join the GOP, and how it affects District 5 | Breaking News from The Huntsville Times - al.com

However, according to the congressional newspaper Roll Call, there was a poll.
On Dec. 23, one day after the switch, Roll Call wrote:
"Griffith's office confirmed Wednesday afternoon that the Congressman's campaign had commissioned the poll and that the Congressman had seen the results of the survey before he made his announcement on Tuesday that he would leave the Democratic Party. Griffith's office declined to release the specific polling questions or the results of the survey."
Griffith said Friday that he left for ideological reasons, that the party of 2008 had left him behind. But that explanation appears to contradict elements of his earlier campaigns.
This is pretty much what I expected. Griffith saw the writing on the wall that he would not get re-elected as a democrat.

I don't think he'll get re-elected as a republican either. The Madison County Republicans have already passed a resolution saying to vote for anybody else but Griffith. Madison county is the largest in the district with about half the population in the district. It seems to me all he'll accomplish is screwing the 5th district of AL out of year on a couple of key committee spots.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2010, 05:00 PM

John Murtha saw the writing on the wall as well. Got out while he could.

(too soon?)
( Last edited by ort888; Feb 8, 2010 at 06:11 PM. )

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 8, 2010, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Monique View Post
Although affirmative action was essential at some point, it is not today. Also, have you noticed that people who are speaking about racism are those that really never suffered any.
I was denied college scholarships because of my race, sexual orientation, and gender.

I'm not sure how you can say I haven't suffered discrimination.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2010, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I was denied college scholarships because of my race, sexual orientation, and gender.

I'm not sure how you can say I haven't suffered discrimination.
Didn't qualify for a basketball scholarship either?
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

stupendousman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2010, 02:39 PM

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2010, 03:22 PM

And Bayh was one of the more reasonable Democrats.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules