Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > My Places on google maps on iphone?

My Places on google maps on iphone?
kman42
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2010, 12:30 PM

Is there any way to see the places I save on a desktop computer on my iPhone? It definitely isn't an option in the Apple version of Maps, but I thought it might be there in the mobile browser version of google maps. I poked around and couldn't find it.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2010, 12:32 PM

Oops. NM.

asxless
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2010, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
Is there any way to see the places I save on a desktop computer on my iPhone? ...
Amazingly My Maps data (way points, tracks, etc.) saved in Google Maps while on a Mac/PC are immediately available in Google EARTH on the iPhone. But AFAIK they are NOT available in Google Maps on the iPhone, where IMO they would be much more useful. I'm hoping this is just a temporary discontinuity in the time space continuum at Google. But you never know.

Frankly I was originally very excited about Google Earth on the iPhone. But it is so limited by not having even the standard layers (e.g. roads, place names, etc. ) that is more of a proof of concept/capability compared to Google Maps. OTOH it does have limited capability to download something approaching a kml via My Maps.

asxless in iLand

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2010, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by asxless View Post
Amazingly My Maps data (way points, tracks, etc.) saved in Google Maps while on a Mac/PC are immediately available in Google EARTH on the iPhone. But AFAIK they are NOT available in Google Maps on the iPhone, where IMO they would be much more useful. I'm hoping this is just a temporary discontinuity in the time space continuum at Google. But you never know.

Frankly I was originally very excited about Google Earth on the iPhone. But it is so limited by not having even the standard layers (e.g. roads, place names, etc. ) that is more of a proof of concept/capability compared to Google Maps. OTOH it does have limited capability to download something approaching a kml via My Maps.

asxless in iLand
That's bizarre. I wonder why they have it sync with Google Earth but neither version of maps for the iPhone where it would actually be useful.

asxless
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2010, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
That's bizarre. I wonder why they have it sync with Google Earth but neither version of maps for the iPhone where it would actually be useful.
I agree. I originally thought it was a typo or an omission. But sure enough the kmls I uploaded to My Maps, and the maps I produced directly in My Maps, sync with Google EARTH but not the iPhone Maps app. (AKA Google Maps) - DUH.

As I posted earlier, I'm hoping this is because of the timing glitch of Google adding functionality to one app vs the other. But I have this uneasy feeling that it may be due to 'politics' between Apple and Google.

FWIW we were not even interested in getting an iPhone prior to the 3Gs with both 3G and GPS capabilities. Our primary use of the iPhone is the Map app. and to a much lesser extent the Camera app and Safari. All the other apps (including iTunes) are nice to have but would not have caused us to get an iPhone.

asxless in iLand

Forum Links
Forum Rules