Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Final Cut Express: Why do I always have to render audio?

Final Cut Express: Why do I always have to render audio?
Andrman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2004, 11:16 PM

I thought I didn't have to do this? I'm on version 1.0.1. My camera is 32Khz, and I have set new projects up to 32Khz in the Easy Setup. Still, everytime I drag a clip to the timeline, it requires me to render the audio. I originally thought the problem was that the Easy Setup settings were for 48Khz, but after making new projects in 32 it still makes me render.

FCE has really been making me mad. There's things I understand and I go to look them up in the user manual, and it's of little help because it always mentions FCP things. I seriously think they just took the FCP manual and replaced Final Cut Pro with Final Cut Express everywhere it appeared.

Hollywood
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2004, 07:42 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Andrman:
There are several settings you have to make.
Besides the settings for capturing your DV-material, you must also give the right settings to your sequence.
You can check them by CTL + (left)mouse-button and select Properties.

Note FCE can also be called FCP-DV. It is like FCP but only fr DV-use.

Don't believe what you see.
See it and Believe it.

Richard Hollywood
Hollywood Special After Effects
www.hollywoodsae.com

Andrman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2004, 12:11 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hollywood:
Originally posted by Andrman:
There are several settings you have to make.
Besides the settings for capturing your DV-material, you must also give the right settings to your sequence.
You can check them by CTL + (left)mouse-button and select Properties.

Note FCE can also be called FCP-DV. It is like FCP but only fr DV-use.

Okay, I checked there, but I couldn't really change anything besides the timeline view options and some logging info. It said the sample rate of the sequence (32) and the format (DV).

I'm thinking this is because I imported my clips with iMovie, is that why? I tried capturing clips in FCE and I did not have to render.

grovberg
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2004, 11:23 AM

I have this same problem. I mostly use Vidi to capture my video since you can just set it to capture for a couple hours and still do other things on your machine. I even went as far as matching my capture settings to the properties of the render files, but I still end up having to render audio. Not only that, but if you render the audio and then nest the sequence somewhere else, you have to re-render all of the audio. It's incredibly frustrating.

Just to clarify, are you guys saying that the final cut pro doesn't have this render problem?

Please post if you figure something out, and I'll do the same. :-)

-grover

jac
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2004, 11:53 AM

Is there ny reason you must use 32kHz? 48 is better in practically all respects.

Andrman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2004, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by jac:
Is there ny reason you must use 32kHz? 48 is better in practically all respects.
Well I was under the impression that I have to use 32 because my camera records in 32. Is this correct?

Andrman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2004, 12:07 PM

I don't know if this is the problem, but I checked and if I import with FCE then it does not make me render audio. Maybe it's because we're using other methods of capturing

buddhabelly
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2004, 03:22 AM

I don't know if this is the problem, but I checked and if I import with FCE then it does not make me render audio. Maybe it's because we're using other methods of capturing
If you are recording with a minidv camera, most cams have 2 settings for audio capture: 12-bit 32khz or 16-bit 48khz. The latter is better quality audio.

Make sure that the sequence sample rate matches the sample rate you actually recorded.

Andrman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2004, 12:45 PM

Yeah my camera has that. These scenes were recorded in 32Khz 12 bit. I think the problem is iMovie, someone mentioned in Apple Discussions that iMovie encodes DV files while FCE uses QuickTime DV files, which will work but require rendering. That seems right, because I only have to render when I import with iMovie.

buddhabelly
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2004, 03:21 PM

Yeah my camera has that. These scenes were recorded in 32Khz 12 bit. I think the problem is iMovie, someone mentioned in Apple Discussions that iMovie encodes DV files while FCE uses QuickTime DV files, which will work but require rendering. That seems right, because I only have to render when I import with iMovie.
Maybe. I know that iMovie's format are elementrary DV streams, and FCP are just Quicktime movies with the DV codec.

drissa
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2004, 06:41 AM

If I get a new idea when I'm working with FCE, it needs rendering before I can continue thinking.

If I happen to make a cup of tea to help me get through the session, I have to render it before drinking it.

Hopefully, FCE 2 will help...

Forum Links
Forum Rules