Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > new pb: best install option (for lean mean machine)?

new pb: best install option (for lean mean machine)?
malcolm
Mar 17, 2005, 11:13 AM

Hi all,
I have a new pb, not yet out of the box, and my trusty Titanium containing the last four years of my digital life.
I know I can connect the two, and hold down the T key, and automatically rebuild my whole Titanium world on this new pb - - but I can't shake the idea that over my 4 years with the Ti, I've gathered all sorts of extra stuff I don't even know about, hidden files and preferences and programs, here and there, that might be bloating and slowing my system.

That's why I'm wondering. Should I (instead of copying over my Titanium hd):
- start up my new pb
- re-download and re-install all my 3rd-party software (I have a ton of it)
- and then drag in very specific folders from my Ti, such as (from my home folder), 'Documents', 'Library', and 'Pictures'?

Wouldn't this result in a leaner, meaner, faster new powerbook (which is what it's all about)???

Thanks for any advice,
Malcolm

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2005, 01:08 PM

That's what I did when I erase installed the begining of this year. I have a habit of collecting stupid little files here and there that I just lose track of, and I feel that once a year I should erase and install just to get those things out. I don't know if I have the best method but it works for me. On your current computer create a new folder on your desktop, then go find the files that you want to transfer to the new machine (be sure you know where all the files go, ie. your iTunes music, your iPhoto list, fonts, etc...), drag and copy them over to the folder you created, keep loading it up and up till your done, then turn off the Ti and hold T on startup, connect Ti to new Alu via Firewire (you should see the Ti HD as an external on your Alu desktop), open and find the folder that you put all your junk in and move it to your desktop, once on the Alu desktop place all files in appropriate places. As for Apps, I like to reinstall those fresh on the new machine but make sure you know what 3rd party apps could be loaded up on two different machines and which can't. I'm sure there's a better way than this, but I like my no brainer method.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

malcolm  (op)
Mar 17, 2005, 01:46 PM

Thanks iRez. Since I don't really know where, say, my data files are for DEVONthink or Personal Organizer, or any of the dozens of other programs I'm running - - would I not be safest just copying over my current 'Documents', 'Library', 'Movies', and 'Pictures' folders (from my current Home folder)?
Or, for example with my 'Library' folder, should I pick and choose which files to bring over, and which to leave?
Malcolm

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2005, 04:30 PM

All your applications should be under your Applications folder, if not try running a search in the search bar of any finder window (just put in the program name, it should find something). As for your home folder, I knew I had no stray files in there so I just copied the whole thing over, but if you suspect that you might have some of the stray files you mentioned in this folder...then by all means go ahead and go one by one.

I just realized that maybe it's a good idea to first copy your entire machine to the new Alu via the new software that all Mac's come with where during setup of a new computer, it asks you to connect to your previous machine so it could copy all your files over. Then, after it clones your old computer, just install your software restore disc back in and choose the Archive and Install option so that it'll keep all your files and apps in tact but reinstall the OS so that it'll be streamlined again. My Rev B doesn't have this software option so I've never really used it, but if it's as easy as it sounds I really think this second option might be loads faster. If it's not your cup of tea, then go ahead and do what I first mentioned.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

malcolm  (op)
Mar 17, 2005, 05:07 PM

thanks again iREZ... I will ponder all of the above! I appreciate the advice.
Malcolm

Forum Links
Forum Rules