Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Bluetooth mouse shoot-out: BT500 vs. MacAlly BTMicro vs. PilotMouse Mini

Bluetooth mouse shoot-out: BT500 vs. MacAlly BTMicro vs. PilotMouse Mini
malcolm
Apr 22, 2005, 05:24 PM

Hi there -
I've listed three Bluetooth mice. All designed for travelling (they all use AAA batteries); they all claim to be perfect in every way.

Radtech BT500: http://www.radtech.us/Products/BT500.aspx#
MacAlly BT Micro: http://www.macally.com/spec/usb/inpu...e/btmicro.html
Kensington PilotMouse Mini: http://www.kensington.com/html/6367.html

Some of the technical specs are lost on me, I have to admit.
I have a new powerbook, which has Bluetooth 2 - - the only one of the above mice that states to be Bluetooth II compatible is the Radtech, but for all I know, the others might be too.

Would anyone have advice about any of these three mice, or is it just a matter of aesthetics?

Thanks,
malcolm

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 05:50 PM

I have the Bluetake-branded BT500, and it works just fine. Pretty comfortable (considering its size, and i have big hands) and has never given me a problem. With a few hours' use per day, expect a set of alkalines to last a week or so. With rechargeables (i have 850mAh NiMH rechargeables from Battery Barn) it'll last 5 days or so, but you can keep a spare set charged, or just stick a set in the charger before you go to bed and have them ready to go next time you need the mouse. If you need a travel-sized mouse, i definitely recommend it.

"I start fires!"

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2005, 05:54 PM

i have the (older) kensington bt mouse (the pocketmouse), and love it.

probably an aesthetic choice; the radtech is a nice design, but seems too small.
the macally means a commitment to docking it, maybe not a bad thing.
the kensington i may move to (altho i dont really need it..!)

anyone else??
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

spatterson
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 06:19 PM

I still use the M$ BT mouse... It eats batteries like crazy, but other than that it works well.

malcolm  (op)
Apr 22, 2005, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by spatterson
I still use the M$ BT mouse... It eats batteries like crazy, but other than that it works well.
I appreciate all the responses - - very informative. I can add a little bit: I think the Macally takes AA batteries as well, if you need them, so you don't have to commit to the dock. I also like the look of the radtech, and its specs may be the most impressive, but it's too technical for me to know - - I just notice that radtech is the only one that claims to be BT2. Does that mean the others are just BT 1?
The only reason I'm hesitating (and not ordering the radtech BT500 right now) is because I already own a Kensington, and I really like it. But it works with MouseWorks (provided by Kensington), which allows me to speed up the mouse, and do things like that - - and the problem with the Kensington BT PilotMouse mini... is that it doesn't use MouseWorks. So this mouse loses that advantage.
Hmmm...
Malcolm

selowitch
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2005, 08:27 PM

My Iogear BT Mini-Mouse is pretty good. Compact, two buttons, scroll wheel, very precise and responsive. There are durability problems with buttons, though. Mine is back at the company for repair right now.
( Last edited by selowitch; May 1, 2005 at 11:44 AM. )

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2005, 10:41 AM

I have the MacAlly Micro and love it! Thought and thought about the dock issue, and it works out fine. No need to dock until/unless you need to recharge. And the batteries do not run down quickly at all! I leave mine on the desk only and have gone well over a week without docking (not continuous use, though -- this is my home computer, and I'm at work all day). For travelling, dock not needed -- just take a couple of extra recharged batteries, or non-rechargable ones are available anywhere in a pinch. The paperwork says not to use regular batteries because "recharging" them could harm the mouse. But I feel like as long as I made sure to remove them before I docked it they would be fine.

It sleeps when the computer sleeps, and wakes up pretty quickly with a couple of clicks. Has an on/off switch too, which I have never used. Paired up immediately with my PB.

Anyway, my vote! Good luck!
Mary

macintologist
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 01:08 PM

http://www.radtech.us/Products/BT510.aspx

What do ya'll think of that? It has a USB wire for recharging the battery!

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist
http://www.radtech.us/Products/BT510.aspx

What do ya'll think of that? It has a USB wire for recharging the battery!

thought it had usb as an alternative to the bluetooth usage...
not a recharger.

but looks like a good mouse.

btw, as a lefty...why would i switch right&left buttons?
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

macintologist
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 03:29 PM

Hmm, maybe I'm confusing it with this other USB/Bluetooth mouth from IOGear

http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GME225B

Nice mouse, really, except it's sooo small :/

Forum Links
Forum Rules