Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Dell 2005FPW vs Cinema Display 20"

Dell 2005FPW vs Cinema Display 20" (Page 2)
osxisfun
Mar 13, 2005, 09:52 PM

Dell must me freaking out at the recent influx of web orders with user-agent - safari.

liquidtrance123
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2005, 11:07 PM

I've heard alot of reports of people having problems with the 2005 so after about 2 months of research and trying to decide i went with the 20in ACD, and i must say.....its pure sex
(Powermac) 2x 2.0Ghz / 2560MB DDR400 / Radeon x800xt / 2x 36GB Raptors (Raid 0)
20" Apple Cinema Display

Gdog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2005, 12:06 AM

Can "pixel density" be explained? I don't get that one.

And after hopping around from ACD to ACD at work, the color(backlighting) is pretty darn uneven...I can't wait to see the poor guy who has to try and exchange 'em. I don't think that's gonna happen.

I called Dell to exchange my current 2005FPW due to the severe backlighting issue ( I think ALL LCD's are uneven to a point). Ten minutes on the phone and I have a new one on its way. Try that with Apple!

Anyway, after using the 2005FPW with the brightness turned down and going into "Color Settings" and bringing all down to 90 gives me a comparable brightness level to the CRT's I am (was) used to. However, using the ACD's at work has dialed my comfort level up a notch.

And I must say...in a dim room while I am doing work, I sure ain't looking at the stand, or the bezel. Sure I think the Cinema Displays are sexy, but I guess I'm over the whole "buy Apple, pay Double" thing.

Now, if Dell only made a box that ran OSX....

-G

osxisfun
Mar 14, 2005, 12:35 AM

for me , when i look at text on a white background. (web site, mail etc)

the letters look better antialiased on my apple 20" then the dell. the apple text looks like the word is just 'cleaner'

that and the industrial design would make me go apple as my first monitor. then either one for a second or third.

ctj
Mar 15, 2005, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by Gdog:
Can "pixel density" be explained? I don't get that one.
Sure, no problem...

Pixel density is the number of pixels in a given dimension. So, for example, let's say that you had a monitor with a (native) resolution of 1680x1050 (WxH). Let's also say that your monitor is 20" (on the diagonal), and has a 16:10 ratio (W:H). This makes your vertical screen size about 10.6 inches (or so).

Now, in that 10.6", we've got 1050 pixels, which is a little less than 100 pixels per inch, which is what Apple says is the Best Resolution for Images and Words.

(Coincidentally, the Dell 2005FPW which I just ordered has those same specs... Should be here tomorrow morning, according to UPS. Yeah!)

Gdog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2005, 03:06 AM

that's what I thought. I was thinking I was missing something with osxisfun's "better pixel density" comment

It's pretty hard to be disappointed with the dell......

ctj
Mar 15, 2005, 04:15 PM

Just got the 2005FPW in, and man... it is a beautiful display. No dead pixels, rock bottom price ($486.75, shipped), ... just plain gorgeous any way you look at it.

I'm coming from dual 15" Apple Studio displays (the original LCD DVI graphite ones), and I was concerned about this being a lateral move (or worse, a step back). Even though there's less physical space taken up, there's more screen real estate, and it's tremendous.

I am a very happy camper.

Captain Egotist
Banned
Mar 15, 2005, 05:21 PM

I have a 20" cinema (ACD style) and it's fan-freakin-tastic. No dead pixels, nothing. Only move might be to get another one. I can't believe the viewing angle on this thing, and how insanely vibrant it is. Woot Apple.

bighill
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2005, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by ctj:
Just got the 2005FPW in, and man... it is a beautiful display. No dead pixels, rock bottom price ($486.75, shipped), ... just plain gorgeous any way you look at it.

I'm coming from dual 15" Apple Studio displays (the original LCD DVI graphite ones), and I was concerned about this being a lateral move (or worse, a step back). Even though there's less physical space taken up, there's more screen real estate, and it's tremendous.

I am a very happy camper.
Where and how did you get this for $486.75? I'll jump on one.

ctj
Mar 15, 2005, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by bighill:
Where and how did you get this for $486.75? I'll jump on one.
I got it from the Dell on-line store last week. They had the 25% off deal going on, which took it to $561.75. Then I found a $75 off coupon on the 'net somewhere, and that took it to the rock bottom price. The coupon I used is now expired, and I haven't found another one that works yet. The 25% off price, however, is good until 3/16.

Like many who've read this thread, I would have liked to have given my money to Apple. But when I can get the same monitor for half the price... it's a done deal.

Woot Apple.

Captain Egotist
Banned
Mar 15, 2005, 06:52 PM

But when I can get the same monitor for half the price... it's a done deal.
But that's just it: IT ISNT THE SAME. Sure, same resolution, same size... but a lot of differences. Just use the search button to see how many people with Dell 2005FPWs are having brightness problems, backlighting problems, etc.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a good deal, despite all the problems people are having with them.... but it's not nearly the same quality as the apple cinema display.

- Rob

ctj
Mar 15, 2005, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by Captain Egotist:
But that's just it: IT ISNT THE SAME. Sure, same resolution, same size... but a lot of differences. Just use the search button to see how many people with Dell 2005FPWs are having brightness problems, backlighting problems, etc.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a good deal, despite all the problems people are having with them.... but it's not nearly the same quality as the apple cinema display.
I've been reading all the threads on MacNN and Macintouch as well as reading the reviews from places like endgadget and C|NET. It seemed most people had problems with the first generation of the Dells, and those who have a second revision (A01) are very much pleased.

I pored over and considered all the available info I could before I pulled the trigger. Mine is an A01, manufactured in February 2005, and it looks really good. It doesn't have any of these problems others have been plagued with.

I've been to the Apple Store and have seen the very nice displays there. I guarantee you my eyes can't tell the difference. I freely admit that I might be biased by the money that still remains in my wallet...

osxisfun
Mar 15, 2005, 08:34 PM

I've got both in front of me. There is a diff. It's up to each person thought to decide if the diff is worth $500. until you see them both up close its tough to to say there is not.

Here's a tip: If you are into games(like you have a pc for this) or watching video on your computer or you are adding it as a 2nd or 3rd screen then the dell is the better buy.

the dual (quad) inputs are GREAT for having cross platform dev as you can have them both hooked up at the same time. very nice.

If you want better industrial design and better "subjective term" picture quality and pixel density and its going to be your main monitor then go apple if you have the extra cash.

ps. they are still TOO BRIGHT. Arg....

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2005, 08:53 PM

I went for the ACD, purely on aesthetics. Have to return it because the left side is too bright, but otherwise am pleased with my decision. I'll never use it on anything other than a Mac, so all the spare inputs in the world mean nothing to me.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Gdog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2005, 10:41 PM

My replacement showed up today at work.....I'm gonna do a side by side with a 23 ACD.

I think the only differences are with the Bezel and the name tag.

And I can tell you why there are more people complaining about the Dell. They probably sold twenty for every ACD sold

Gdog

X-Ray
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2005, 07:29 PM

My Dell 2005fpw is just a great monitor. Bright picture and unlike my Powerbook no dead pixels. There is one gotcha to the Dells. These suckers pump out some major heat once they're warmed up!

osxisfun
Mar 16, 2005, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by X-Ray:
My Dell 2005fpw is just a great monitor. Bright picture and unlike my Powerbook no dead pixels. There is one gotcha to the Dells. These suckers pump out some major heat once they're warmed up!
Holy crap you are right. My apples are downright pleasant compared to the dells...friggin a I thought things were a little warmer the past couple of days...

of course its no longer winter so i can not use this "feature" as much.

ctj
Mar 17, 2005, 01:35 AM

Man... I don't have that heat issue here. I've had it going non-stop since I unpacked it a couple of days ago, and there's no heat to speak of.

Very curious...

osxisfun
Mar 17, 2005, 12:30 PM

Man... I don't have that heat issue here. I've had it going non-stop since I unpacked it a couple of days ago, and there's no heat to speak of.

Very curious...
mayb you have air conditioning. i don't

Its only been on for a half hour and its fine now... must take a couple of hours.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2005, 06:18 PM

Does either monitor have a "power brick" or are they both directly pluged into the wall?
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2005, 06:37 PM

Oh well ...

I was about to place my order for the Dell, and when I got to the web-site I noticed that the price has gone back up and is now knocking at the door of $700.

Since I can get the ACD for $899 with my student discount the price differential isn't that great any more ....

I'll wait a day or two, but if the price for the Dell stays where it's at I might as well get the ACD.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

ctj
Mar 17, 2005, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by driven:
Does either monitor have a "power brick" or are they both directly pluged into the wall?
The 2005FPW (and I would imagine the other Dell one as well) does not have a power brick. You can take one of the standard computer AC cords and plug it right in to the wall (or your Power Mac).

From reading around the 'net, it seems that Dell has these kinds of sales periodically. Unless you're looking to spend your money now, I'd suggest holding on to it for a month or so and see if another deal doesn't pop up. (Yeah, I know, you can get trapped in that waiting game mentality, but it seems like Dell's specials are monthly.)

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2005, 10:47 PM

The 2005FPW (and I would imagine the other Dell one as well) does not have a power brick. You can take one of the standard computer AC cords and plug it right in to the wall (or your Power Mac).

From reading around the 'net, it seems that Dell has these kinds of sales periodically. Unless you're looking to spend your money now, I'd suggest holding on to it for a month or so and see if another deal doesn't pop up. (Yeah, I know, you can get trapped in that waiting game mentality, but it seems like Dell's specials are monthly.)
I'll hold as long as I can, but I just sold my old monitor. For the moment I'm using a crappy old CRT and I forgot how godaweful the are. :-)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

OldCodger73
Mar 17, 2005, 11:26 PM

Driven, when you're checking prices be sure and try both Dell's Home/Home Business and Small Business sections; often times one has a sale while the other doesn't. And do check
http://www.techbargains.com/dellcoupons.cfm
for coupons that might bring the price down.
PM G5 Dual 2.5, 3.5GB RAM, 160GB & 250GB HDs, Formac 17" FPD, 20" Dell 2005FPW
TiBook 867 1GB RAM, 80GB HD, Formac 20" FPD
PM G4 Dual 450; 1.25GB RAM, 30GB & 80 GB HDs

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2005, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by OldCodger73:
Driven, when you're checking prices be sure and try both Dell's Home/Home Business and Small Business sections; often times one has a sale while the other doesn't. And do check
http://www.techbargains.com/dellcoupons.cfm
for coupons that might bring the price down.
Thanks ... I've been doing just that. The big coupons that were on techbargains today were all expired, unfortunately.

I'll keep checkin' ....
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

ctj
Mar 18, 2005, 04:18 PM

Thanks ... I've been doing just that. The big coupons that were on techbargains today were all expired, unfortunately.

I'll keep checkin' ....
Check this out!

Using coupons from dealcoupon, I can get the price down to $534.20, shipped. Go to this page on dealcoupon and use the "$65 off $650" and "20% off select monitors" coupons, and you should be golden. Note that one of the coupons ends on 3/19, and the other on 3/24.

Hope it helps!

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2005, 04:32 PM

Check this out!

Using coupons from dealcoupon, I can get the price down to $534.20, shipped. Go to this page on dealcoupon and use the "$65 off $650" and "20% off select monitors" coupons, and you should be golden. Note that one of the coupons ends on 3/19, and the other on 3/24.

Hope it helps!
Got it!

THANK YOU!
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2005, 02:11 PM

The Apple one does, it's pretty small though. It's where the AC/DC converter lives.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Link
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2005, 06:38 PM

Yeah the power brick probably causes a small amount of heat which having inside the monitor would cause things to build up faster.
Aloha

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2005, 07:30 PM

which is the reason that the Dell has many many vents and the Apple does not.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Link
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2005, 07:31 PM

maaaaaaaaaybe... It could also be a cheap backlight that produces a lot more heat or something of that nature.
Aloha

osxisfun
Mar 19, 2005, 09:43 PM

but the old pinstripe apple 20" lcd do not have a brick. but they are pretty cool. escpecially compared to my DULL.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2005, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by osxisfun:
but the old pinstripe apple 20" lcd do not have a brick. but they are pretty cool. escpecially compared to my DULL.
The older ADC monitors use the power-supply in your PC.
(Power is transmitted through the video card)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

hedgehogfrenzy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2005, 01:23 PM

I haven't had any noticible heat issues with my 2005fpw rev. 1A. I should check that out....

- David

osxisfun
Mar 20, 2005, 01:33 PM

i think i figured it out.

its a logarithmic thing.

If the day is not hot or if you have air conditioing, you prop will not notice.

If its a hot day then as the day gets hotter both the apple and dell will obviously getting warmer, but the dell willl get MUCH warmer in comparison to the apple.those that mentioned the powerbrick inside the dell and the bright bulbs are prob right.

if you live somewhere hot like phoenix or texas you should prob keep an eye on it as summer gets closer...

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2005, 09:35 PM

Bumped to keep on page 1.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2005, 08:13 PM

My two 20" 2001FPs together produce very little heat. The cases are barely warm to the touch.


Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2005, 09:41 PM

Ordered mine today. With shipping, came out to $497.11. Email acknowledgement says ships next Thursday. Seems kinda long, especially when I usually order stuff from newegg. Newegg gets stuff out the door very, very fast.

linusone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2005, 07:35 PM

Hate to say it, but this long time Apple diehard got a Dell. After reading the replies re: the 2005 FPW, and the cost, I had to give it a shot. Ordered it Wednesday afternoon, got it Friday. And that was using their free ground shipping. Nice.

Anyway, I love this monitor. Awesome quality. Not as uh, "pure" color as my Pbook 17", but well worth it.

My question to those who have one as well, are you using the color profile that automatically loads with OSX, or making your own? The colors seem to be a little "too bright", but I'm sure I can adjust them. Would really like anyone's input, especially those using it for Photoshop, web sites, etc.

I will say, if anyone asks my opinion on a LCD purchase, I'll tell them to save $400 and choose the *gasp* Dell over the Apple cinemas. In our offices, I see no difference in the screen.

Now, I will never speak of Dell's quality again. Any creative solutions to covering the "DULL" logo on the front?

ctj
Apr 11, 2005, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by linusone:
My question to those who have one as well, are you using the color profile that automatically loads with OSX, or making your own? The colors seem to be a little "too bright", but I'm sure I can adjust them. Would really like anyone's input, especially those using it for Photoshop, web sites, etc.
I do web creation and some Photoshop work. I started with the default profile for the 2005FPW, but I didn't like it, so I rolled my own. When I had the original Apple 15" LCDs, I rolled my own with those too, so it's not just an Apple vs. Dell thing. I guess I believe that my eyes are better than the computer's default profiles.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2005, 08:39 AM

Got mine yesterday. One word: wow!!!

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2005, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by linusone
Any creative solutions to covering the "DULL" logo on the front?
sharpie marker?
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2005, 04:31 PM

FYI, the 2005FPW is $384 shipped today.

http://www.ableshoppers.com/#15042162

WOWOW!
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2005, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by azdude
FYI, the 2005FPW is $384 shipped today.

http://www.ableshoppers.com/#15042162

WOWOW!
Expired.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2005, 02:32 PM

just ordered my 20 incher yesterday...came out to $425 total in the state of california, not too shabby if you ask me, i'll post my thoughts on it asap. for those of you who are lookin for a nice 17" lcd...check out my post in the marketplace (cheap plug).

nickw311
Senior User
Apr 27, 2005, 09:39 AM

I have a 19" Dell Ultrasharp and I have been very satisfied with it. The two issues I do not like however is that it will not mount on the wall and I have the wakeup issue also.... Don't know how to fix that one.
27" iMac C2D

boazh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2005, 11:47 AM

Ok you guys... listen to this... I debated on getting this Dell UltraSharp 2005FP Wide Flat Panel for awhile now. I got sick of my Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 200 CRT... after reading all the responses here and talking to some Dell reps that were really impatiant with me I decided to go ahead and order it. For along time the price was $749 and there were some copuns on the net for some discounts...but not a great deal... Yesterday, on the Dell site it was $487! I was at work so I couldn't order it. Last night (really late) I placed my order. This morning the price jumped by about $100! Wow, am I lucky or what... anyway, it says ship date it 5/3 a little disapointing but ok since I got free shipping. I'm looking forward to see it in action especially after all the great reviews I read about it... Thanks MacNN ! I love this forum

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2005, 01:50 PM

Keep an eye on it over the next day or so. If the price drops before it ships call them up and tell them to cancel your order and place a new one with the new price. I did that and saved $70.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

lunaticbunny
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2005, 04:57 PM

Anyone from Canada ever get these killer sweet deals that our american friends get?? Dell.ca has the 2005FP for $854.10cdn(never found any coupons for displays) while the 20" ACD is $899 with student discount.
17" PowerBook 1.33GHz
1GB Ram

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 2, 2005, 04:52 PM

i absolutely love my 20"....i have no problems with it and it works great. i can't believe what widescreen resolution can do to a designer whose never worked on illy or ps with a widescreen before. and now i have somewhere to plug my shuffle into so it could charge (stupid ports on the 12" powerbook are too close to each other and i couldnt use a keyboard and shuffle at the same time).

Forum Links
Forum Rules